Your carry/Self Defense ammo issued/choice?

I'm running Winchester Train and Defend. In my experience, they do indeed shoot to the same poa/poi. Recoil feels the same to me as well.
Doc, what is your opinion on this round?
When I started running these, 147 HST was as available as woodpecker lips. Saw a video on youtube (shooting the bull) where these were shot into properly calibrated FBI ordnance gel (according to tester) and they performed great. Would VERY much like your opinion if you have the time and inclination.

Ack495

Current Dept issue (my selections after we dropped our .40 cal glock's for 9mm and .45 glock's.)

9mm- Winchester Ranger 147gr T-series

45- Winchester Ranger 230gr T-series

AR15- Winchester RA556 5.56 64gr bonded SP.

MrMurphy

Issued 230 grain Gold Dot in our .45s. Going to 9mm shortly and they're looking at various flavors. I know HST is favored by those with the ability to have a say, not sure what we'll actually get.

124 grain Gold Dot in my offduty/backup 9mm because I can't find HST locally in any significant numbers (box here, box there, that's all). They issue 55gr softpoint in .223, my personal rifle has 62 grain TAP at the moment.

MojoNixon

Established
Mr. Murphy, check SGammo. They usually have a decent supply of both 147 and 147+P HST available in 50 round boxes for @$25/box

Rich_J

I picked Speer GD 124+p for my 9mm civilian SD pistol off Doc's list.

With my aging retiree hands, the GDs 'popped' a bit too much, so I recently switched to Federal P9HST2 147 in standard pressure.

I will be using that for my P30SK, as I've understood Doc to say in the shorter barrels, the heavier ammo tends to perform as well as in the longer barrels.

If I've misunderstood that, could someone correct me please.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
I picked Speer GD 124+p for my 9mm civilian SD pistol off Doc's list.

With my aging retiree hands, the GDs 'popped' a bit too much, so I recently switched to Federal P9HST2 147 in standard pressure.

I will be using that for my P30SK, as I've understood Doc to say in the shorter barrels, the heavier ammo tends to perform as well as in the longer barrels.

If I've misunderstood that, could someone correct me please.

Nope, that's accurate.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Standard pressure 147 gr is pretty easy on the hands and works well in short barrels...

JUDAN

Did you choose that load or was it issued. If you chose it, why?

I went with the 135 grain because it has increased penetration with reliable expansion. I also went with the non plus P round because I run a compact.

I advise all my staff and offer the same pricing i get which is mainly 23 dollars for a 50 count.

Hornady-Critical-Duty.jpg

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
I went with the 135 grain because it has increased penetration with reliable expansion. I also went with the non plus P round because I run a compact.

The non +p version tends to not expand from shorter guns in my observation.

JUDAN

The non +p version tends to not expand from shorter guns in my observation.

The slower standard pressure round expanded less, but penetrated deeper. The +P loading expanded more and penetrated less. Having both test shots at 15" or more of penetration was something I have not seen in my previous 9mm tests. I have to believe the limited expansion and heavier bullet are significant contributing factors to the observed penetration numbers.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/07/hornady-critical-duty-9mm-135-grain.html?m=1

John L. Ca

I am a law enforcement officer and my depts. firearms instructor so I have a lot of input of what my dept carries for a duty round. I am wondering what other agencies and/or people are carrying for their self defense/carry ammunition.

We recently switched to the 9mm and went with the new Speer Gold Dot 2.
We are currently carrying HST across the pistol caliber spectrum.
124gr.+P 9mm, 125gr. .357 Sig, 180gr. .40 S&W 230gr.+P .45 ACP
Hornady 55 gr GMX in 5.56X45mm in patrol rifles/carbines
12 Ga. Federal Flite Control No. 4 Buck Shot in all shotguns ( Remington 870 and Benelli Super 90's )
7.62X51 Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. OTM Precision rifle ( Remington 700 PSS )

We carry Glock 19s. My agency only specifies 9mm 147 gr JHP. We can choose whatever brand we want minus hydra shocks. I carry 147 gr Gold Dots.