Aimpoint Challenge

kyler801

Took my Strikefire II out to 546 yds just last weekend. Using a 4 MOA dot at the range with a 12"x12" plate makes things interesting to say the least. Took about 10 shots to see exactly where my POI was. Then within 5 rounds got a hit. It's more than possible as larry is showing us.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Lately I've enjoyed just going prone and shooting bullseyes with my rifles. Really works the fundamentals of shooting and is rewarding.

All I own are Aimpoints, with a mix of H-1, T-1 (4MOA) and a new 2 MOA T-1.

My range can go out past 300 to about 350 or so depending on whose measuring it.

AT Armor

Vendor
Last year 10-32 and MilWaukeeCOPS ran a zero400 carbine class that was a great exercise in using the carbine at distance. With a lot of carbine classes focused on pistol distance engagements it was good to stretch the range in a formal class. However, it was a significant challenge for some to use a 4MOA dot at 3 and 400 yds. A 1 or 2 MOA dot with a 3x at that distance is about it for me at this point.

kyler801

That sounds like an awesome class, alot of what I've been seeing from class footage is echoing what you said Bourneshooter. Stretcing my range out that far was something different then what i usually do. My usual range days are at ranges 7 - 35 yds.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Another benefit from shooting at distance is it really enforces trigger control.

Once you get that, you can really get better at close range.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
It's a great confidence builder. The Zero400 and variations of it are some of my favorite classes to run because of not only what I learn as I watch students, but to see their skills progressively exceed their previous limitations as they get to push themselves.

essal

I've shot my 416N (16") out to 632 meters on steel (skinny torso sized) with an Aimpoint Comp M4. First round missed, 2nd and 3rd were hits. Probably in the worst conditions I've ever shot in, it was raining sideways and retarded cold, fogging optics and whatnot... I did shoot supported with the help of my assault pack (E-tool, cleaning kit (for the gun, not myself) 3 spare mags and some clothing). Most of my platoon all got consistent hits at the ~500m target. Unknown Norwegian Mil ammo.
I have shot at person sized targets at 740 meters (uphill), and been combat effective. However prior to this we did "zero" so I knew my hold (estimated to 4 meters up and 1.5m to the left (spindrift)) and I was capable of getting consistent hits in a ~1x1m box at a normal firing pace (10 rounds/min). After doing it with a 8 man squad (2 M82A1s, 6 416s) all of the targets were punched a bunch of times, so I'd absolutely consider it combat effective (considering that I have very little idea about what it would do to a human at that range). This was with SS109.

As a "fun fact", when I start to go past 400m I prefer to shoot my 416 like I shoot the M82 (and MG3). Hand on the grip and off-hand on the stock, with the rail resting in a "channel" that I shape into my pack.

If Aimpoints are for close range only then I guess you need to get your eyes fixed or work on fundamentals some more...

I have used my aimpoint to go to 500 meters but always have the magnifier infront of it. Not sure my sorry eyes would let me do this without it. I'll have to give it a try.