What roles do lasers serve?

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Looking cool?

Can't fight under NODS very well without them.
IFF, IED location, force deescalation device, etc.

e1a81175b2a10ae00d6a02d9cdea8fad.jpg
700827c8b0ae3af4b19feba4f4e085ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogarth

Only lasers I have are CT visible lasers on little guns with crappy sights: a J frame and an LCP.

In my opinion, they are an effectiveness-multiplier for these little guns, taking them from a "Jack Ruby" gun into something you could make rapid shots with at 25 feet and out.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
They can also be a force escalation that's not intended. I've seen a couple "GO AHEAD AND TASE ME!" incidents. Not a detriment, but just something to be aware of. In these instances once they became aware it wasn't a Taser dot, it deescalated quickly.

I am the only LEO in the entire region if not this side of the state that uses a laser on my patrol rifles. I use it as an alternate sight system, marking locations under strict criteria of being allowed to point my muzzle there, and amusing cats. I use the vis laser way more than the IR, but that's the nature of patrol work versus other uses. There are a couple pistol lasers around me, and they work excellent for working behind shields. Most don't understand them, and try to use the laser as a point shooting aid instead of the laser helping with your sights.

Alternate sight system, marking, signalling, amuses cats.

Discuss.
It drives my dog fucking nuts! Oh and it helps me nail the shit out of some guys when I'm running OPFOR under NODs! And I have taken several hogs under NODs with IR lasers.

Not saying there is not a use for visual lasers but other than fucking with the dog mine never gets used.

Bronson

Fury
1) Alternate Sighting Solution

If my RDS goes down / optic is damaged so that I can't use it as a ghost ring for effective hits my VIS Laser is an alternative sighting solution. This is why so prefer Green VIS Lasers for their superior visibility compared to red. That being said - on bright sunny days the effective range of the VIS Laser is likely not going to reach too far.

It is also viable for when you cannot obtain a proper cheekweld while getting on the optic, such as asymmetric shooting positions and wearing a protective mask.

2) Signaling

VIS Lasers offer a unique advantage in signaling. Ordering a teammate to cover a door or window is often made more effective by lasing said door or window.

It can also be used in link-up / consolidation procedures (lasing under a closed door with with part of the force composition behind it for example) as part of a PACE Plan if Chemlights are unavailable. This needs to be briefed and agreed upon and used only under specific situations if adopted - lasing teammates is unacceptable and could lead to blue on blue incidents.

3) Tracking

Using a VIS Laser to track a moving target can work, and is sometimes easier to provide shot correction and increasing a lead as needed. Further, having teammates see the VIS Laser tracking alongside cover can help them determine exactly when to open up when there is a break in said cover (window, mud hikes, breaks in a wall).

Green VIS Laser can also help aid human tracking by registering footprints, blood spoor when white light spill is undesired.

4) Deescalation

OCONUS - charging a weapon system will often obtain more effect than simply pointing a weapon at folks. A VIS Laser (or several) can often deescalate situations. I had my best luck at this by lasing Fighting Aged Guys groins.

5) IED Tripwire Detection: I'm alive and have all my limbs because of this. A VIS Laser emits a straight beam that, when encountering a tripwire, will refract off it.

For this TTP to be effective, a fighting formation set with one PAX lasing and one PAX observing (either one can call a halt) with lethal cover in place and part of the fighting formation. It's a niche solution, but sometimes a necessary one. Same
Principle applies to NODS.

It's slow, but far preferable to CASEVAC'ing a wounded teammate.

For those reason, an IR/VIS Laser can typically be found in every weapons platform I use.