Virginia 2019 Election

Vinsynd

Amateur
Thanks for the correction on the Handgun only part. I missed it.

I get that this bill isn’t awful in terms of affecting most anyone on this board. What does bother me it basically gives non-LEO/non-CCW permit holders four options: join the LE team, pay a fee to get a (previously unwanted) CCW permit, ask the local department for a waver to paying this permit fee, or just deal with the inconvenience.

I liken this to the TSA precheck of gun purchases. The system as designed is purposely slow, inefficient and really doesn’t improve safety; so just pay us for a special card/ID number to bypass it.

This isn’t how laws should be structured.

JB1

Thanks for the correction on the Handgun only part. I missed it.

I get that this bill isn’t awful in terms of affecting most anyone on this board. What does bother me it basically gives non-LEO/non-CCW permit holders four options: join the LE team, pay a fee to get a (previously unwanted) CCW permit, ask the local department for a waver to paying this permit fee, or just deal with the inconvenience ... This isn’t how laws should be structured.

I agree, i personally think there should be no fees involved in meeting the requirements to exercise any constitutional right.

Diz

For those of you in VA, check in with Max at Max Velocity Training. He is organizing free BRM classes for concerned citizens in that AO. Max is an ex-pat Brit para who now teaches BRM, SUT, patrolling, etc. to various groups, incl SF teams, and individuals. He is very involved with the 2A movement up there.

Bawkbird

Amateur
Thanks for the info. I’ll look him up. Right now the house is voting on the modified AWB. It’s a messed up cluster of BS.
AW are banned for sale or transfer in VA. No registry for AW owned prior to July 1, 2020.

Magazine limit bumped up to 12 rounds. No grandfather of magazines. It’s a misdemeanor.

suppressors are banned from sale or transfer in VA but are grandfathered in it owned prior to July 1, 2020.
They are calling this “a compromise”. I don’t think they had the votes in the house for the original bill. Think it’ll pass house today though. I don’t think it will pass senate though. 21 19 split in senate. One Dem (Lewis I think, too lazy to check right now) said he won’t support it. Just need all republicans to vote nay and 1 more democrat. I think we have a legit shot at stopping it in senate. It’ll buy us another year.

JLL2013

Going to be close...the magazine part is the scariest...millions of mags.

HB 961 passed 51 to 48. Three Democrats voted against it in the house. Only need 2 to vote against it in Senate and we already have 1 who vocally opposed it.

Frosty_Bear

VCDL thinks these senators are most likely to flip to beat it in the Senate. This is our last chance to do stop this bill from becoming law in this legislative session. Only need 2 Democrats to flip. Below are the most likely.

Petersen
GA: 804-698-7534
District: 703-349-3361
district34@senate.virginia.gov

Deeds
GA: 804-698-7525
District: 434-296-5431
district25@senate.virginia.gov

Edwards
GA: 804-698-7521
District: 540-985-8690
district21@senate.virginia.gov

Lewis
GA: 804-698-7506
District: 757-787-1094
district06@senate.virginia.gov

Lewis has already stated he is against the bill, but I imagine they're under a lot of pressure to tow the party line. Won't hurt to show that his constituents oppose H.B. 961

Bawkbird

Amateur
https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/02/virginia-lawmakers-reject-assault-weapon-ban/

I really can't believe it, but they have postponed HB961 for a year. Democrat controlled House, Senate, and Governor but still put enough pressure to stop a party line vote on this bill. Should give other states hope. A lot of garbage bills will be passed this year, but at least the AWB is off the table now. It is the small victories.