What's the best?

Look up the modcast with Chuck on armor. It’s old, I don’t know if you can still find it or not-they dive deep into threats and limitations.

I apologize for resurrecting an almost 2 year old reply, but could I get some clarification on what this means? I understand that M193 at a certain velocity (20" bbl IIRC) will defeat AR500 steel plates, and M855 will defeat poly. I am not aware of ceramics having any issues defeating run of the mill 5.56mm rounds.

youre right, upon rereading my comment I used ceramic instead of steel/poly. White box is cranking 3100, according to the modcast 3400 out of a 16 in barrel- eats ar500 for breakfast. NOT ceramic. I’ll flag it and see if Matt can delete it.

What's the best armor money can buy?

The best overall plate I've got info on is the Leading Technology Composites 28595. It's about $2,000 per unit, weighs 4.75lb for a Swimmer medium, and is single-hit rated for 7.62x51mm M993 at 3,100ft/s. This is a standalone plate that greatly exceeds NIJ Level IV and requires no soft armor backing. If single hit protection is a liability, look to the Leading Technology Composites 28601 or the Hesco 4520, which are non-standalone XSAPIs rated to stop M993 or M995 three times over. The 28601 is around $1,700 per unit while the Hesco 4520 is sold by ATT Tactical for around $1,100 per unit.

HighTower

I just made some phone calls about the Hesco LL plate, the NON NIJ stuff gets pretty insane. (ATT actually)

On the otherside of the coin, and if one is not a clutz, one can get a multi curve shooters cut stand alone NIJ 4 plate comparable to HESCO, the HighCom 4sas7 for 160. (For NIJ 06, the 4S17M for 180)

If i can id want to test the highcom 4s above and the NIJ IV hescos vs m855... im confident they would work, but id rather see what happens before i find out the hard way.

The RMA 1189 can take 300 WM, but every one I have talked to said the energy will put your sturnum into your spine.