Why a basic Colt is more than adequate for anyone's first rifle

I am Eurodriver. This is my first post on P&S and I am excited to be here. I will briefly lead with my experiences to lend some validity toward the claim in the subject line.

I had recently consolidated my AR15s after realizing that I shoot more than I collect and I had things in the safe I hadn't touched in ages. I now only have a suppressed 11.5" with an ATPIAL-C, T1, Surefire, etc, a 10.5" LMT with an ACOG, and a 20" Krieger with a Nightforce, Geissele SSA-E, etc. They are all great guns to hunt with, bring with me for a vehicle gun, train with by myself, with buddies or at an event, and get many likes on Instagram for their high dollar value and cool factor.

I assumed I was done purchasing ARs but bought a 6920 OEM when I saw they were available for $690 from G&R Tactical (The sale is still going on as of 5/13 for anyone interested) I remember 2007 when Colts were $1,300. I remember 2013 when they were $2,500. I can't pass one up for $690. I had a set of MOE handguards, CTR buttstock, BCM Grip, and an IWC Scout Mount laying around. I purchased a DD fixed rear from AIM and Surefire M600U w/ momentary tail cap from Arisaka Defense. All in - under $1,000 with FFL fees and such.

This rifle has quickly became my favorite gun to shoot with. I zeroed the rifle with 64gr Gold Dot ammunition at 100 yards and was impressed that I achieved a ~1" 5 round group after only 4 rounds of adjustment from mechanical zero. I need to point out here that I have exhaustive experience and training with iron sights thanks to a previous career in an organization that prides itself in marksmanship, and can not achieve these results with a (much faster) red dot. This accuracy level blew me away, but it is not as good as much quicker hits made with a red dot.

hjpZEQC.jpg

I keep it in a discreet bag disassembled for trips

5NuxS6s.jpg

yREO5Og.jpg

tsyW1NBg.jpg

6mkSbhY.jpg

This is when the fun started. I took it out into the woods for some shooting because I wanted to see just how much slower it was than a red dot. It ended up being a bit slower, but nothing significant. I don't remember exact times, but it was not something that you would shake your head at. What was significant was what I ended up deliberately putting this rifle through and seeing it shake off damn near everything. It left me wondering had I thrown a quality red dot on this rifle - just what wouldn't it do?

Listen, we all buy good kit that we think can take some abuse but I'm not gonna be the one to run over my suppressed rifle wearing an ATPIAL with a truck. That's risking too much for my wallet.

A $690 Colt though? Idgaf. So while I was out blasting one day I made this video. Keep in mind nothing of what follows is a "torture test" or anything like that - I just wanted to see how reliable the rifle was, how long it could retain zero and its inherent accuracy.

9TM5FoK.jpg

The only issue I had was with the IWC mount bending from being thrown like a windmill, and when I ran the rifle over with a truck. I simply bent it back, but I might end up replacing it for peace of mind. I was told Earl @ IWC will replace it under warranty but feel it would be unfair given my outright abuse of the product. I can't really fault the light mount because the light is cantilevered so far away from the gun and I was able to fix it in 5 seconds.

Mad props to Magpul for making handguards and magazines that put up with so much abuse.

BvXTAs0.jpg

gAWNuBq.jpg

h0R1vDj.jpg

41ZMPA5.jpg

OarEKwp.jpg

What the rifle looks after all of the above - after a nice shower with a toothbrush and head and shoulders. Bet one could sell this as "Like new" on Gunbroker - it cleaned up amazingly well. This gun reminds me of the Toyota Hilux on Top Gear - What do you have to do to kill one?

n5x49fb.jpg

I am taking this rifle out today to shoot some 300 yard groups. I am very anxious to see what the results are. I might be getting ahead of myself with the below, but I am confident there won't be significant issues enough to say it:

Only after soaking the rifle in water, running it over with a truck and coating it with a healthy mud/sand combination did it fail to go into battery. Getting it to the point of malfunction was not the objective of what I was doing though. Throw mud in damn near any rifle and it is going to struggle. Simply apply a liberal amount of lube and the gun gets back up.

What I was blown away about was that it never lost zero, nothing broke, nothing is permanently damaged. Accuracy remains acceptable (haven't shot it beyond 75ish yards during any of the above).

So, what does a $3,000 Wondergun bring to the table that a $1,000 Colt and $1,000 of 5.56mm does not? Especially if a durable, tested red dot were added to the Colt. I'd like to see someone run over a Magnesium BCM KMR with a 5,000 4Runner right where the light mount is located, but even if it survives unscathed - what was gained for the extra coin? Everyone wants to talk about the accuracy a free float rail brings to the table but I shoot at the range every week - not many guys shooting SBRs out to 300m+.

I'll end this with a rant - It's unfortunate that the internet/instagram has seemingly created a culture where we have to have what is cool without knowing why it's cool or how to use it. A guy with 3,000 rounds of ammo down the barrel of his 6920 is going to be way more efficient than a guy with zero rounds down the barrel of his Wondergun. I fully agree that upgrades in the AR platform bring advantages with them, but I wonder if the gun community as a whole has simply lost interest in the practical application of shooting and simply enjoys looking at pictures of shit now.

Firefly

New guy here too. Breaking my lurk to say Euro is legit and is undertaking an interesting little project akin to the Top Gear Hilux 'test'. The appeal of the M4 is not in its uniqueness or gimmickry but rather in its familiarity and construction. There's no place for "just as good as". It is or it isn't.

I've given Euro some suggestions/ideas/double dog dares. I sure the rack grade Colt will not only survive, but prevail with minor; if any TLC.

It's a carbine. It needs to be treated as such. I agree with his assessment that the Safe Queen crew spends arguably more money and gets more attention, but I proffer legit shooters wont care about tool marks, nicks, or scratches provided the rifle is made to spec with quality parts and competent assembly.

Salty kit is best kit IMO. Some may think this thread is preaching to the choir, but gospel is gospel.

N

nate89

Looks very similar to my BCM. About 6-7 years ago, I took the Dunning-Kruger dive (figuring out what I really didn't know), and ended up with a 16" middy BCM upper. Eventually I replaced the home-built lower I has been using with a blem BCM complete lower, and I have been shooting it ever since. Classes, matches, practice, it has done everything I have asked; it just runs. Right now it has the DD fixed rear, VTAC light mount with a P3X, BFG sling, and some ambi controls for my left-handedness (BAD-ASS, troy ambi mag release, and BCM ambi CH). As much as I like a fancy bling rifle with all the trimmings, when you are actually shooting, it takes a very good shooter (much better than me) to be held back by a quality basic gun.

Koshinn

While basic colts are nice, I still think a midlength gas system has advantages, as does a more optimized barrel profile without a 203 cut that'd come with mentioned midlength gas system.

While basic colts are nice, I still think a midlength gas system has advantages, as does a more optimized barrel profile without a 203 cut that'd come with mentioned midlength gas system.
For sure man. No disagreement here at all. Lets face it though - for the "just as good as" crowd, money is the most important factor in deciding what to buy. How much is a basic, quality midlength? Even a complete BCM lower and upper bought separately is gonna run 25% more than a complete 6920 and like 50% more than an OEM1.

Personally, I would absolutely get the BCM Middy if I weren't buying a gun to run over with a truck but my point in creating the thread was merely to show that a stock carbine can still get the job done for damn near every situation because that seems to be lost on damn near everyone.

As much as I like a fancy bling rifle with all the trimmings, when you are actually shooting, it takes a very good shooter (much better than me) to be held back by a quality basic gun.

Exactly.

MrMurphy

I made that point to a coworker recently. Been in the gun carrying biz for a quarter century but always with issued weapons. I told him for his requirements a Magpul 6920 with a PRO and light, effectively cloned our issued rifles, was perfectly fine for most things. Yeah, my rifle is nicer and FF, but for his training level and being 3 years from retirement....nothing wrong with the 6920.

@MrMurphy

My non-professional opinion is as follows:

A weapon needs to:

1) Reliably sling bullets
2) Accurately sling bullets in conjunction with iron or electro-optical sighting devices
3) Have an illumination aid
4) Have a sling

Anything outside that comes down to preference items, or mission-specific reqs. I personally know, and I use this term loosely, shooters, that will kit their shit up, and immediately upgrade impractical accoutrements like grips and furniture, but dick around when it comes to adding lights or optics.

There's absolutely a time and place for 15" modular FF rails, LAZER BEAMZ!, 45-degree irons, IR-capable lights, VFGs, FAGs, Handstops, and all the billy badass JSOC ninja shit.

There's also this habitual mentality for a lot of dudes to gloss over the whole concept of building a foundation for the realistic anticipation of threats, and configuring the tools at hand for the MLCOA regarding their own personal situation.

Not to get too far out of bounds here, but you're absolutely on the right track. If I were constrained by an issued weapon, my POWs would be as close to and/or identical to what I had to carry for a living.

I can't comment on the LE side, but defensive-minded .civ shooters have this incredible desire to immediately flush themselves down the gear toilet without a realistic or systematic approach to what fits within the scope of their own personal METT-TC.

Koshinn

But those 4 requirements aren't binary.

How reliably? Nothing is 100% reliable. Should it be reliable with every type of ammo? Suppressed and unsuppressed? Underwater? At -40 degrees? Without oil?
How precise? Nothing is 0 MOA to 1000m.
How many lumens? What battery life? What dispersal pattern? How durable and reliable is the light and mount?
What kind of sling? 1pt, 2pt, 3pt, QD, quick adjust, where are the mounting points, etc?

Firefly

Per the LE side, guys (not always rookies, but rookies most infamously) get sucked down the gadget hole too.

Otherwise Outlanders 4 concepts have merit. Most LE ranges (excluding rural areas) are going to be within 100yds/meters with rifle.

For a general PR, just a good Aimpoint, surefire, and good sling like a Giles will do it all or at least 80%+ of what one would ever need. As well as a good mounting system. I like slings you can convert from 2 point to 1 point.

But the point is it is easier for an Administrator to get some good rack grade Colts and have servicable gear.

55gr Ballistic Silvertip seems to be the de facto load.

Something with a lot of unnecessary crap will be more burden than boon.

I think the technology is there for 14.5 ML gas especially since Colt is on board. I almost expect it to be the new standard in 10-15 years.

But per Euro's main point, basic carbines have been around since the Vietnam War, had a reformation of sorts in the early 90s, and a renaissance in the late 00s.

But its more than anyone would need. Not hard to get an Aimpoint or a MOE HG and a mount w/ light. No reason to go cheap then try to buy yourself out of a lemon.

@Koshinn

That all is dependent upon what the end-user is trying to accomplish. Personal preference shit: I'd run a handstop in-lieu of the gangster grip, and a 300 instead of a 600. Outside of provisions for running an IR laser, or a QD mount for a can, the OP gatpiece is ready to party.

If we're using Euro's rifle as a basic bitch benchmark, to quantify:

1) Run over, filled with sludge, seems to function.
2) ~1MOA with iron sights.
3) Bent flashlight.
4) Sling-of-his preference

Anything else ultimately falls under the rubric of preference/mission-specific requirements.

I think, in the case of Euro's OP, he's essentially indicated that it's hard to argue the merits of a basic 6920 for general-purpose shootery.

If all someone had to work with was the gun presented here, one would still be able to dish out the Lord's vengeance with it.

Would the configuration be optimized for a given set of parameters?

Probably not.

Would it be able to shoot, 24-hours a day, out to 300m, in a Florida swamp?

Cheeeeeeeeyeeeck.

FWIW, I don't think anyone here is spitting shade at the merits of more highly customized carbine configurations; it's more an appreciation for the versatility and viability of what a lot of people would consider a basic blaster.

I guarangoddamntee you, someone, right now, is turning his nose up at a 6920, and buying a [insert your favorite crap brand here] with $500 worth of stocks, grips, and off-brand RDS at a Cabela's as I type this.

I was reading your review if this rifle on the other site. It made me want to pull a 6920 out of the safe and take it camping.

I would agree with the concept of a basic 6920 being more than adequate for most people's first rifle. Take a Colt 6920 and add a set of MagPul furniture (I've grown to like the new MOE SL hand guards and stocks), a Surefire light and an Aimpoint RDS and the end result is a gun that can handle the majority of most people's AR needs. This setup, along with a Glock 19, is the "starter kit" I put together for all of the kids and step-kids. Anything past that is on them.

Curious to know what brand of case you show with the rifle broken down?

tylerw02

Many state this, but is it quantifiable?

Some of the best barrels I've used were Colt barrels with a 203 cut. The "enhanced" barrel profiles haven't shot all that great for me considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointblank4445

Established
Many state this, but is it quantifiable?

Some of the best barrels I've used were Colt barrels with a 203 cut. The "enhanced" barrel profiles haven't shot all that great for me considering.

From what I've seen on my builds is that quality/integrity of the barrel is more important than subtleties like the presence/absence of something like a 203 cut or marginal differences in profile. I've had some Colt SOCOM profile barrels that performed second only to high-end stainless match barrels or maybe an HK barrel (of which the pointless 203 cut is no issue there either). I've always had good performance out of Colt barrels on the whole; same with FN and HK barrels.

N

nate89

9ed2f23e8be46385b3aad1da9f05ba86.jpg

c910a4c07940d45f4d15ec844b04e7ae.jpg

I don't have a 6920, but I took the BCM out yesterday to reconfirm zero and do some practice. Although precision shooter I am not, this was at 50 yards. I was planning on a 5 round group, but called a bad shot on #3 (clearly visible), so I took a sixth shot. I have had this rifle for over 6 years, and have been more than happy with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk