Which 1911 single stack mags?

David O

I no longer have a 1911, but concur with the others about the Wilson Combat magazines. McCormick's weren't bad, but not as good as the Wilson's IMHO.

As everyone else stated Wilson! Go to any match that there are 1911's and I bet 95% of them are running Wilson mags! I have a whole bottom shelf of one of my safes full of the 8 rounders and the 10 rounders for 9mm.

Atlas

I have heard from some of the customers that come through the store that the "Powermags" from McCormick have good results. Personally I don't run a 1911 but every time someone comes to the store with any problem and I see a 1911, my first question is always. Do you have a Wilson combat mag in it?

ta2d_cop

Wilson 47Ds is all I use. Guess the meusoc stuck with me. I've never had any mag related issues with them back to 2000 when I started using them.

Sam

I haven't run any Wilson mags yet but did pick up a bundle of McCormick a number of years ago and haven't had any issues with them.

SPQR476

MAGPUL
Vendor
I ran McCormick Powermag 8 and 10's, and still do. I liked them better than the Wilsons since the 8rd Wilson floorplates came off too readily in the 8rd version of the day. The McCormick bodies felt sturdier, the floorplates stayed on, the 10 rounders don't have that front metal tab like the Wilsons, and they ran 100%. I have not tried the latest Wilson offerings, though, as I don't run 1911 much, and I have a pile of McCormicks. In reality, we were issued Wilson 7 rounders, and I trained with those some, but mostly all McCormick, all the time.

PM07

Staff member
I used Wilson 47Ds exclusively for the last several years. I picked up some McCormick Powermag 10 rounders at the beginning of the year to use during this eval. So far so good with about 800 rounds through them.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
I've used both, and had issues with the McCormicks allowing the rd to nosedive, causing feeding issues. After I installed no tilt followers and xpower springs in them, they ran like scalded dogs.

Wilsons just ran.

SPQR476

MAGPUL
Vendor
McCormick shooting stars gave me occasional nosediving issues and even some drop free issues. Never had a lick of trouble with the powermags, though.

Chris Taylor

Never had any drop issues, but the 6 or 7 Powermags all did the nosedive thing. Small sample, granted, but enough to drive me to the Wilson bandwagon.

Honestly, mags are consumable items. If you have a bunch that work, shoot'em til they stop. Then either rebuild or throw'em out.

PM07

Staff member
Chris
Were they the standard Powermag or the Power Plus version? I've heard the Powerplus version had issues.

BTW , I was allowed on here the same way you got to be staff ..I payed off Matt. ;)

Chris Taylor

Shane, I honestly don't remember. I want to say regular Powermags, but I've slept since then, and I've passed them off to folks that needed mags, so I don't have any to hand.

I'll remind Matt to put you on a quarterly installment plan. :D