An Abomination: Let’s desecrate a Schofield

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
0473F78F-952A-4FBB-ABB4-7819E529EEF8.jpeg

This is my new Uberti Hardin revolver.

858AC46D-52F4-404A-9F0F-4A4C8BBC2FD8.jpeg

It’s a limited-edition reproduction of a 1875 Schofield No.3 top-break S&W. It’s a six-shot 45 Colt with a 7” barrel.

6600A38D-4B36-440E-8D04-DECC06B41DE5.jpeg

The frame is color case hardened while the cylinder and barrel shine in charcoal blue. The stock grips are a dark synthetic bison horn. The action is buttery smooth, the trigger is light and crisp. It is, truly, a stunningly gorgeous firearm.

F79C66D9-60A7-4F00-AF42-03E52636BBDE.jpeg

Here’s the thing…I don’t really “do” iron sights anymore. I’ve fully embraced the present state of technology in the industry, and that state consists of red dot sights (RDS) and weapon mounted lights (WML) on handguns. I’ve been waiting for years for S&W, Ruger, Colt, or any of the other current revolver manufacturers to get their heads out of their asses (smoke enough crack?), wise up (dumb down?), and produce a truly modern top-break revolver, with the ability to mount modern components like a RDS and WML. Alas, they just won’t come to their senses and bring one to market. So…

835F78E6-7BAF-4B85-BD25-D8B037C2C6D3.jpeg

I’m forced to make one of my own, which brings us to this thread. This Schofield will soon be going off to my gunsmith to get a couple sections of picatinny rail properly affixed above the cylinder and below the barrel, in front of the ejector rod housing. Once the wheelgun has some proper rails securely attached, a X300U WML will be hung under the barrel in roughly the pictured location, while a tube-style red dot will be mounted and zeroed on the top rail.

At present I’m awaiting a grip adapter piece to attempt to improve some of the atrocious ergonomics on this thing. I’ve found a source for picatinny rail sections that can be attached, but they’re currently not in stock:

I may wind up taking the gun to my ‘smith without any specific rail sections and asking him to supply whatever he feels is best for the application.

I’m also currently considering aftermarket grips. I’m not a great fan of the stock bison horn, and I want to replace them with either some black pearl pieces or some engraved wood for a bit of texture:

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations for grips, I’m open to suggestions.

Further updates will be posted as they happen, feel free to ask any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Decided on the maple floral scroll grips. So far I’ve got the grip adapter, optic, and grips inbound. Still having trouble finding the rail pieces I need in stock. If anyone has a lead on those, it’d be much appreciated

Boy Scout

Oh this is delicious. The question is, what do you park this thing in? Kydex? Leather? A leather cowboy rig with loops on the belt but a Kydex shell? It almost confusing in a steampunk, Blade Runner kinda way...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Oh this is delicious. The question is, what do you park this thing in? Kydex? Leather? A leather cowboy rig with loops on the belt but a Kydex shell? It almost confusing in a steampunk, Blade Runner kinda way...

I’ll probably have a leather holster made for it at some point, but that’s a bit further down on the list. Shouldn’t be too difficult to accommodate the light and optic with a custom sheath

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
4EE61D69-315D-42EC-8339-D09CAAA65540.jpeg

Think I finally found a good spot in my new place that helps show off the colors of the finish with decent natural lighting and background. Just in case anyone needs a reminder of how gorgeous this gun is

Reactions: 22F

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
You better start thinking of an explanation when you have to justify this gun in court for a self-defense shooting lol :)

By no means is this intended to be at all a gun meant for serious defense use, this is just a fun side project. It’ll still be a functional firearm, but I’ll probably only take it to the range very occasionally and otherwise just display it.

Especially given the price of 45 Colt ammo these days…Fucking Leverevolution is nearly $2/round o_O

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
AF02E674-64D7-4B91-85D2-2E55AC8C4F89.jpeg

That’s much better. Wasn’t sure this would fit the Schofield, it’s made for a S&W K-frame, but it mounts right up. Fills a bit of the space behind the trigger guard and vastly improves the ergonomics

684BF6A7-0283-404F-844C-905FAB42F131.jpeg

22F

Staff member
I *love* your work mate!
After my Mistress project of modernizing a lever action rifle, I’ve been saying to a couple of the other Mods I’d like to do the same to a single action revolver just to annoy Fudd’s.

I’m looking forward to the next installment!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I *love* your work mate!
After my Mistress project of modernizing a lever action rifle, I’ve been saying to a couple of the other Mods I’d like to do the same to a single action revolver just to annoy Fudd’s.

I’m looking forward to the next installment!

The tactical lever actions do seem to be gaining in popularity, why not extend it to a revolver?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Sorry for a bit of delay on continued updates, stuff’s in transit but just hasn’t gotten to me yet. I did also order up a set of snap caps to keep in the revolver during my obsessive clicking and working of the action, to help protect the firing pin/frame/lock work from any unwanted damage.

I think I’ve also decided - eventually, after this build is done and when I can afford it - to also pick up a 1873 Colt and 1875 Remington clone to create a nice set of 1870s S&W, Colt, and Remington reproductions.

Uberti-Frank-1875-770.jpg

uberti-1873-cattleman-outlaws-lawmen-dalton-revolver.jpg

And yes they’ll also be getting the Abomination build treatment - definitely can’t just leave them alone

Smith

That last one is a beauty!

On some of the pictures the triggers seem to be extremely far back in the trigger guard - is that a revolver thing?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That last one is a beauty!

On some of the pictures the triggers seem to be extremely far back in the trigger guard - is that a revolver thing?

It’s just a function of where the trigger rests in relation to the hammer position:

7634D227-8B03-46B9-80E0-029271029FE3.jpeg
Hammer down

04245663-4AED-4B7C-904F-4AACAB984221.jpeg
Half cock

2736D0C1-C5F1-43FF-B5A4-C1BE19EDBB58.jpeg
Full cock