A tale of... 3 carbines?

rob_s

Long post ahead. Essentially I'm posting this to have a place to track my progress and thoughts as I work through this. The last project apparently was useful to a lot of people, so maybe this will be too.

Those of you that remember me from Lightfighter (pre-ban rob_s!) might recall my "tale of two carbines" post from quite a few years ago. If not, it's pretty much re-posted here.

These guns, and many of the concepts contained therein, have stood up surprisingly well since inception. A few things have changed that matter (I pretty much use X300s for white lights, exclusively, now) and several things have changed that don't (stocks, VFG length, etc.). However, since that time, my side-job as blogger and magazine writer meant that a LOT of new hotness came through my hands. What I found was that these two carbines stood up to all that new hotness without batting an eyelash. More recently, there have been improvements in a couple of tech areas (silencers, optics, and attachment methods) and changes in my own opinions (dedicated suppressed gun vs. on/off can) and interests (precision shooting, 3-gun) such that I felt an overhaul was in order.

However, a few of the concepts have stood up well for me. Primary among them is maintaining as much commonality between the guns as possible, especially where it comes to the shooter interface (grips, stocks, controls, trigger, sight picture, etc.). I was also rather happy with the color-coding since it was a zero-cost option and helped me think about the guns in my mind but also spot them in the safe more easily. Plus, black guns are boring. However, I'm not into dips, drips, and coatings because they are added cost and I don't think the difference matters enough to actually pay for it.

I decided to go with replacing the uppers and other parts rather than buy whole new carbines because I have two factory Colt SBR lowers that are big-pin, and one non-NFA big-pin lower (we're talking about FCG pins, not takedown/pivot pins, for those that don't understand). So it seemed prudent to keep the lowers, and engage in some fiddle-fart to get what I want. If I were starting from scratch I might be inclined to simply buy a couple of Daniel defense or KAC rifles in the lengths I want and call it good.

I'm still working out the accumulation of parts and the swap-over, but here's where I'm headed.

First, the use cases:

Green Gun
-"Home Defense"/SHTFantasy
-Hog Hunting (buggy)

Grey Gun
-Competition (short courses)
-New shooters (women, kids, with both irons and RDS)
-Training classes ("carbine")
-Travel (where legal)

Tan Gun
-Hog Hunting (stand/static)
-Competition (long courses & Precision)
-Training ("scoped" or "precision")
-Plinking (public range, shoot from bench, new shooters or non-shooters)

Then the configurations. Most of this is in the planning stages, and I'm working through the options. There are a LOT more choices today than there were when I did this the last time.

Green Gun
-10.3" DD Barrel (shortest I'm willing to go)
-9.0 BCM KMR (standardized across all three guns with adjustment for length)
-Silencerco Omega (allows mounting on all three guns, plus any other rifle I might buy)
-Brake mount for can (to protect blast baffle, gun will not be shot unsuppressed)
-BCM Fixed Keymod VFG (no need to remove)
-Noveske Keymod Covers (best covers I've found)
-CMC Trigger (standardized across guns, one of few that makes for big pins, pull weight by use case)
-Magpul BAD (on all guns, but for this one works well with Redimag)
-Redimag (spare mag for HD)
-Magpul CTR stock (QD socket plus ability to be locked for LOP)
-Aimpoint PRO (I find the 30mm to be more forgiving)
-Aero Precision mount (no need to remove)
-BUIS (not settled on make yet)

Grey Gun
complete upper
-11.5" BCM ELW-F (allows slightly longer handguard for more flexibility)
-10.0 BCM KMR (standardized across all three guns with adjustment for length)
-Hider mount for can (gun will rarely be shot suppressed, but why not have option)
-CMC Trigger (standardized across guns, one of few that makes for big pins, pull weight by use case)
-Magpul MOE stock (will add QD socket, no need to be locked for LOP)
-Aimpoint H1 (lighter)
-Scalarworks mount (light, QD for use with irons only)
-BUIS (not settled on make yet, need to "lock" for dedicated use)

Tan Gun
complete upper
-16" BCM stainless (for just a bit more precision potential)
-13.0 BCM KMR (in this case, I want just a little barrel protruding for ports, etc.)
-Brake mount for can (gun will rarely be shot suppressed, but brake will be useful in competition)
-BCM QD Keymod VFG (to be removed to avoid hanging up on dump barrel, when encountered)
-BCM A5 receiver extension (to further reduce recoil for competition)
-Magpul STR stock (will close on A5, provides nicer cheek weld)
-1-6 Optic (not settled on this yet, leaning Leupold)
-BUIS (not settled on make yet, but will be folding offset)

rob_s

Well, I guess I can't edit. So...

Green Gun ["Home Defense"/SHTFantasy, Hog Hunting (buggy)]
-10.3" DD Barrel (shortest I'm willing to go)
-9.0 BCM KMR (standardized across all three guns with adjustment for length)
-BCM BCG (good quality and consistency with other guns)
-BCM Gunfighter CH (mild gasbusting ability, better latch)
-Silencerco Omega (allows mounting on all three guns, plus any other rifle I might buy)
-SLR Rifleworks Adjustable Gas Block (to tune gas to run fulltime suppressed, not 100% set on this make)
-Brake mount for can (to protect blast baffle, gun will not be shot unsuppressed)
-Redimag (spare mag for HD)
-Magpul CTR stock (QD socket plus ability to be locked for LOP)
-Magpul MOE SL Grip (more vertical orientation, but includes backstrap)
-Aimpoint PRO (I find the 30mm to be more forgiving)
-BUIS (not settled on make yet leaning towards front and rear from BCM)

rob_s

I'd rather have one dedicated suppressed gun, and one dedicated non-suppressed. I'm actually not much of a fan of suppressors, but the new crop of <7", <16 oz cans in 7.62 makes it almost worth having one, because you only need one. Having a dedicated suppressed upper means I can tune it to run just with the can attached, and I can put a brake mount on it to protect the blas baffle instead of a hider mount (I've found brakes on SBRs to be teeth rattlers). The can may... will,p be shot on other guns, but the 10.3" upper will be tuned to run on,y with the can attached. Tuning the gun means less blow back to the shooter and into the system.

The 11.5" gun is probably the one that will get shot the most. It is lightweight, can be run with or without the optic attached, etc. So I'd use it myself for training classes or short-course matches, as well as for new shooters.

I could get away with having just two uppers on one lower but (a) I already have two factory Colt SBR lowers and (b) doing it this way means I can attach the Redimag to one lower and leave the other clean and swap the uppers back and forth as needed.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Have you figured out if you are going to run one type of ammo or several based on the barrel lengths?

rob_s

My intent is to have two types of ammo, but it will take a bit to figure out. Since I'm not generally shooting people, the primary target for all of these will be paper, cardboard, and steel. Since those targets tend to get shot in some volume, cost is s factor. I'm hoping I can use the 5.56 from a company like Freedom Munitions for the blasting, and buy 10k rounds to sock away. Beyond that, and perhaps counter-intuitive to those that default to people-shooting needs, I'm hopeful that I can find a TSX load that I can use for defense, hunting, and precision that also keeps a pretty close POI match to the blasting ammo when fired from the 16" gun. I'll likely stock up on 1-2k rounds of that load when I find it.

rob_s

Probably,I'm just need to finish the gun(s),meet some samples of various loads,mand see what works.