Vortex PST Gen II 2-10 vs 3-15

Recondo2117

Amateur
I could use a little advise between these two optic systems. Both are FFP and have 30mm tubes. It is going on a BCM 5.56 18 inch SPR upper along with an offset T1 or RMR. I'm in Sylvester GA and just heard about The Arena matches that happen less than 2 hours from here. Most of my magnified optic experience is with an ACOG or the Trijicon Accupower 1-8 and the 1-8 is still pretty new to me.

I have heard Steve Fisher mention the new Vortex 3-15 a few times, and I'm assuming that the Viper PST Gen II 3-15 is it. Everything I have seen from the past has a 2.5-10 in the SPR role, but I don't really see a reason not to go with the 3-15. It only weighs 2 oz more that the 2-10 and gives me magnification up to 15...

Expert Voice has them both in stock and there is only a $30 difference so price isn't really a factor.

Derek Cox

Amateur
I think the biggest consideration you have between them is reticle options and a smaller FOV with the 3-15 compared to the 2-10. You also have more adjustment in the 2-10 but if you're not dialing all of your adjustments that really won't matter and with the EBR-7C reticle you can do a lot of holdovers.

My opinion is that the 3-15 is a better buy. I've never really understood why they kept the 2-10 around in the Gen 2 models; maybe they just had a bunch of surplus tubes laying around.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
The 3-15 that Steve has been talking about is their new Razor 3-15, which would be a bad ass option, especially if you can get it on expert voice.

In the Viper line I have the 3-15 pst gen II and it's a solidly flexible option for a lot of different rolls. I've used it on a Tikka Tac, I stuck it on my dad's 16" AR for a while, and it'll end up on a Knight's SR-15 in a sort of SPR/DMR type roll. I'm not crazy about the reticle in the 2-10 for any sort of precisionish type shooting, I'd see that more as a higher capability hunting optic.

If you're putting an offset red dot on it anyway as well there's no real need that I would see for having the lower end as a priority anyway aside from field of view and target acquisition, and I've found the 3x to work just fine for that anyway.

I’m getting the exact same setup but along with bcm 18” I’m also considering the centurion arms version. Weight is important to me, but the 3-15 ffp seems to be the best option because of the extra capability and I like the reticle better.

Tots

The 3-15 that Steve has been talking about is their new Razor 3-15, which would be a bad ass option, especially if you can get it on expert voice.

In the Viper line I have the 3-15 pst gen II and it's a solidly flexible option for a lot of different rolls. I've used it on a Tikka Tac, I stuck it on my dad's 16" AR for a while, and it'll end up on a Knight's SR-15 in a sort of SPR/DMR type roll. I'm not crazy about the reticle in the 2-10 for any sort of precisionish type shooting, I'd see that more as a higher capability hunting optic.

If you're putting an offset red dot on it anyway as well there's no real need that I would see for having the lower end as a priority anyway aside from field of view and target acquisition, and I've found the 3x to work just fine for that anyway.
A humble clarification: Razor is 3-18. PST II is the 3-15. Agreement on everything else though.