VLTOR A5 system

tylerw02

Now that the VLTOR A5 system has been out for a few years, what are people's long term experience with them?

Would you put one on your go-to rifle? Is there enough advantage to justify the proprietary parts? Is the difference actually showing up on the timer?

What rifle are you running an A5 on? Which buffer?

I've been tossing around the idea of SBR'ing a Colt 6920 and putting an 11.5" Bravo barrel. For muzzle devices I was thinking either Surefire's new WarComp or just their 3 prong---running it suppressed 90% of the time. Above all, I value function and reliability over a small increase on the timer.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regdudedrtyjob

I have the A5 on my 16 inch mid length. I haven't had problems, but I've only put 450 rounds through it. Subjectively, I think it is a softer shooter than the Colt M4A1 at work, but that could be attributed to the heavier (slightly) weight of my personal gun.

I know a cop that used to work for Vltor. He was very knowledgeable about gunsmithing in general, and specifically on the AR family of rifles. He recommended it, and I haven't seen any reason yet why you shouldn't go that route, especially if you are going to run an SBR. Hope that helps.

Grayman

Established
I have had A5's on my 11.5 SBR and my 16" middy for several years. I find them to be smoother shooting than a standard carbine buffer length even with heavier buffer weights. The added spring length definitely helps compensate for overgassed systems and makes it shoot like a middy with the carbine buffer. The important thing to note is that even when shot with weak loads through an already undergassed system the A5 still shines. Unlike simply throwing an overly heavy buffer in the carbine length this system is actually designed to fix over gassing without affecting performance on weak ammo or dirty guns.

The only downside is the added length of pull. I have orangutang arms so it works fine for me but you will notice the difference. If you can run this system at the 7th position you must have huge shoes and other appendages....

CTmike

The Vltor A5 seems to out of stock at the regular locations I look. BCM has an Intermediate length A5 system. Are there any significant differences between the Vltor and BCM offerings?

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
To my understanding, BCM A5 system is a close proxy for the Vltor. I don't know if the parts are interchangable, but they're similar systems.

MisterHelix

Both of my 6.8x43's have A5 buffer systems, both have mid-length gas.

The suppressed 12.5" has the A5H2 buffer, since it has an SLR adjustable gas block. The unsuppressed 16" has the A5H4 buffer and s standard gas block.

The SLR Sentry 7 AGB makes a bigger difference when shooting suppressed than the A5, actually solving for the overgassed issue instead of trying to counteract it. With both the AGB and the A5, it's very smooth and reliable.

(Edit: I have no idea whatsoever if it increases/decreases my speed)

Default.mp3

Established
The Vltor A5 seems to out of stock at the regular locations I look. BCM has an Intermediate length A5 system. Are there any significant differences between the Vltor and BCM offerings?
From a gas system POV, they are the same, except for the fact that the BCM kits will ship with an A5H0 buffers, while the Vltor kits default to A5H2s. Otherwise, the only real difference is that the BCM RE has more stock positions.