Weapon Mounted Light Failures, specific to pistols

JamesH

Amateur
I’m trying to collate some data for work regarding WMLS failures for pistols to end up with a list of failures that would rule a light as not duty grade. Can you please post your first hand experience in the following format:
- Light manufacturer
- Model
- Failure
- Was it user serviceable or did it require the manufacturer
Eg:
“surefire x300u-a, led failure, manufacturer replaced unit”
or
“surefire x300u-a, switch fell off during shooting, user serviceable”

shoobe01

Established
Streamlight TLR-6. Known design issue though don't tell anyone important at Streamlight that someone who works there told me that. Screw bosses are not reinforced sufficiently (float in the case, no webs attach to side or case. Can shear away when over-tightened (as part of install) or weapons is dropped, etc. Unclear how damage occurred, noticed loose light at pre-service inspection. One did for me, light continued to operate but was somewhat loose on the pistol. Laser would have been deeply not-zeroed (I do not use the laser but the light moved a lot). Manufacturer mailed new case (for free, in 2 days), which was user replaced.

Surefire X300U-A with DG switch, mounted to M&P 9mm 4.25. Carried in Safariland 6360RDS. Exposed to running around in all weather conditions (weird day: rain, freezing rain, snow, sun). Mud and banging around, etc. Not immersed, dropped, wrestled with, etc. Gun was fired appx 40 rounds over the course of the day. Some hours later cleaning up, hosed and brushed off items including pistol and holster before detail cleaning due to silty mud. When taking guns apart some hours later, the X300 was on at a low power; hit any button, goes to full power but when released goes back to the dim on. Removed light from gun, removed batteries to turn off. No obvious water ingress or damage to light or switch. Air dried, cleaned with alcohol, etc. Worked after that. X300U-A on carbine carried the whole time had no failures.

Modlite PL350 #1 Failure of switch where additional pressure had to be added to paddle for light to activate. Found crack on back housing - Replaced by Modlite non serviceable

Modlite PL350 #2 Failure of switches where sweat/moisture caused metal to rust and rusted switch in off position, also started to develop crack in switch housing in same manner as #1 light. - Replaced by Modlite non serviceable

Surefire X-300U-A 1000 lumen - Failure of battery door clip became brittle and cracked, Replaced by Surefire via part sent to me, user serviceable

Attachments

• 12DBE6EE-1871-4429-8609-94227FA602C8.jpeg
    12DBE6EE-1871-4429-8609-94227FA602C8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 8C3912F8-1BE0-49A0-8A4D-CB0F95ECBF9A.jpeg
    8C3912F8-1BE0-49A0-8A4D-CB0F95ECBF9A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8