Wrist Locks

Chris DCNC

How many of guys are currently incorporating wrist locks into your subject control/defensive tactics training? In BJJ they are a hidden card I keep up my sleeve that works like a charm and I've made use of them with good results in uses of force at work

Mick1331

For long time I kind of threw the wrist lock away. But like you, I have started using them more in BJJ. I like them on the ground, it much easier to apply the leverage and take away any movement. I'm still not a huge fan standing, but will use them on occasion.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
It was taught in our older DT/ACT curriculum which was based on the Controlled F.O.R.C.E. program. We went away from that for a few reasons one was that NV POST supposedly removed it from accreditation or some such thing.

Currently it's included in the in house developed program. I've tried them with some variance of success.

Bushido5150

Wrist locks are great. Especially in super tight conditions. They can reduce some of your toughest opponents to a whimpering mess.

Rick4673

Amateur
Wrist locks can be great for people who aren't actively fighting, but still aren't doing what you need them to do, particularly if you need to move them more than cuff them. Helps if they are busy focusing on your partner. I like them on the ground too. You sometimes get fun reactions from your BJJ buddies over them, especially the serious young guys, who'll say something like "that's a cheesy technique." Well, don't tap then!

Arete

Joint locks, like OC spray, work really well on LE students who have an incentive to comply to pass the training module.

They don't work so well on people who are assaultive, drunk, high, adrenalized, mentally ill, or a combination thereof, and who will feel no pain and will not just stand there and let you put it on them.

Real people wriggle, wiggle, pull away, spin, flail, flex in unanticipated ways, are sweaty, wet, bloody, head butt, kick, spit, bite, pull out weapons, and do many other things that make joint locks less than effective on the street.

Sometimes they can work enough to get the job done, though.

Those are my observations based on a combined 24 yrs in LE . . . YMMV

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Established
Vendor
VIP
In my personal experience of 3 Decades plus as a Police Officer, and over 4 decades training in the Martial Arts, I have had the opportunity to learn, teach, and use wrist locks. I am a fan of wrist locks for handcuffing on compliant and semi-compliant individuals. I am an even bigger fan of wrist locks for when removing handcuffs, as it allows me to maintain control of the individual if they decide to get froggy, especially when taking off the last cuff, as by maintaining control of the wrist gives me options of what to do or where to go if they wish to attack. Are wrist locks the answer to everything, NO, but they do work well and also sends a message to the person to let them know that you have control of them (which can be a great psychological advantage).

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

952melvin

I went to a course recently that taught all two finger locks, they seem to work even better than wrist locks, seem more secure and easier to get and maintain.