Your carry/Self Defense ammo issued/choice?

Eagle1

I am a law enforcement officer and my depts. firearms instructor so I have a lot of input of what my dept carries for a duty round. I am wondering what other agencies and/or people are carrying for their self defense/carry ammunition.

We recently switched to the 9mm and went with the new Speer Gold Dot 2.

karmapolice

Amateur
We currently carry Hornady TAP 135 gr +p for 9mm, this is partly due to the agency swapping ammo during the dark ammo times. We tried to get some ATK products but couldn't get support or find anyone that could deliver quickly.

Atlas

Federal HST is my personal favorite. That being said ill carry whatever. I almost want to carry gold dot's just because I can actually find it often.

ptrlcop

Established
147 Winchester RA9T. The bonded version is good too.

Speaking in generalities, my preference is heavy for caliber bullets at standard pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Issued:

64gr Gold Dot in 5.56
Federal Tactical Slug and 8 pellet Buck (threw the boxes away so not sure on specs beyond that)
Golden Saber 185gr non bonded or 165gr bonded in .40. Supposed to be swapped out with Bonded Gold Dot when the ammo shipment arrives.

9mm is for off duty/BUG guns and is mostly all Golden Saber left for issuing out. Not sure the weight as I hoarded the 147gr Ranger SXT.
.45 is 230gr HST

Tatonka

AmericanSnipers.org
We have carried Federal HST in 180 grain for our .40 cal S&W M&P pistols.
We are switching to 9mm in short order. We are getting 124 grain HST to start. Gold Dot 124 is okayed for off duty carry as well.

Kieslers has been great for large ammo purchases.

Atlas

We have carried Federal HST in 180 grain for our .40 cal S&W M&P pistols.
We are switching to 9mm in short order. We are getting 124 grain HST to start. Gold Dot 124 is okayed for off duty carry as well.

Kieslers has been great for large ammo purchases.
Yup 124 HST 9mm is my EDC

JekPokins

Amateur
We are issued Hornady Critical Duty in 9mm and 40 after we had a lot of QC issues out of Gold Dots. Having sat in on a couple of FBI tests, the Hornady would be my first choice anyway.
For patrol rifles we are issued the 55 gr TAP Barrier round.

Detmongo

Amateur
Issued:
9mm 124 gold dot +p
.38 135 gold dot+p
.223 Federal TRU 55 jhp
.12ga Federal flight control OO, standard forster style slugs

ptrlcop

Established
Let's please not start a Keith v. O'Connor debate.
I'm not sure if that was @ me. I should have mentioned that I pick a round that makes Doc Roberts list of GTG boolits and tend toward the heavy for caliber, standard pressure loads because I tend to prefer the recoil characteristics of those rounds over +p offerings.

There are enough good offerings out there that a limited amount of research should point you to something that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
Not at you specifically.

Mentioning a preference is way cool. Arguing about it... ain't.

Just wanted that on the record before it comes up.

Carry on.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
Wow, I need to quit posting while doing other things.

On a slightly expanded note, no bud, that wasn't directed at you, or anybody really. Having a discussion about 'why' a choice is made can be as enlightening as 'what' is chosen. I just don't want conversations like this derailed by worthless arguments, which is the whole Elmer v. Jack debate. Figured this was a good a time as any to get that out there.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled carry ammo topic.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
I have carried or been issued so many damn rounds over the years. It always came down to bid at the time, and at a previous agency it was whenever they got around to ordering. I remember having three different bullet weights of at least two different manufacturers in my three duty mags at one time. It sucked. Heaven help me if I had to shoot a deer, as who knew when I'd get replacements.

Times got better and I changed agencies. Making the dollar stretch still happened sometimes. I got issued Silver Bear for my patrol rifle before I could get wiser decisions to prevail.

Our issue 45 ACP is now Federal 230 HST +P, with Black Hills 55 gr SP's for rifle duty ammunition. I now carry a 9mm, and use Speer 124 gr Gold Dot +P. Next challenge is barrier blind rifle upgrades.

MojoNixon

Established
124 Gr. +P PDX 1 in my carry G19. 124 Gr standard pressure in my bug (LC9). 62 Gr. Federal Fusion in the carbine.

WayneF

124 grain HST
230 grain HST
62 grain Federal Fusion or Federal 62 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 98% of the time, Mk262 for the rest
Federal Flite Control OO and Truball slugs