Which X300?

I’m making the switch for my newest Glock (G17) to a Surefire x300 but I am looking for some input on which mounting system is generally preferred for handguns (specifically the Glock). This light will live its life specifically on that Glock so quickly taking it on and off is not a big deal. So A or B? Thanks.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I really don’t think it matters. I’ve got a B on a gun with 4K thru it without issue and 9k through a gun with a TLR on it with out issue. Many will say the same out the A.

Kain

Personally, I prefer the A. I like not needing a tool to get it off the gun when I need to change my batteries. While something of an administrative task for some, not needing to break out the multitool while in a class or something and being able to in a couple second yank off, dump in new batteries, and slap back on is rather nice.

Here is mountain Man Chuck explaining things as well from his view.

davel501

"The X300U-B uses the T-Slot Mounting Rail Systemwhich is best suited for metal framed handguns as well as AR-15 or similar style rails. The T-Slot system is also used on the X400 series of weapon lights. The main issue that people had been experiencing with the T-Slot style mount on polymer guns is the overtightening of the light causing reliability issues with the gun or under tightening of the light causing the light to come off. The Rail-Lock system is definitely prefered for use on polymer framed handguns but for use on an AR, the T-Slot has some distinct advantages."

Full article here: https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/surefire-x300u-a-vs-b-article/

WAVandal

We damaged a couple of Glock frames with the X300U-B thumb screw. They were over-tightened by some of my favorite apes and caused damage that resulted in the guns not running right. We dumped off all of the Bs and went back to the As.

Seth Thompson

In a basic training situation, I've watched a fair number of dudes shoot loosely adjusted thumb wheel mount pistol lights off the end of their guns, both the SF "B" and the Streamlight ones. I'm more inclined toward a non-adjustable "A" mount these days, but if you're not "that guy", then party on.

JPitts0117

Due to not employing my rifle as often as I do my handgun so less battery usage I prefer B for rifles and A for handguns.

sekrtg

I don't know if others have encountered this, but my team has a problem with the A model mounts getting thrashed by high round counts on G22s. The vertical screws holding the rail lock(?) will frequently get broken, it's happened to about a dozen lights so far. Some of us went out of pocket and got B models and haven't had such problems, though we did have the learning curve re: not over tightening the horizontal screw. Just another reason to ditch .40 IMO.

chasnojm

I've got two of them, I just go with hand tight and a quarter turn passed that point. I personally never had one fall off. Throw some blue Loctite (as provided with the Alphas) on the locking screw if necessary. That won't hurt anything and add some peace of mind if you need it. Alphas make it easy, but depending on your pistols of choice, it might require flipping plates and shimming. Glocks are pretty much no drama.

Bill Assande

Amateur
I have the A model which works well with all my pistols except my Springfield Operator, where there is enough play for it to be annoying.

Seth Thompson

A bit of a postscript on thumbwheel "B" mounts- a shooter brought a Glock 22 to me that was having strange malfunctions. He had cinched his thumbwheel down so tight with some kind of tool that his dust cover was actually deformed enough to drag on the recoil spring assembly.

"That Guy" needs a non-adjustable mount of some kind... o_O

WUtah

A model works great on stock Glock frames.

B model for Lone Wolf Distributor frames and Sig P320. Basically anything that is pic style or out of spec interface.

The A model does come with a wedge style mounting set up, but it sucks and comes loose.