Video In Conjuction with Spotter?

ptrlcop

Established
Our team is in the process of outfitting everyone with body video for use during operations. My concern it that the taser cameras will not do a quality job of recording events as they appear to the sniper/spotter teams.

Does anybody currently have the capability to record video through their spotters? If so, what sort of capacity/battery life do you get out of your system?

KUTF

Why? Has your command staff actually taken a critical look at the "benefits" vs issues with body-cam deployment in a LE tactical setting? Do you already have all the cool gizmos any SWAT guy could want and body cameras are the only thing left? Tight, sensible policies in place (review, access, retention, release, discipline for non-use)? Public disclosure been weighed?

Does your team commander(s) think it's a good idea to record the tactics, techniques and procedures you use inside a target building so they can be PDR'd at a later date and picked-apart by the bad-guys and civil attorneys?

As a sniper I would refuse to use any system that interfered with my ability to make timely observations and protect the team/others. Anything that clips to my scope and/or effects my eye-relief, positioning or otherwise interferes with my basic equipment or my primary function is a non-starter.

At most I think a dash-cam on a Bearcat or whatnot is ok to document PA announcements, the general flow of events and force progression. I think cameras going inside is problematic and a sniper's vantage point shouldn't result in the Cdr steering me by remote control ala the LT in Aliens

ptrlcop

Established
You make a lot of good points. None of them will stop personal video from happening and I am just looking for the best way for me to implement it on my job. I don't have the energy to outline all the whys right now.

Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better

Bronson

Fury
From a .mil standpoint -

We sometimes hooked up spotting scopes to Larue Ipad mounts & Ipads.

Negatives:

1) Weight / Size. Much larger, heavier, more obtrusive combo than just a spotting scope (and whatever else you have on the spotting scope). Increased combat load as well as potential target signature.

2) Backlit. This was mitigated by turning down screen brightness and developing a roll your own screen hood for it and the spotter/observer, but still an issue.

3) Battery Life. Not sustainable for anything other than a one-two-three day mission depending on use. Solar recharging may be a more viable option now.

Positives:

1) Increased screen meant less eye strain as well as a larger sight picture to determine specifics. It was simply easier to see and pinpoint things compared to peering through a scope. Ditto for shot calling and correction.

2) Ability to video record for 15-6 Investigations to prove exactly who you shot, why, where, and when.

3) Can screen grab and work / update a target folder immediately on a separate device.

4) Less training time required to school someone up on it. I can take Joe, give him a quick capabilities brief, a quick diagnostics and troubleshooting brief, and start having him fill in as needed in the event of WIA/KIA or if both snipers need to get on guns for whatever reason.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Hows the resolution on spotting trace? I've seen the video's, and an Ipad would be dope for keeping your eyes from drying out, but so far the Ipad camera's have left me less then impressed.

Bronson

Fury
The version we used (3) was not that effective. The cameras on iPhone 5 & 6's are better, which is crazy.

I don't have any experience with newer models.