AAR-EAG CQB Course 22-24 April 2015-Alliance PD Range/Alliance, OH

The EAG Tactical CQB Course was held at the amazing Alliance Police Range Facility in Alliance, OH. The 3-day course was run at a facility that houses phenomenal square and distance ranges, an aircraft simulator, a multi-room shoothouse with catwalk to observe from above, and a walk-in vault to secure weapons, ammo and needed gear. The facility has become more equipped over the past year or so, to include clean bathrooms, and a clean and clear environment. The hard work of Joe Weyer, Head of Firearms Training at Alliance Police Dept and the Alliance Police Special Response Team (SRT).

April 22-24

Weather
T1: 35-42 degrees; wind, rain, hail and snow(sleet/flurries)
T2: 35-40 degrees; wind
T3: 35-55 degrees; clear, sun

Hours
T1: 1200-2400
T2: 1200-2400
T3: 1200-2400

Instructors:
Pat Rogers
John Chapman
John Spears
Steve Fisher
Mike Sebastian
Bill Peterson
Joe Weyer

Equipment:

Ballistic helmet, plate carrier, AR-15/M4 with sling, at least 3-4 magazines, weapon light attached, and secondary light. Side arm is not required. Paintball-style facemask with appropriate eye/ear pro is a must. NO LIVE AMMO. Any live ammo or mags will stay in your vehicle which will be parked on the outside of the facility. You will be thoroughly checked upon entering the facility at all times. UTMs will be used, so be sure to bring a support cup, and layers of clothing, kneepads optional. Food, water, snacks, and a note pad and pen.

Operation

T1:
After a thorough inspection of your gear for any live ammo/mags, knives, swords, tactical machetes or tomahawks, and anything sharp or made of lead, we met in the classroom ready to work. After discussing the priority of life and how to accomplish the greatest amount of positives while in domestic operations, we were split into two teams, Alpha (6) and Bravo (7). I was placed in Team Bravo, overseen by Bravo Team Leader, Mike Sebastian. I had taken the EAG/LMS Low Light/No Light Course within the past year with Mike, so I knew we had a great team leader, with great focus and knowledge. While in our teams for the first time, we began working the 3 Shapes of the World while doing dry runs on the square range, then through the shoothouse. After feeling good about the way we handled L's, T's and Four Ways, we all geared up and prepared for our missions. After a day's worth of 4-5 missions, lessons were LEARNED. Getting jammed up in a "Fatal Funnel", clearing corners, and communication were some issues that were addressed and fixed on new missions. Subject control was totally new to me. Issues with who is ordering a subject to the ground and who is going to make contact were addressed, along with getting too close to a subject with a weapon system. All in all, day 1 was long and cold, but I barely noticed it with the constant adrenaline pumping though me to handle the missions and complete the objectives.

T2:
Following the standard inspection, we jumped right into subject/suspect control. Instruction was given on how to dictate who is cover and who is contact, how to not be put at a disadvantage while carrying your rifle, and how close to get to a suspect. Several other maneuvers were shown on how gain control of the subject and make good contact to ensure officer safety. We then moved right into the use of UTMs and completed another 4-5 missions. Today, with the hard work of Joe Weyer, we were able to conduct some off-range missions to continue to get the "Real Life" training that LE officers seldom receive. As for the use of UTMs goes, again remember to cover arms, legs, and use a cup to protect you. At certain points in the day, you will get hit, but DO NOT STOP FIGHTING!

T3:
Beginning with the final inspection, the teams again shot right into the missions. Completing both on and off-range missions, we ended with two missions in which both Alpha and Bravo completed them as one. What is the most positive from the final day, is being a part of two missions in which two teams that have virtually worked separately for two and a half days, come together and complete them with communication, skills, procedures, and team work. It was as if we had been training as a full team all along.

Overall, as a full-time officer at Alliance Police Department, I do not have enough words to explain how valuable the training is that my department provides me. Whether I am sent to an EAG/LMS course or it is
"in-house" training, the facility and the instructors are World Class. The CQB course is the third course that I have completed in my 4 years as an officer. Pat Rogers, Doc Spears, Chappy, Fisher, Sebastian and Peterson were as great as always. They have been coming into Alliance for years and have been an extended family. Joe Weyer has put uncountable time and effort into the facility and training regimen, and it has and will continue to pay off. It still amazes me how far some of the students come from and wind up in Alliance. It is things like this that make me proud to be where I am at. To those that read this, make it a point to get onto the EAG/LMS websites and sign up! See you at the next one!

Reactions: Rye