Are night sights worth it?

Gaz

Thanks for sharing, Nate. The most convincing argument for night sights, for me at least, was the fact that regardless of the conditions you want to be able to see your sights. With that, we prepare for the worst, do we not? Why not add some more capability?

SCSU74

I wish someone would make a serrated front sight with a F/O rod set up high with a tritium tube directly under it that would light it up enough for it to be useful in low light.
Currently I run HD's on my duty & training guns, serrated F/O front with serrated black rears on my competition guns and tritium front (wish it was serrated) with serrated blacked out rear on my bedside gun.
Basically I've come to find a serrated front and back with a visible dot on the front and nothing on the back to be the best for me.

Not sure what your duty gun is, but they make them for Glock and M&P: http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-vsgl-fb.htm

King's_Own

Amateur
Sample size of one, but following my OIS I took cover in a deeply shadowed area with two offenders outstanding and back up on the way. If they had chose to return to the scene I likely would not have used my WML to engage for fear of compromising my position and would not have been able to pick my sights up otherwise. Narrow scope I realize but why not have the capability?

TCB

Amateur
Not sure what your duty gun is, but they make them for Glock and M&P: http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-vsgl-fb.htm

It's a P2000...and what I'm thinking (wanting) is that I only want the F/O rod visible. I'm thinking that a tritium rod would be imbedded underneath it in the sight so that it would glow up towards the F/O rod illuminateing it without it actually being visible. Some sort of self illuminated F/O setup that would almost act like a red dot on the front sight. If that makes any sense?

Fatboy

Established
Sample size of one, but following my OIS I took cover in a deeply shadowed area with two offenders outstanding and back up on the way. If they had chose to return to the scene I likely would not have used my WML to engage for fear of compromising my position and would not have been able to pick my sights up otherwise. Narrow scope I realize but why not have the capability?

Sounds like you were able to assess the situation and keep your head in the game when all hell broke loose. Good job on winning the fight and keeping yourself ready for any possible counter attacks.

SCSU74

It's a P2000...and what I'm thinking (wanting) is that I only want the F/O rod visible. I'm thinking that a tritium rod would be imbedded underneath it in the sight so that it would glow up towards the F/O rod illuminateing it without it actually being visible. Some sort of self illuminated F/O setup that would almost act like a red dot on the front sight. If that makes any sense?

Like these? The trit is behind the FO, invisible during the day, but it illuminates the FO at night: https://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-handgun-sights.asp

N

nate89

I bought a sig a couple years ago that came with the TFO front sight from the factory. The downsides I saw were it is a very fat sight, which is opposite of what I prefer now. Also, once the fiber flies out (only a matter of time, especially if you shoot a decent bit), it is pretty much impossible to re-install a new one in a way that works as well as the original factory install. On the plus side, it did have the fiber and tritium right in line which is a good idea in concept. Once my fiber came out, I just put in a few fiber, and superglued it in. It doesn't really work as well anymore, but it was a quick fix until I got a new set of sights.

SCSU74

Except that TruGlo has been making shitty sights for awhile now. Their Glocks sights are not very durable.

I've heard that, thought it might be worth trying out for the guy that asked. I'm not aware of any other trit/FO combo sights?

I've personally been happy with HD sights, I have them on all my pistols including duty, the only issue I've had was with my M&P. The orange ring fell out during fire, Trij sent a new one and haven't had the problem replicate.

RDS are currently being T/E'd, would like to go that route if possible.