Weapon light switchology configuration issue

MOT

Recently got a modlite 18650 plhv2 for my rifle. I set it up with a surfire ds00 tail cap and a unity tactical integrated mount mod button. This setup I’ve seen others do and it meets the requirements I have for it.

However there’s a problem. I put about 150 rounds through the rifle with it on there and the next day my light setup doesn’t work.
I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the SF ds00. Light works just fine with original clicky cap. I’ve played with the ds00 on an SF handheld with the mod button and I’m getting very inconsistent results.
What I’m wondering is if it’s a known or probable thing that the modlite 18650 will burn out the SF switch.
Surefire was not happy with me when I called them. I’m not supposed to mix and match their stuff with other company’s products. None of the other companies represented have gotten back in touch.

Currently I have the light back up and running on an arisaka mount with the clicky cap. Very functional just not as convenient to use. This is not a duty weapon so none of this shit will be getting me kilt induh streetz. Purely a general purpose carbine for a regular dude that wants gear to be reliable and well setup.

Pearce

Amateur
MOT,

I had pretty much the exact same issue using the original ModButton and a DS00 switch. After swapping around numerous parts it appeared the issue was with the combo of the original ModButton and the DS00 switches only.

I ended up swapping the original ModButton for the ModButton Lite and I have had zero problems with the ModButton Lite/DS00 combo in the last year.

Sorry this isn't a technical fix for your problem but hope it helps.

Reactions: MOT
MOT, I and several coworkers had a slew of issues with the modbutton/MB lite and both styles of surefire tailcap.
We did not see the same problems with the hot button and that is what I use now with a DS00.

MOT

Anyone tried the HRF RAMP? It seems like another viable option.
Basically my intended use for the light is mostly momentary only with the option of going constant. Nothing wrong with clicky caps it’s just a little less optimal.

Royroy

Amateur
The ramp is nice if you’re not running a peq or low mounted LPVO. The angle is easier on my wrist, but gets in the way of the battery compartment on my guns with peqs.

Royroy

Amateur
@MOT have you played around with your setup any further, and found anything that resolved your issues? I’ve been seeing in consistent results on several of my rifles and other guys rifles with the new axon switches and the Surefire 640df lights. It seems to be an issue with the connection in the tailcap and the switch. Considering the mod button, hot button, axon, and taps are all made by unity, as far as I know, I would imagine the plugs are also all coming from the same place. Short of ordering in bulk, mixing and matching which ones fit properly, and sending the rest back I’m not really sure how else to combat the issue. I have found that a little dielectric grease on the plugs helps sometimes but not on everyone I have come across.

MOT

@MOT have you played around with your setup any further, and found anything that resolved your issues? I’ve been seeing in consistent results on several of my rifles and other guys rifles with the new axon switches and the Surefire 640df lights. It seems to be an issue with the connection in the tailcap and the switch. Considering the mod button, hot button, axon, and taps are all made by unity, as far as I know, I would imagine the plugs are also all coming from the same place. Short of ordering in bulk, mixing and matching which ones fit properly, and sending the rest back I’m not really sure how else to combat the issue. I have found that a little dielectric grease on the plugs helps sometimes but not on everyone I have come across.
Nah man I’ve been frustrated with it. Just put the stock modlite clicky cap on the back and been running that. It’s been working but frankly I have not been thrilled with the modlite and I’m going to switch over to the surefire duel fuel turbo. I’m curious to see if the SF DF turbo will play with the unity mount/momentary switch. Will report back.

Royroy

Amateur
Yeah I have both. I put a DF on my main squeeze for durability reasons but the flickering and inconsistent output has happened on both setups. I’ve had better luck with the Modlites than the DF. I’ve heard some guys getting better results by using cr123’s in the DF lights, but you’re sacrificing output/runtime and the perk of having a rechargeable battery.

MOT

Yeah I have both. I put a DF on my main squeeze for durability reasons but the flickering and inconsistent output has happened on both setups. I’ve had better luck with the Modlites than the DF. I’ve heard some guys getting better results by using cr123’s in the DF lights, but you’re sacrificing output/runtime and the perk of having a rechargeable battery.
Damn, that’s no good. Guess I’d better go back to slapping older hand held surefires on the guns. That really never gave any problems. Or perhaps it’s time to try out the arisaka lights.