The General Purpose Rifle

22F

Staff member
Note:
This was intended for an Australian audience.
We’re still a Fudd-dominated market coming to terms with what modern sporting rifles bring in capabilities.

Enjoy.

The General Purpose Rifle

A concept I’ve been suggesting to new shooters for the last few years has been the general purpose rifle.

With the advent and widespread adoption of of the Picatinny Rail (referred to as a NATO rail over here) and good quality quick release optics mounts, a general purpose (or Jack-of-all-trades) rifle is now possible for the new shooter or those on a budget.

Good quality quick release optics mounts and the Picatinny rail allows modular selection of optics for the job at hand.

In this case, my Bergara B14R in .22LR.

I’m wanting to get into some Rimfire precision this year, and learn how to use long range optics.

To this end, I bought a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 in a Spuhr QD mount.

For close range work, a Vortex Crossfire red dot in an Aimpoint OEM mount with a B&T QD upgrade kit has been obtained.

The red dit option also allows me to use the Bergara rimfire as a trainer rifle for Olga, my Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39mm.

Same handling, stock, and sight picture for a lot less recoil, blast and cost per round makes it ideal for new shooters or plinking/training.

Full article can be found at:

Attachments

• IMG_8027.jpeg
    IMG_8027.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8029.jpeg
    IMG_8029.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2