Why a basic Colt is more than adequate for anyone's first rifle

ABNAK

Should it be reliable with every type of ammo?

No, and I'll give you my opinion as to why. That is where many of the complaints of over-gassing come from, i.e. manufacturers trying to make their product reliable with the full spectrum of .223/5.56mm ammunition. If one is going to have a quality weapon to rely on, then it would behoove that person to also have quality ammo to feed it. I have never shot Tula/Wolf/Barnaul etc. from any of my AR's. An AK? Sure, that's what those things are made to eat. But my AR's are fed primarily 5.56mm NATO loads (with the notable exception of .223 Speer Gold Dots and some Fusion). The barrels I have are all either BCM, Knight's, or Colt, so they are spec'd to run with the full-power stuff. Hell, even my "plinking"/practice ammo is IMI M193.

I realize some people cannot afford the best ammunition for their usual range trips, but this forum especially is not a hobby shop. While my back-story pales in comparison to most of these guys, I do try to keep that "professional" mindset when it comes to personal weapons and their accoutrements, up to and including ammunition.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Hmmm, well I am actually one of those hypothetical "babies first AR" guys this post is aimed at and personally I am looking at a Colt AR6720, the 16 inch pencil barrel variant.

I have been an AK guy for the past 5 years so having a simple rifle doesnt bother me as I have shown up to 3 gun matches with a bone stock polish underfolder AK.

Is there any issues with the AR6720 rifles that would make them less reilable or have issues compared to the LE6920 besides having groups open up sooner because of the thinner barrel profile?

Basically I want a rifle that will just work thats lightweight and Im going to try to run slick besides irons or a 1-4x scope and just stack Wolf gold or some other bulk m193 55 grain ammo deep and just use it for everything. Also given Im coming from AK-land if you were to get an AR what is a cheap preferably mil surplus two point sling that will hold my gun and not have a bunch of bs hanging off it to catch on stuff and won't break on me.

tylerw02

The BFG VCAS and VTAC slings are what you're looking for, though not surplus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Cornwallis

Hmmm, well I am actually one of those hypothetical "babies first AR" guys this post is aimed at and personally I am looking at a Colt AR6720, the 16 inch pencil barrel variant.

I have been an AK guy for the past 5 years so having a simple rifle doesnt bother me as I have shown up to 3 gun matches with a bone stock polish underfolder AK.

Is there any issues with the AR6720 rifles that would make them less reilable or have issues compared to the LE6920 besides having groups open up sooner because of the thinner barrel profile?

Basically I want a rifle that will just work thats lightweight and Im going to try to run slick besides irons or a 1-4x scope and just stack Wolf gold or some other bulk m193 55 grain ammo deep and just use it for everything. Also given Im coming from AK-land if you were to get an AR what is a cheap preferably mil surplus two point sling that will hold my gun and not have a bunch of bs hanging off it to catch on stuff and won't break on me.

You have found the right rifle. Buy that 6720.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk