Are Any Non-AR Rifles Really a Good-to-Go Option?

Member Paul Taylor posed an interesting question on the FB side: "This is more of an academic exercise than anything else: Are there any non-AR pattern rifles that are good-to-go? (Training/serious use.)

Recent press and unfounded obsession with the platform had me wondering what else is out there and is still worth considering as a legitimate contender."

Mods Noah Tramposh and Lee Gullett suggested I post my reply over here as well:

I gave this some thought and I think the answer revolves around what we each consider good-to-go. One thing that this thread has made obvious to me is that the modern AR-15 has come to rule the day on a truly grand scale and everything else is a comparative compromise in some way, despite a few designs perhaps having some specific superior attributes. So I think there are plenty of rifles that are "good-to-go" if your standards are rolled back by decades, but you are choosing to be handicapped.

Many of the rifles and carbines noted so far have been serious go-to guns for decades and still are for shooters around the world as evidenced by the Mini-14s seen in the recent French terror attacks. Yet most of us would not be caught dead choosing it for a fight because our standards have been raised so much in the past 25 years, and we have a choice. AUGs served serious units like the U.S. Customs Service, Tucson, Phoenix, and Dan Diego SWAT teams for decades. However, spotty parts availability, cost, limited upgradability, and arguably inferior usability compared to the modern AR platform and matching TTPs put them in the grave and turned them into boutique guns. I've owned one for 25 years and like them more than most, but it's still at the back of the safe now.

Can we still use an AUG as effectively as 25 years ago? Certainly, just like a Scout Rifle, HK91, or Marlin 336. On the spot they should all do the job if you know how to run it and it doesn't break, but an AR will arguably do everything more reliably, ergonomically, and sustainably with cheap and available parts and magazines, and with more enhancement options and ongoing development even after more than 50 years. The others didn't lose capability; the bar was simply raised.

The increasingly high volume of training we now expect a combative rifle to take has steadily shrunk what I consider truly viable alternative options. The thread's question is worth thinking about. For me the answer comes from another question: How rational do I want to be about this decision? For me the answer is no, I don't believe there is any reason I would intentionally choose a rifle other than an AR-15 at this point (other than local restrictions if I lived somewhere I was not allowed to own one).

I personally believe that their are several options for a Non AR weapon that would be Good to Go in terms of training and or duty use. However I believe before we look at different options we need a base understanding of what the AR does well and what it doesn't. The AR excels because of wide part availability as well as a pretty easy detail strip on the weapon. The vast number of aftermarket parts triggers etc can't be discounted. The ability of an AR owner to quickly change with one lower into several different uppers and uses based off mission parameters can't be discounted either. The old adage Mission dictates gear applies to this. At the same time an advantage is those of us with a military or LEO background have carried these weapons for years and Uncle Sugar has spent a lot of money making sure we understand and can utilize the weapon system. The disadvantages to an M4 for me is pretty straight forward, as a military armorer we are replacing parts every few months on our training weapons due to use. Dis-connectors, Extractors, Charging Handles, Butt stocks, the spring that goes under the trigger assembly are all areas I've personally seen break and had to repair. These are all the same issues that can be expected on a non select fire AR. Furthermore we need to take a look at when it comes time to replace the barrel, I have found that replacing the barrel on a M16 is an interesting proposition and without the proper tools and experience is something best left undone. Now what are the other options on the market that are non AR but use the M4 Magazine.

Some of the options are bull pups, while the AUG and MSAR are interesting propositions in terms of a training and or duty rifle. As previously mentioned part availability, and or aftermarket parts aren't there. It uses a non M4 style magazine, and I have found the trigger to be atrocious. With that being said he bullpup is purpose built for close quarters fighting. To match the overall length of a Tavor/X-95 etc you would need a 10-12" barrel on a M4. This meets with several problems in terms of ballistics as well as legal concerns. I have personally not had any issues outside of accuracy with my personal X-95, but that being said you have to overcome the training issues when it comes to a bullpup or non AR style rifle.

I personally choose the X-95 over the M4, and my best friend went with the CZ Bren 805. The Cost of each of these weapons was an easy $1600 before optics, or lights. Its at this time I think we need to look at overall price. By the time my X-95 is fully set up including Geissele trigger, Comp M4, and a Surefire flashlight I will be sitting over $2600 ish. I can pick an off the shelf M4 set it up including Geissele trigger for $1800 roughly. That would leave an extra $800 for training/ammo/mags etc.

Just off a cost basis an AR style weapon might be the better choice. However I personally prefer a Bullpup such as the X-95 or the SAR 21 compared to a M4. That being said I might have a couple AR-15s at my house as I personally enjoy assembling them and shooting them. But my go to is a X-95 and I personally don't see that changing.

K.O.A.M.

Amateur
I'm one of those guys that will use alternative rifles and such in training classes. I have a Beretta ARX100 SBR that I used for a day in an EAG Tactical class. It was set up like a duty rifle, just Italian. I have an AUG that I will use for our monthly rifle drills for instructors. I will qualify with a Greek G3 clone that I had cut down to 16.1" and a B&T mount with an Aimpoint. If these were all I had, I would not feel that was ill-armed.

That being said, my duty rifle is an AR. My backup duty rifle is an AR. My other three AR carbines would be next. Why? I've got the most experience with them, and they've been able to do everything that I need them to do in any duty role. My agency mandated AR's as duty rifles five years ago. Others were grandfathered in, but nothing's been approved since. We have a commonality of magazines, ammunition, and spare parts. All of the training classes I've taken (and I've taken a lot) were centered around using an AR-style rifle. When you rely on imported parts and magazines, you find yourself prowling Gunbroker and other places wondering if you should buy those Sig 550 magazines at $80 apiece because they're going to be $90 the next time you look.

My short answer-I think the AR is the best option for someone in the U.S. because of the development of the rifle and the abundance of magazines, ammunition, and training. I have no doubt that there are many other rifles that will allow someone to successfully defend themselves and would perform just fine in a duty role. I just believe they would require more effort and expense to get to the same level as someone who started with a good quality AR.

cedgington

Follow-up question to Jonathan's comment about parts breaking periodically on AR pattern rifles. What parts specifically would you recommend someone to have on hand to correct breakages, if they were so inclined? I mean, if I was going to keep a spare of a few parts in anticipation of something crapping out, what parts would those most likely be (if any other than the ones listed)?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Follow-up question to Jonathan's comment about parts breaking periodically on AR pattern rifles. What parts specifically would you recommend someone to have on hand to correct breakages, if they were so inclined? I mean, if I was going to keep a spare of a few parts in anticipation of something crapping out, what parts would those most likely be (if any other than the ones listed)?

That's a separate thread for workbench

275RLTW

Considering Presidental Protection Detail carry FN P90s, then the answer is yes.

Mission drives the gear which includes weapon. I've had to carry an AK as that was what was needed to blend in on that mission. I've used a FAL as well. Just picked up an M1 Carbine to run also (cleared more rooms in Germany than m4s in Iraq). Most people are hesitant to look outside the AR style platform as it requires learning new controls and getting out of your comfort zone. One lesson I've learned in the last 15 yrs of war is that you may not have YOUR gun in a fight. Your tricked out AR or Glock may be the shit on the range but not the one that works when the fight is on.

Ryan St.Jean

There are lots of valid options. AR, AK, the old battle rifles FAL, G3 family and M1A, also new stuff like the SIG MPX, Galil, etc.