XS Big Dot sights?

Freedom Forged

My eyes are getting older (61YO) and I wear progressive lens glasses. I don't pick up my sights as well as I use to. I don't see them as clearly either. What do you guys think of the XS Big Dot's? I shot them on another pistol once and seem to pick them up readily. I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions please.

Related info. This is for my CC G-19, I don't necessarily do precision target shooting, it's solely a self protection pistol that I carry daily.

Thanks in advance.
FF

MrMurphy

I carried XS Big Dots on a G30 for a decade. Approximately 2000-2013 or 2001-2013. Subtract 3 years overseas.

I put around 8 or 9,000 through the gun with them on. They're ridiculously fast at close range. Given enough practice, on demand headshots at 25 and 50 yards are doable. However, the last few years I had them, I had far less time or ammo to practice, and hits at distance began to be an issue. Past about 20 yards I couldn't reliably group, I'd vertically string. The rear "V" gives little to work with for distance shots. At the ranges it's intended (around 15m and in) not a big deal, but around then the Aurora shooting occurred, I began measuring Walmart aisles, etc.......and long range became relevant again.

I replaced my Big Dots with a 10-8 single dot front and a black rear. Very nearly as fast, even with 10 years plus on the Big Dot, and sight alignment at a distance is no longer an issue.

Several older officers I work with, who have 20-30 years on and a couple who are competitive shooters have embraced fiberoptic sights (usually Dawson) and mini red dots. One can shoot a RMR equipped G19 better than he can a 4" .38 that he's been shooting for 35 years. Because now seeing front and rear sight at the same time is irrelevant.

I haven't shot a dot equipped pistol enough to say, but I would look into it.

I currently carry Trjicon 3-dots on my issued G21, 10-8s on my G30 and the stock irons on my Shield (backup/offduty) until I can get some 10-8s.

Freedom Forged

I carried XS Big Dots on a G30 for a decade. Approximately 2000-2013 or 2001-2013. Subtract 3 years overseas.

I put around 8 or 9,000 through the gun with them on. They're ridiculously fast at close range. Given enough practice, on demand headshots at 25 and 50 yards are doable. However, the last few years I had them, I had far less time or ammo to practice, and hits at distance began to be an issue. Past about 20 yards I couldn't reliably group, I'd vertically string. The rear "V" gives little to work with for distance shots. At the ranges it's intended (around 15m and in) not a big deal, but around then the Aurora shooting occurred, I began measuring Walmart aisles, etc.......and long range became relevant again.

I replaced my Big Dots with a 10-8 single dot front and a black rear. Very nearly as fast, even with 10 years plus on the Big Dot, and sight alignment at a distance is no longer an issue.

Several older officers I work with, who have 20-30 years on and a couple who are competitive shooters have embraced fiberoptic sights (usually Dawson) and mini red dots. One can shoot a RMR equipped G19 better than he can a 4" .38 that he's been shooting for 35 years. Because now seeing front and rear sight at the same time is irrelevant.

I haven't shot a dot equipped pistol enough to say, but I would look into it.

I currently carry Trjicon 3-dots on my issued G21, 10-8s on my G30 and the stock irons on my Shield (backup/offduty) until I can get some 10-8s.

After looking at some of the options you mentioned I absolutely think the RMR would fix my issue. My only issue with them right now is $$$. I'm SURE they are worth it but it's hard for me to that much money out for that right now..........
FF

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
I'm the odd duck in that I don't mind XS Sights, prefer them in some situations, but they aren't for everyone. Shoot them some more, and try them out to 25, 50, and 100, see how they do.

That said, with my crappy vision, I'm moving to Dawson Adjustables when I get a couple extra pennies.

PM07

Staff member
My experience mirrors Murphy as far as fast up close, but started losing accuracy at distance. Take a look at Ameriglo's Hackathorn sight set. Similar to the big dot but you are still able to shoot accurately when needed .

SCSU74

My first LE job was in Fort Worth so it gave me the opporutnity to actually stop in and chat with the XS guys, excellent crew and very pro MIL/LE. I went all in with their sights (Shotgun, AR, duty guns etc.) after using only their sights I found they are excellent for certain applications, but are lacking in others.

I really like their big dot on my BUG, a S&W 637 and my work shotgun, an 870. They actually milled off the factory sight on my 637 and installed a custom big dot. At the distances I used the revolver their sight was top notch. I typically only shot my revolver under 15 yds though. On the shotgun we used 00 only, no slugs. If I was using slugs in addition to the 00 I would have wanted a ghost ring or similar setup. The XS on my shotgun allowed very easy/fast tracking of targets with very little negatives.

As far as my duty guns went, they were excellent for what they were advertised for, "Up close combat/point shooting." I did have issues in our qual when we shot past 15 yds. Yes you can get hits on target, but they are more minute of man. I really noticed an improvement using the sights in force on force and moving while shooting.

In the end I got rid of the BD's on my duty guns in favor of trij HD's. The HD's allowed me to keep all the advantages BD's offered while still allowing me to shoot accurately at distance. the orange front of the HD sights tracks just as fast for me and I don't notice a difference in time picking up the front sight when drawing. The thing with CC is the unknown distance, up close XS are awesome, but I would hesitate to take a 20 yd shot with limited target area YMMV. They are cheap though ($60 for mil/le), so might be worth trying out for yourself or you could go RDS :)

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
XS sights are *capable* of good accuracy past 20-25, the issue being that it takes longer to get a good sight picture, and requires much more practice than traditional post and notch sights. If UKD and longer shots are a concern, then another option would be a better decision.

One of my handguns has had a set of XS big dot sights on it since I go it. It has 20,426rds through it. The gun has been retired and unused for at least the last 5-6 years. I have only held onto it because it is in bad shape, broken multiple times, and I would not feel good about selling it to anyone. I made some bad decisions in where I attended firearms training when I first got started. One of the places that I took several courses was a place that highly recommended the XS sights and as far as I know they still use them on most of the instructor guns and loaner guns. I followed the organization prior to training with them and felt their argument for the sights just made sense.

The above listed gun went through multiple training courses, a lot of practice sessions and even some local IDPA matches. I did get lucky one time and make a head shot at 25yds with them. Are they good up close? Yes. Are they good at shooting moving targets? Yes. Are they good to use when shooting on the move? Yes. However, attaining a high level of accuracy is not nearly as easy as standard notch and post sights. You know how it is, some guns are just easy to shoot well. To me XS sights at distance are hard to shoot well. Can it be done? Yes, and I have done it lots. However, all in all they were not was best for me. The benefits of the sighs to me at close distances eventually became null and void. Due to the amounts of repetitions with presentations, I could get hits (better hits), and faster with notch and post sights. To me at the distances that XS sights are supposed to help the most, they really didn’t do me any benefit.

However, I will admit that I think they are a better option for people that do not shoot a lot. In my opinion more switched on shooters will not see as much benefit from them as people who practice little or none at all.

The only true benefit that I got out of them was while shooting on the move and shooting movers. To me that was the only tasks that the sights performed better than standard sights.

Since that time I have used various sight configurations. Secretly I had been dying for a set of sights that would give me all the benefits of notch and post sights (high level of accuracy at distance), but also give me the benefit of being more usable and intuitive while shooting on the move and shooting movers. I thought that was a wish that would never be fulfilled. However, when the Ameriglo Hackathon sights came out a couple years ago, that is exactly what I got when I started using them.

Hackathorn sights have a wide rear notch (no tritium), a front post that is not too wide but more importantly there is a tritium vial in the front with a large, orange, luminescent ring around the vial. I prefer sights that have a single tritium vial in the front and a plain black rear. They also sit low on the slide which is something that I prefer. The orange ring draws in light in daylight, and ambient light in normal indoor lighting conditions. The combo of the notch width, post width, and orange ring make them very quick to pick up. The Hackathorn sights give me the ability to attain the level of accuracy that I require at distance, and the speed and efficiency at shooting on the move and shooting movers.

I have conducted various tests with these sights while shooting on the move. 15yds and in, I can place the orange ring on the desired target area of the threat, squeeze the trigger straight and to the rear and attain fast, accurate hits on target. I can literally disregard the rear sight all together in this context. Same thing for movers, keep that orange ring on where you want the rounds to go and squeeze the trigger properly.

To me they are literally the best of both worlds. All of my Glocks have Hackathron sights on them and I do not plan to change. From the context of a defensive handgun they give me everything that I need and are easy to use. These sights which were designed by Ken Hackathorn is one of the many ways that Ken has helped me get to where I am today.