5.56 Barrier Blind load questions

patriot_man

I've read a lot of information regarding 5.56mm barrier blind ammunition, particularly on Lightfighter, but never had the opportunity to seen the effects of such rounds firsthand. In addition I've got a few questions that I feel weren't addressed or I may have missed the answers to. I hope these questions can be answered by those who have had experience with such loads.

To what distance can you expect the barrier blind characteristics to be effective? <100 yards?

With the advent of barrier blind loads such as the Mk318 SOST are we seeing the capability gap of the carbine and the battle rifle closing?

I've always read auto glass and walls being the main concern for 5.56 barrier blind loads. How about other material such as concrete? Can you expect barrier blind loads to penetrate through these?

Thanks everyone.

KUTF

I think you may misunderstand what "barrier blind" refers to; a bullet that penetrates concrete (depending on thickness, application, etc) would probably have to be "armor piercing" or you would have to dump a bunch of rounds at the same point to bust through.

"Barrier blind" refers to a bullet that exhibits similar and/or acceptable terminal ballistics whether it is fired open air or through one of the common barrier types. This also normally refers to the FBI ammunition testing standard which uses properly mixed, stored and calibrated ordnance ballistic gelatin and penetration of >/= 12 inches and </= 18 inches. The testing includes barriers such as heavy clothing, glass, sheet metal (to simulate automobile body panels), etc.

Dod505

Thank you for the clarification.

Looks like I have more research to do.

Google DocGKR Ammo, who is an authority on OIS, and ballistics, despite being a dentist. He has written about what is and what is not effective from pistol, carbine, and shotgun, on most gun forums out there, for many years. He have written extensively on current barrier blind loads. It's been a while but from what I can remember, 62 & 64 Gr Soft Points were the ticket for vehicle sheet metal, and glass penetration, as well as the Mk318 and SOST 70Gr, brown tip, which is essentially a Barnes TSX copper round.

I have been to a few VTAC Street/Night Fighter courses, and one thing is certain when shooting vehicles with all types of pistol, carbine and shotgun rounds, to include a 12 gauge 00 on a chevy metro door at 5 yards, and not penetrating...nothing is a guarantee. Vehicles and rated P, for Plenty. As far as concrete is concerned, you need to bring more gun than a 5.56...762 and up for the desired effect.

patriot_man

Google DocGKR Ammo, who is an authority on OIS, and ballistics, despite being a dentist. He has written about what is and what is not effective from pistol, carbine, and shotgun, on most gun forums out there, for many years. He have written extensively on current barrier blind loads. It's been a while but from what I can remember, 62 & 64 Gr Soft Points were the ticket for vehicle sheet metal, and glass penetration, as well as the Mk318 and SOST 70Gr, brown tip, which is essentially a Barnes TSX copper round.

I have been to a few VTAC Street/Night Fighter courses, and one thing is certain when shooting vehicles with all types of pistol, carbine and shotgun rounds, to include a 12 gauge 00 on a chevy metro door at 5 yards, and not penetrating...nothing is a guarantee. Vehicles and rated P, for Plenty. As far as concrete is concerned, you need to bring more gun than a 5.56...762 and up for the desired effect.

I'm familiar with DocGKR's stuff and is where I get most of my info from but looks like I need to read more carefully. Plus I think he lives in the next city over from where I am!

Wow, wouldn't have expected that from the door. Thanks for the info and sharing your experience. :)