VSBR and Modified Stocks

N

nate89

The recent 41p change has gotten me to finally start looking at getting an SBR, and possibly a second SBR lower as well. While I am intending to keep one lower fairly vanilla, with either a standard carbine RE, or maybe going with an A5 system, I have had thoughts of working on a very short rifle package that could be more easily carried around in a standard-sized bag. While I don't intend to carry a long gun around much, I think having the option is nice, as well as I am a gear whore and think a project like this would be interesting to do. The primary decision I am looking to make is what the back end of the lower should be. This will probably have a 7.5"-ish 300 Blackout upper on it, or something along those lines, so the name of the game is reducing OAL as much as is practical. After looking around for quite awhile, I have a few viable options I am looking at:

1: LWRC Ultra Compact Stock kit
2: LAW Tactical folding stock adapter
3: MVB ARC Stock

While I realize there are other options out now, these seem to be some solid choices. Does anyone have any of these and have feedback? Am I missing other options that could be better? Is the extra money being spent not worth the small reduction? Here is my current pro/con list for each

1:LWRC
Pro
-least expensive option
-looks to have the best cheek-weld
-functions at any position
Con
-not as short as other options
-non-standard RE/buffer/action spring

2: LAW Tactical
Pro
-shortest option when folded
-ability to use standard RE
Con
-non-functional until unfolded

3:ARC
Pro
-shorter than the LWRC and fully functional when collapsed
-PDW-style stock that still uses the standard BCG
Con
-cost
-non-standard RE/buffer/action spring

I figure, if nothing else, this can be a thread with info about these non-standard RE set-ups, and a place to find info about them. Thanks all in advance.

voodoo_man

Established
I've used the LAW tactical unit extensively and am in the process of upgrading from the Gen3 to the Gen3-M, the company sent me one to T&E and after feedback the next gen is out so I'll have to try to break that one too.

It works well and as advertised. Fairly straight forward install and very few issues that you would have to worry about. I carried a 7.75" upper MK107 on an SBR lower with the law adapter in a backpack for more than a year (nearly everyday) and it worked fine. PWS requires a specific buffer adapter that LAW will provide to you and all others use milspec bolts so LAW's oem buffer adapter will work fine. Yes you can fire it in the collapsed position but then you'd have to push the unit back into place or rack the case out because it may not eject.

As for the MVB ARC PDW unit, I recently installed it and do not have any amount of time behind worth forming an educated opinion about. It is a PDW setup that works with any milspec buffer system, so take that anyway you want.

N

nate89

I did see them mention the PWS specifically as not compatible with the standard insert, I didn't know they made a modified one though.

While the 'pdw' style stocks look like a solid idea, and the ability to use them collapsed sounds good on paper, I wonder if the LAW folder is the most practical of them all. It is the shortest in OAL when folded (but wider I guess), and most of the times I would probably end up taking the time to extend a pdw stock before really shooting it, which negates the disadvantage of the LAW having to unfold it to start firing repeated shots.

If I had more faith in Sig and their long guns, I might be looking more seriously at the MCX with the folding stock. We had one in the store that was the 16" with the side folder stock, and SBR-ing that with the shorter barrel looks like another viable option, assuming the gun is good to go.