Why is good gear a necessity for professional users

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Mike Griffin
6 hrs · Madison, WI

Why is good gear a necessity for professional users: Routinely I see questions about whether XYZ item is suitable for duty/deployment use and if it is NOT a top performer many will say something to the effect of "well, it may not do XYZ reliably but I like some other characteristic so much, and I can reduce the malfunction pretty easily". There is a problem with that mindset.

Users at all levels of performance perform actions and decisions at various levels on the spectrum from unconscious incompetence, conscious incompetence, conscious competence, to unconscious competence. All those actions and decisions either increase or reduce 'friction' when interacting with your environment. All of this conscious/unconscious action and decision making as well as friction adds up to some portion of your brain's bandwidth or cognitive ability. How much you can process at one time. Gear that slips, rubs, abrades, chafes, doesn't hold zero, flickers, loosens, doesn't feed well, freezes up, etc or has a history of doing this which causes doubt in the back of your mind ties up bandwidth that is otherwise necessary for performing actions and making decisions.

This isn't directed at any post or person in particular I just wanted to mention it. I had the opportunity to listen to a lecture by a former PJ the other day who was talking about cognitive overload in regards to education and conveying material (not in stress testing capability) and it got me thinking about something I have long thought of but had a hard time verbalizing.

Just something to consider as you select and recommend gear.

Unlike · Comment
  • You, Matt Levi, Chris Taylor, Chad Halvorson and 7 others like this.

• Michael Hueser
    I want kit that I don't have to worry about.

If I'm climbing, blowing bubbles, bounding out of a plane, or cooking rare Unicorn testicles, I don't want to worry about the gear being used.

It should perform to expectations so that I can focus on "other" things.

If I'm worried about the anti-balling plates on my crampons popping off & needing attention, then I'm not focusing on rest steps, axe placement & rope work.

I'll find economies & shortcuts in non-critical items in order to buy the best critical items that exist.

Additionally, I take care to inspect, clean, sharpen, oil, and repair them so that they continue to work that way.

Buying a shitty compass from a yard sale and counting on it will create that level of doubt & a constantly-niggling cognitive itch...

Some kit has to be "that good"...
    6 hrs · Unlike · 8

• Roland Deschaintull
    This shit KILLS me in military procurement. SOF will test and adopt something and the service component will be like "that's cool, but we don't have a requirement for that widget".

Oh excuse the fuck out of me that we shoot stupid amounts of ammo that your booger eating, police calling, formation holding, PT belt wearing, General Purpose Force will never have the original thought to need this widget!

Just like the peq2(Followed by the LA5/PEQ15), just like rail hand guards, just like the M4, just like aimpoints, just like BUIS, just like flashlights, just like the ACOG....

The service components have not had an original fucking thought in over 2 decades, yet every time SOF tries to hand them a great idea the fucking push back.

How many times do we have to lead that horse to water before it finally takes a fucking drink???
    6 hrs · Like · 11

• John D Remf
    sometimes, it's really fuckin' nice to be a civilian and be your own procurement department.
    6 hrs · Like · 7

• Mike Hunts
    Roland spot on
    5 hrs · Like · 1

• John Beavers
    That's a interesting thought Mike, as a civilian who takes his and his family's personal saftey very seriously. I find myself constantly questioning myself. I want good gear, but how good does that gear need to be. I'm smart enough to listen to what the guys on here have to say about gear, especially Pat, Chuck, Roland, Steve ect. , Lotta guys with known backgrounds and reputation's who's opinions are definitely worth the time to consider. But do I really need a BCM or is the Smith and Wesson M&P-15 good enough, or do I need a Aimpoint micro, or is that Eotech good enough since I'm not going to the sandbox or on a swat raid(aimpoint pro makes that a moot point really). Do I need a RMR on my Glock or should I spend the money on more training and ammo, I chose the latter. Is the TLR good enough for home defense or do I have to have the Surefire. But you guys kinda set the standard for what is "good" equipment, and best practices. But it's difficult sometimes to separate good enough for my needs from wanting the best cool guy kit. Where that line is gets a little blurry and difficult to see sometimes, and distracts from other equally important aspects. Just a thought, and I probably didn't put that in words real well but I'm sure you get the point.
    4 hrs · Edited · Like · 3

• Mike Hunts
    Honestly John, what you have in an event is what you have, if you look at places that have had serious government collapses, the people who live are the one that got out of town. Most of the time they had nothing but a pot for water.
    5 hrs · Like · 1

• Mike Hunts
    I am not saying the preparation is not important, however your money is better spent on education, not high speed gear. After you get some training you will see what works and what doesn't
    5 hrs · Like · 1

• John Beavers
    That's true mike my brother works for a large sherrifs department just north of New Orleans, he rode Katrina out and then worked the aftermath, he has told me some real horror stories about that, and I saw a little of it for myself when I took some supplies to him and some of the guys he works with and thier families not long afterwards.
    5 hrs · Like · 1

• Michael Hueser
    If you buy inferior kit, and it hiccups enough, you'll jack up the cognitive/heuristic side of the equation.

I've seen enough people in training who lose good, focused repetitions due to the fact they were running bad gear/ammo.

Instead of establishing a functional rhythm with their learning curve (due to that cognitive itch), they would get a handful of repetitions in before having to trouble shoot one of those hiccups.

That is like 2 steps forward and then... "Cookie...".....

Sometimes KISS helps reduce those issues... If... If the Simple is well-built...

Accumulating "training scars" due to a higher failure rate than is necessary, isn't conducive to grounding oneself in solid, proper fundamentals.

This idea is highly important for the novice (and intermediate), end user.

As one starts to understand how their learning curve is utilized, and plateaus, then one will also start to gain more insight as to why best practices, established training, AND superior kit is their friend....

Good enough isn't.....
    4 hrs · Unlike · 7

• Matt Landfair
    This will be copied to the forum. Good stuff!
    4 hrs · Like · 1

• Michael Hueser
    I'm retired...
    4 hrs · Like

• Michael Hueser
    "It requires wisdom to understand wisdom; the music is nothing if the audience is deaf."

Walter Lippmann
    4 hrs · Like

• John Beavers
    Mike being prepared is definitely one of my considerations, but secondary to daily personal and home security for my self and family.
    3 hrs · Like · 1

• Matt Landfair
    cant they be within the same consideration?
    3 hrs · Like · 1

• Michael Hueser
    That learning curve & philosophy applies to all skills & gear....
    3 hrs · Like · 3

• Mike Hunts
    I was reading something else when I wrote that, the same stands.
    The best gun to take to a fight is the one you have on you, professional guns are expensive if you can afford it but them if not get the best you can afford, however at the same time keep in mind buy quality buy once. A $600 smith ar will fit the home defense need as much as a 2400 Set up if that is what you can get.
    You can also lose a gun but you will always have your mind.
    3 hrs · Like · 1

• Mike Griffin
    My take is that if you are buying gear that could fall under 'life safety equipment' you need to buy something that meets a minimum performance standard. The combo of gun, mag, ammo, etc must be able to accurately put rounds on target with minimal to no malfunctions for a reasonable lifespan.

An entry level professional carbine, aimpoint pro, whitelight with mounting hardware, pmag, and take your pick of validated ammo will accomplish this for most and not be $2400. Will it be the most accurate gun on the line? Will you have to accept that the handguard is not freefloated and shooting supported may impair accuracy? Yes. will it fire at a similar percentage to the $2400 gun? Yes.

I have a hard time even recommending the non-free floated guns because I know the level of accuracy degradation when resting the barrel on a barricade or in a sling support position BUT it is what it is and not everyone can throw down that kind of money.

Same with a pistol. No one says you have to pay to stipple the grip, swap all the guts out, get an RMR, match barrel and comp, etc. BUT choosing a reputable gun, spending enough in ammo to validate your sample, putting a good quality iron site on, white light, holster, etc. While it may seem like a bunch of money each of those is a capability checkbox and still significantly cheaper than a full custom gun. A $500 glock, $120 in Dawson adjustables, $80 for a holster, $225 for X300U, $150 in practice ammo, $50 in defensive ammo, and time on the couch dry firing is a 95% solution that checks all the capability boxes for about half to a third of a full custom gun. Sure it is more expensive than a ruger P85 and a box of defensive ammo and an uncle mike's holster but the gun will run and you will be able to shoot accurately AND properly ID targets, not have to worry about your gun discharging in the holster, etc.

There is a spectrum to everything, somethings just don't even make it on the spectrum. I am very much not trying to justify some kind of elitist gear mentality I just want people to consider the realities of gear for the professional level user.
    3 hrs · Like · 4

• Mike Griffin
    Also, I agree that knowledge is huge. Just keep in mind that cutting corners on gear to support that knowledge (if it is necessary, i.e. a pistol class) can impact your take away. I routinely see guys show up to class with either econo-guns or super expensive soup sandwiches that wont run. It is really hard to take anything away from the class when you can't complete a drill because the gun, ammo, or mags are not functioning. OR coming unprepared for the weather.

It isn't just about the guns, show up to a class or work with shitty socks and jack up your feet you probably won't notice that you are sucking at drills.
    3 hrs · Like · 3

• Barry Peterson
    Mike Griffin I agree that there should be some minimum standard for "life safety equipment," but I also recognize the limitations of what I'll be asking the gear to do. I have no problem admitting that I'm a helpless gear queer, but that doesn't mean I'm throwing every cent I have at top of the line stuff. AsJohn Beavers referenced, by M&P15 is probably good enough for whatever I might encounter in civilian, non-LE/MIL life, but I dont skimp on ammo or training. I can probably get by with the clearance sale Shellback plate carrier I picked up, but I didn't skimp on the plates. My XD puts holes in anything I shoot it at, but it's not a high-speed-low-drag combat pistol. I don't trust the cheapest gear with my life, but I'm also working diligently to find the boundary where inexpensive, reasonable and effective intersect. That's the risk analyst in me coming out.
    2 hrs · Edited · Unlike · 3

Grayman

Established
I learned the hard way over the years... I don't like cliche statements but I think this one fits:

Buy once cry once... I have boxes full of gear to prove how hard learned this lesson was for me.

I don't, however, believe that any piece of gear can effectively replace quality training. I don't think the average civvie should forego training in favor of gear. You don't need $2,000 worth of plate carrier before you attend a basic carbine course. You can probably get by with $50 worth of belt mounted mag pouches. What you will need is a weapon system that allows you to perform within the scope of the course you are taking (IE. that basic carbine course probably won't require the use of a PEQ and NVG capability). Your rifle will need to be reliable and accurate and should have the ancillary equipment you deem necessary to perform at a basic level. If you show up to that same basic carbine class with a hi-point carbine, 2 mags and nothing but pockets to put them in you aren't going to be able to keep up and you aren't going to walk away having learned all you could. By the same token if you show up with all $20k worth of your Seal team 6 gear you might look cool but by mid afternoon there's a good chance you'll be thinking more about how sweaty you're plate carrier is making you and how heavy that can and PEQ are making your rifle than you will be about the fundamentals the instructor is trying to hammer home.

Your gear is important no one can deny that point but your ability to bring the right gear and most importantly the right mindset will dictate the outcome of any training or mission.

To address the OP and provide another obligatory cliche: mission drives the gear train.

kyler801

Coming from someone who is . . . By no means a weapons expert or shoots/trains as much as i think i should due to budget restrictions what i can contribute is that skimping on gear isnt worth it at all. I decided to build my first AR (and only AR). A few parts i thought i would want/need actually made the weapon malfunction (extra power recoil spring and an Hbuffer resolved with standard buffer+spring) and the extra time i invested into solving this issue and possible training time wasted due to trying to be cheap i regret to one point and another point what ive learned about the AR platform has helped me solve issues when doing weapons ranges with my unit and made me love my weapon more. When i buy gear (lights,holsters,etc.) I am looking to use my dollar the best while not risking function/fit first and after that comfort and then look of course also testing and really running your gear. Ive learned my lesson from not properly testing out CCW gear as well as with lights. 1. Does this fill a missing spot in my gear? 2. See if specs (weight, fit, function, price) is what im looking for and need out of this. 3.Is there another product that does this better for comparable price? This has saved me some money. One thing i know i need to invest more time into is training and instruction as well.

ptrlcop

Established
Buying the best out of the gate has consistently proved itself to be cheaper than buying something "almost as good". The cheaper solution either ends up needing replacement or I break down and upgrade to the real deal eventually.

Perfect example, last year I bought a $100 rifle case that is falling apart and has a hole in it. I just replaced it with the $200 case I really wanted in the first place. So now my $200 case really cost me $300 because I had to go through the cheap one first.