Wheelguns?

JekPokins

Amateur
Are there any wheelgun aficionados here?
Everytime I find myself without any, I miss them. The wife and I are going to Yellowstone in the late Spring, and I seem to be finding my way into a decent hiking trip every year now so I think I am slowly and quietly justifying a S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum to myself, for bears if nothing else.

I don't quite think that I'll ever choose a 5 shot 44 Mag if I expect to find myself in "combat", but having read all of the Jim Cirillo stories and stuff that I can get my hands on, I think it would do just fine in a pinch.

Show em if you got em...

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
*cough* Yeah, I kinda like'em. *cough*

If you're looking at a S&W 44, do yourself a favor and get the Garrett of Texas Defender 310s to use for critters.

Personally, I'd probably recommend a Ruger Redhawk over the Smith.

Last edited:

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
First handgun was a Detective Special and I still shoot it regularly. I also have a USFA single action 45 Colt that's a dream to shoot. I'd still like a double action 45 Colt just for fun....maybe a Ruger Alaskan, since I also love snubs.

regdudedrtyjob

I bought a SW m 629-6 used for Christmas. Intent was to have a camping/hiking gun, and to use it for hunting elk and deer. Funny you mention Yellowstone, my wife and I are celebrating our 4-year anniversary there this July. The 629 will be going with us. The previous owner had backed out the strain screw so DA was not always fully striking the primer. I tightened it back up and hopefully I can get to the range soon to make sure it's working again.

I started out as a revolver fan, but mostly use them for play now. Every few years I get the revolver bug and have to have something. The last time, it was DA Colts. I got a New Service in .38-40 and an Army Special (frame that became the Python) in .32-20. Fun stuff, and I even shot a couple of IDPA matches with the New Service.

Since I don't live in the middle of big beasties, I haven't seen the need for anything real big. I've had .41 and .44 mags, but they never seem to stay. I just don't use them, and admit I hate the recoil.

I bought a .44 Spl Ruger Blackhawk when they came out a few years ago, and that has been one of the most fun guns I've ever owned. Accurate, reasonable size, plenty of thump, and easy recoil. Fun.
I don't really NEED any more revolver than that.

However... I've been eyeing up the S&W 69 also. Like your Yellowstone plan, I've been using our almost-annual trips to the Smokies (and their dog-sized bears) as justification.
Really I just want a DA to shoot .44 Spl in for fun, so don't need an N-frame. Never mind that I already have a S&W 696. That's not important.

JekPokins

Amateur
I have an eye on a Ruger Super Blackhawk that is being offered at a ridiculously nice price for my bear needs. My biggest concern is running something as different as a SA revolver under stress when 99.9% of my gun toting life, skills, and abilities are built around tenifer and plastic guns.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
The Blackhawk is a helluva gun, with tons of possibilities. Having one on hand, and learning to run it as proficiently as possible if you don't have a lot of time on one, is nothing but a good thing. Expanding the skill set and all that.

It will also do what you need it to do, and do it with some style.

That said, for your needs, a DA wheelie may be a better choice. I spent 10wks in AK last summer, and carried a 4" Redhawk over a SA. Faster follow-up shots under stress was my main concern, not that I was all that concerned about running into Yogi looking to steal my pick-a-nick basket.

A pissed off bear ain't likely to give you time to reload, so that's pretty much a wash.

Another option to consider, since you have more time with Tupperware :D is a Glock 10mm. Ammo is less easy to find, but has a decent amount of ass behind it. It has a small, but growing, popularity in the Great White North from what I've seen.

JekPokins

Amateur
The Blackhawk is a helluva gun, with tons of possibilities. Having one on hand, and learning to run it as proficiently as possible if you don't have a lot of time on one, is nothing but a good thing. Expanding the skill set and all that.

It will also do what you need it to do, and do it with some style.

That said, for your needs, a DA wheelie may be a better choice. I spent 10wks in AK last summer, and carried a 4" Redhawk over a SA. Faster follow-up shots under stress was my main concern, not that I was all that concerned about running into Yogi looking to steal my pick-a-nick basket.

A pissed off bear ain't likely to give you time to reload, so that's pretty much a wash.

Another option to consider, since you have more time with Tupperware :D is a Glock 10mm. Ammo is less easy to find, but has a decent amount of ass behind it. It has a small, but growing, popularity in the Great White North from what I've seen.

Yes, a Blue Label G20 certainly makes the most sense in a lot of ways, and may be the route I go in the end. But the old school sexiness of a wheel gun may overwhelm me before all is said and done. The Blackhawk I'm eyeing is a little cheaper than what I can get a 20 for. Oh the dilemma.

N

nate89

I went through a time when I shot and carried a revolver more. I even took a couple pistol classes with a Smith Model 19, which was both very enjoyable and satisfying. It's a pretty great feeling when you can keep up with the rest of the class with 6 rounds and speedloaders. I have to say that Smith model 19 has been one of my favorite guns, but the GP100 is built like a tank and shoots very well.

Dan_Kemp

Amateur
I have become a born again revolver carrier.

Because I have large hands, most subcompact pistols in "combat" calibers just don't sit well in my hands. I never wanted to be fumbling to get a grip on something while simultaneously trying to get off a couple sufficiently-aimed rounds into someone's chest cavity. Usually I just said the hell with it and hauled a full-sized 1911 around because that's what I have and wasn't in a position to get anything else. Life after the Army hasn't paid well. I was in a position to ONLY buy once and cry once. The Glock 19 was bigger than I wanted, the Remington R51 was born dead through sloppy QC, Colt hasn't made the M1903 in .380 in years, and I couldn't afford a bobtailed Commander which is what I really wanted.

This led me back to revolvers. I've got a WWII S&W Victory Model in .38/200 and a 1937 Brazilian contract S&W M1917 in .45ACP. A friend had a shorty Model 19 I liked, then I found the Model 60-15. One writer described it as "Honey, I shrank the Model 686." Hiding the extra inch of barrel compared to a traditional 2" snub seemed easy (until it came time to holster shop but that's another thread), the sights were the excellent S&W revolver sights and not shiny stainless snubby sights, and 5 shots of .357 (or .38 +P Gold Dots) seemed better than 7 of .380. Plus it fit in my hand much better than those tiny semiautos where my firing grip was two fingers with a pinky finger out in the air. I can get two HKS speedloaders into a pocket or something easily enough, and do. I put a couple more in the glove box of my truck.

So it's comfortable. I carry a lot more often, which is a good thing. I figure a .357 I do have beats the hell out the .45 I left home because I didn't think I would need the cannon that day.

R. Moran

Staff member
I go back and forth on revolvers, I like them well enough, but I'm not giving up the auto's any time soon.
I've been thru a handful and currently have:
M36 39spl 3" barrel
M13 357mag 3" barrel x2
M586 357mag 6" barrel, silhouette model.

I don't do much outdoors these days, but for a woods type gun, I think having the feeding device as an integral part of the gun, might not be a bad thing.

ptrlcop

Established
I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a wheelgun simply because I've never had one and think I might learn something about shooting by learning to work one well. I really want a 3" N frame but I'm not sure I'm willing to drop the coin they seem to be getting. I have no idea what I'll end up with.

R. Moran

Staff member
For just learning to run a revolver, or marksmanship improvement..I wouldnt spend the coin on whats basically a collectors piece.

A 4" 38 or 357 like S&W K or L frame, or Ruger should be more then good enough.

nyeti

Staff member
I might have one around here someplace.....:rolleyes:. I am actually trying to own all of them. Ever since I settled on the HK VP 9 as my everyday carry gun with a Smith 442 BUG, my firearms world became boring. I carry a soul -less polymer counter robbery tool. So now, I have gone back to goofing around with guns that simply give me pleasure, which are revolvers.