Video Review: Aaron Barruga: High Threat Enviornment/Vehicle Tactics

BklynBacon

Amateur
I recently purchased this DVD, as a supplement to learning more about tactics in and around the vehicle, since it hasn't caught up to my department or many others, for the most part. My expectation for this DVD, was to give me some drills, and tactics on weapon presentation, shooting positions, and general knowledge; as Aaron touts himself a trainer of LE & Military.

Well..let me say..it was NONE of those. I'm just glad it's only $20.00 down the drain, versus actually attending one of his courses. This is exactly why I don't like giving these young guys coming out a legit chance. After watching this DVD, all I kept saying to myself is: "where's Uncle Pat..he would have addressed this topic with actual clarity". Gunfighting is gunfighting, and while I'm not looking for someone to re-invent the wheel for me, I am looking for relevant and pertinent information, addressing actual police tactics for counter-ambush. First of all, when we get ambushed, it's never as it happens in this DVD. It's usually someone on foot, as we are on a traffic stop, or when we are fucking off in a hiding spot, or similar. We aren't getting ambushed with two vehicles in the front or rear, like we are in Colombia getting kidnapped. I appreciate his service in the Special Forces, but someone needs to go back to the drawing board, and actually do some research on recent cop killings. And our carbines are usually in a gun lock, or in the trunk...which wasn't shown ever.

If you want to watch a "training video", where the trainer spends his entire time, attempting to debunk and deconstruct Will Petty's VCQB program of study, and constantly address internet "derp", along with the constant use of the phrase "data points", well...this is all you. Don't waste your time on this.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
When that whole Barruga-Petty fiasco started I realized quickly one understands police work and one doesn't.

I saw some stills of Barruga's videos and was like "what the hell is that?" Audiences and lanes. Know yours.

275RLTW

When that whole Barruga-Petty fiasco started I realized quickly one understands police work and one doesn't.

I saw some stills of Barruga's videos and was like "what the hell is that?" Audiences and lanes. Know yours.

Can you elaborate?

BklynBacon

Amateur
Can you elaborate?

It's pretty apparent that Barruga has not taken the time to properly research how police officers have been getting ambushed, or what are protocols are for weapon deployment. If you watch the video, they're already armed with their carbines (which never happens for patrol guys), unless we are on our way to a warrant hit or similar.

The tactics displayed are for an open-air ambush a la Army manual 7-8, which happened way less than the typical fashion of how we are engaged. Dallas and Baton Rouge are the most recent true to form hasty ambushes I can recall.

I hope someone can screenshot this to him, so he can reply or at least know how cops feel about his POI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

275RLTW

I'll start this by saying I don't know either of them and I'll leave my lack of respect for Petty out of this response.

Looking at your reviews (you've been trashing Barruga on a few places) it seems that you had specific expectations for that video before it even started and it failed to meet them. Based upon the expressed intent of the video (https://guerrillaapproach.com/product/dvd-combo/) and what you've reported, I think he did exactly as he intended. The failure seems to be a lack of openness to what was being presented. Since it didn't meet what you felt it should have covered, you completely rejected what was being discussed. He wanted to discuss vehicle ambushes as HE has experienced and not as how YOU'VE experienced. He said he wanted to show some military tactics that may help you in extended fights and how/when to apply military style tactics in your environment. He did not say he was going to give you a blueprint on how to respond to an ambush. There is no single, simple answer to that and anyone who says so is only lookng for your money. To state that someone who spent that much time on an ODA didn't do his research before developing a POI is a BS statement. Research is integeral to everything done on a team. Additionally, not considering that protocols for weapon deployment for your dept are the same as every other dept in the country is a gross missassumption.

Again, I'm not defending or bashing on either of them in this post. I am saying, as an instructor, that it seems you just didn't want to consider what he was putting out. Thats not his issue or him being out of his lane.

BklynBacon

Amateur
I've only posted this on lightfighter as well. So it's not a few places. I don't think it's a BS statement that the POI wasn't researched. And weapon deployment is pretty universal for departments. They're gonna be one of two places within the vehicle, and not slung on them like we are on patrol. It's just not going to happen.

I think purchasing the DVD, absolutely shows my openness to learning new things. I'm always down to add something else to the toolbox. I've never experienced being in an ambush, but shouldn't a POI be relevant in tactics to what the bad guys in an environment are doing?

PM07

Staff member
Nick, Check out Talon Defense on FB for his Gunfighter and low Light Gunfighter class. It all fighting in and around vehicles . Chase has been doing this class before Petty and others started. I've payed out of pocket to take my guys to it.