What AR15 for under $1000?

regdudedrtyjob

If you are fine with a stock OEM Colt 6920 (I am), then that makes sense. If you have some experience with the platform and have preferences for the fore end/rail/trigger/butt stock/etc., I'd go the piece together a BCM route. I've seen some S&W M&P's that ran well, but I will stick with Colt and BCM.

Default.mp3

Established
If you are fine with a stock OEM Colt 6920 (I am), then that makes sense. If you have some experience with the platform and have preferences for the fore end/rail/trigger/butt stock/etc., I'd go the piece together a BCM route.
Your wording is a bit ironic, as there is now actually something called a Colt LE6920-OEM1/LE6920-OEM2, and it would fit in very well besides the trigger part:

With the good-guy discount at DSG, I can get these for sub-700 USD.

I've also heard good things about Sionics. Would love to hear feedback from non-biased sources, though.

regdudedrtyjob

That's actually what I was talking about. Pretty smart IMO, because much like the stock sights on a Glock, the Colt hand guards and butt stock are kind of like placeholders on the 6920. I'm not opposed to the standard butt stock, but there is better stuff out there. With all the good to great rails out there, same goes for the stock fore end.

rob_s

I'm actually pretty disapointed in what is available off the rack these days in terms of ARs. yes, a new shooter/buyer would absolutely be well-served by walking into Walmart and buying a 6920 and then ordering an Aimpoint PRO online. The problem, IMO, comes in when they try to actually go do much with the combination. There really isn't an ideal workable solution for mounting a decent two-point sling to the gun. Attaching a light is also, perhaps less-so, problematic. Additionally, anyone getting out and using the gun much is going to quickly exceed the limitations of the 7" handguard as they start to try to shoot off of braced positions, or even get a modern grip on the forend (especially if they've mucked it up with sling attachments and lights, God forbid a VFG or hand stop!). There used to be a few makers that offered drop-in FSB-cut handguards that could be installed by dremeling-off the delta ring, but even those are (a) more of a pain than they should be and (b) starting to disapear because they are more of a pain than they should be.

What I'd really like to see is Colt offer a 6720 FF with a basic tube-style handguard on it. Something like the ALG would be good, as it's a <$150 option. The next-best choice would be to buy a 6920 OEM and buy your own grip, stock, and handguard but even that's not ideal as it's not truly off-the-rack.

I'd be inclined to tell someone to buy this thing over the Colt if they could find it on the rack somewhere, even though I think the "specs" may be a little lacking, only because it's more functional out of the box.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...87653_757785_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Grayman

Established
I had an early MP15 that ran great! I probably put 7-8k through it before it was reborn with a BCM upper.

For a straight off the rack don't know shit about fuck kinda guy I'd have no problem suggesting they look at a MP15 or any Walmart spec colt.

If they have even a shred of experience or knowledge it makes far more sense to go the custom order route. A cheap decent lower and a BCM upper will be way more bang for their buck!

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
The 6920 is the gold standard for a reason.

1- It's an entry level gun that gives John Q a chance to get a good gun *now* instead of in 6mos when he gets the extra cheddar for a semi-custom or high end offering.
2- It's an easily accessible gun that he doesn't have to order and wait on.
3- It fills a need for folks that just need a basic, KISS carbine. All the cool guy shit is awesome and useful, but for those starting out, a good solid, basic, no bullshit gun and some classes will go further than just about anything.
4- It gives experienced folks a solid affordable KISS gun for a spare or to introduce new shooters.
5- It gives a good, in spec, lower that people can order a new upper for when/if they reach the end of limitations in themselves and the gun.
6- Being a basic gun, it allows novice shooters or those inexperienced with the AR to see what modifications and options *they* need/want to spend money on, instead of an already put together package of options they may not need or want.

Is the 6920 perfect? No. Many of us here already know the limitations of the system, and already have an idea of what we need. But, we're in the upper percentages of shooters, and look at gear from our frame of reference. Most folks don't have our knowledge and experience.

The 6920 solves a lot problems for those folks.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
When a manufacturer makes a lower, it has to be serialized as a either a pistol or rifle. If you read that ruling, one manufactured as a pistol can be converted to a rifle, but you can't go the other way without falling under NFA34.

Yes it's stupid, but if you are going to assemble a swappable gun, just buy a pistol lower.

W

Whootsinator

When a manufacturer makes a lower, it has to be serialized as a either a pistol or rifle. If you read that ruling, one manufactured as a pistol can be converted to a rifle, but you can't go the other way without falling under NFA34.

Yes it's stupid, but if you are going to assemble a swappable gun, just buy a pistol lower.

I believe you're in a position to know more than I do, and I don't pretend to know what I don't know. The last lower I had transferred to me was on the books as an 'other', neither a pistol nor a rifle. My understanding up to this point has been that lowers can be manufactured as pistols, rifles, OR 'other'. What's the full picture?

WUtah

If you check out Bud's Gun Shop online sometimes they have Adams Arms ARs in the 750+ price range.

Andy Mahina

IMO, a quality rifle is hard to find for under 1k. I personally know, as many of us do I'm sure budgeting is important and personal firearms are not always priority in our lives *GASP!

Now I have only owned 3 rifles in my life so I know my experience is extremely limited but I thought I would just share and take the heat anyway. The first was a M16 style flat top Bushmater that worked just fine but was not what I wanted in a rifle. We bought for way to much during the gun scare back in 2012. I then sold it for less then half what I got it for(still kicking myself for spending that much) and purchased a Daniel Defense M4A1 and even though it put me back regarding our funds and saving and all that stuff, it is a great rifle I feel. It does what I've asked when I've asked. Recently got an MK18 and am working on finishing that but I have a solid feeling it will preform as well as the M4.

Finding a great deal is important yes, but skipping quality parts because they push past the $1000 limit is not fair to yourself. Both my DD's were each under $1400. I did not mind since I knew I would be getting quality. At least quality I was wanting.