What water filter do you use?

JimH

What water filter do you use?
Inline or gravity?
Why did you pick that filter?

I like the Lifestraw Mission 12L gravity filter.

The LifeStraw Mission is a gravity powered system that purifies water to 0.02 microns, making contaminated water safe to drink by removing bacteria, parasites, microplastics, and viruses. Ideal for groups, the LifeStraw Mission can provide more than 18,000 liters (4,755 gallons) of clean water and filter as much as 12 liters (3.4 gallons) per hour.
The hollow fiber membrane removes:
  • 99.999% of viruses (Rota virus, Hepatitis A)
  • 99.9999% of bacteria (E. coli)
  • 99.9999% of parasites (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc.)
  • 99.999% of microplastics

I like a paint cloth pre-filter before it goes into the bag.
What do you use and why?

jBravo3

As with any piece of equipment, mission/context will determine which one I actually grab, and I have a few. At home, there's a Royal Berkey, which is there primarily "just in case" me or mine have to resort to creek or pond water for whatever reason.

Beyond that, I've got an MSR Guardian that hasn't seen use in years, multiple 2oz Sawyer Mini's stashed here and there, and a couple of the 3oz Sawyer Squeeze filters.

The only filter I've been using the past couple years is the squeeze. I carry it with two SmartWater bottles and a Platypus bladder if doing an overnight or multiple night backcountry/backpacking/fishing/mountain biking trip. It's been my go to just because I think it's a good balance between price, flow, weight, reliability, service life, etc. The mini is a good filter, I just got tired of the reduced flow rate and more frequent need to clean. The extra ounce for the Squeeze is worth it.

glentlor

I recommend Berkey's BK4X2-BB gravity water filter, I live in a city famous for its quality tap water, but the chlorine still makes me uncomfortable, and the topic of the micro-pharmaceuticals in the supply water supply. The filter is great, the Berkey is easy to assemble, use and clean, and the water from this unit tastes great.

MynameisDat

Amateur
I've got life straws but mainly use my Platypus Gravity filter. Have drank dozens of gallons from it camping and it's been awesome. Filters quick as well.

Boy Scout

Sawyer mini in the Go Bag, Katadyn BeFree 3L bladder in my hiking pack.

So far both have been great, only con thus far is the BeFree bladder has a rubbery smell that is slightly annoying, but it has t affected the taste of the water.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I look at it as a layered system.

For your home, storage of plenty of water on hand.

Everyone should own a Big Berkey (or similar) gravity filter.

Have your EDC/GHB/BOB supplies packed with both the on the go Katydyn purifaction tablets and actual filters like a Lifestraw or MSR/Katydyn expedition style filter.

jdgiii

I have a few Sawyer mini's in the family vehicles and we have a Platypus gravity filter that has served us on many backpack trips. The Platypus is super simple, filters pretty quick and packs well.