A missing concept to deadly force

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I discovered a question that seems to make people uncomfortable. These people must not be overly familiar with use of deadly force and actions leading to it. The intent of the question was to help people think about concepts that aren't discussed very often. The question is for the EDC citizen-

During a deadly force encounter, at what point do you activate your pistol mounted weaponlight?

PID isn't getting people's personal info, it's assessing if they are a valid threat.

PID optimally is done before your gun is drawn.

In low light, my handheld illuminates unknowns. If deadly force is justified, handheld stays in hand and on the threat. One handed shooting doesn't have to occur but it shouldn't be avoided. There are methods of shooting using a two handed grip and still using a handheld to illuminate the target. Being familiar with multiple ways of doing this is a good idea.

There are things we use and carry and without thinking know how they apply to our lives and when to use them - I guess weaponlights aren't one of those things even though so many feel compelled to carry them.

Stanislao

Because I live alone I'm fairly comfortable with searching my house using the weapon light. This would not be the case if anyone else was in the house.

None of this applies even on my porch, let alone around town. So... the weapon light is less useful if even present. My usual carry gun doesn't have a light, and the only time I could think of using it would be if I for some reason dropped my light while engaging someone in a poorly illuminated area. In that case it's not for PID, but maintaining view of a target.

In theory a weapon light can be used as a threat of force, almost like a bayonet. I'm not a fan of "deescalating" by displaying force, but again the rules are different in my house. Even so, I keep a good handheld either on me or next to the holster.

All that said, most of the sketchy situations I've been in have been during broad daylight, and the exceptions I've been able to flee/hide long before force was necessary.

pointblank4445

Established
PID isn't getting people's personal info, it's assessing if they are a valid threat.

PID optimally is done before your gun is drawn.

In low light, my handheld illuminates unknowns. If deadly force is justified, handheld stays in hand and on the threat. One handed shooting doesn't have to occur but it shouldn't be avoided. There are methods of shooting using a two handed grip and still using a handheld to illuminate the target. Being familiar with multiple ways of doing this is a good idea.

A handheld can fulfill many roles that many incorrectly perform with a WML, and it does not come with the burden of achieving certain circumstances to use that the WML does. Though misused and over-valued by the EDC civilian, It would be remiss of me to ignore the delightful quote I learned from P&S...."It's not the odds, it's the stakes"

Re: The light techniques with a handheld and a pistol are all well and good.

Now when we come OFF the range and introduce factors where a hand must do things OTHER than a hand-held or a weapon, the pistol-mounted light AND the constant-on switch of a long-gun mounted light starts paying dividends. Working doors, working locks/keys, using a phone, collecting/managing those in your care, etc in the event that circumstances are met for the weapon to be drawn/present.

As a run-of-the-mill EDC civilian, my mission is to stay out of trouble and a handheld light is my no. 1 most useful piece of gear for accomplishing that mission. I shine it at all kinds of things, all the time, and not one of them has ended up being something I'd want my gun pointed at. Besides, it's kind of hard to mount an X300 to a J frame.