VG3 Mod - Suppressor Height Sight Shield

K Williams

Anyone who has carried a RDS equipped pistol with suppressor height sights or simply a tall front sight post in a VG3 has probably experienced snagging on the draw. A slight counter clockwise torque avoids this sometimes, but at speed it happens more often than not.

SHSS%201_zps21djxkun.jpg

I came up with a quick and easy fix today using common household items: a well used flexible kitchen cutting board, sharpie pen, scissors, and a hole puncher. Lay out, measure, punch holes, remount using original hardware, remove excess material, get your draw on. It's lightweight, flexible, free, easily replaceable. A few pics for the visual learners among us.

SHSS%202_zpsqvkziuv2.jpg

SHSS%203_zpsb7njpnfx.jpg

SHSS%204_zpsx4tx8duz.jpg

SHSS%205_zpsbnzhw4f8.jpg

SHSS%206_zpspuwfcbu1.jpg

SHSS%207_zpsscyvpqgv.jpg

SHSS%208_zps6fjjbvnf.jpg

Hope this helps, enjoy.

Ephraim R.

Solid work man.

For those who what to know, the type of material is HDPE sheeting. You can get it super cheap. I would not go any thicker than 1/16th or 3/32nd. They are super cheap online for a a large sheet. Good stuff to have around as backers or whatever.

It's the same stuff as the big clear ice cream containers.

HDPE Sheets

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Solid work man.

For those who what to know, the type of material is HDPE sheeting. You can get it super cheap. I would not go any thicker than 1/16th or 3/32nd. They are super cheap online for a a large sheet. Good stuff to have around as backers or whatever.

It's the same stuff as the big clear ice cream containers.

HDPE Sheets
Thanks for the link!

Ike

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Back in Feb I was doing a vehicle class and my holster hadn't showed up yet so I ordered a VG3, and modified it using a piece of Kydex so it kept both the sights and compensator enclosed. Worked really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!

Ike

K Williams

Rowdy, does the kydex wrap around the other side and if so how is it attached?

Asian Jedi did a cool wrap around mod for an Xfer holster that worked well.

RowdyYates

Rowdy, does the kydex wrap around the other side and if so how is it attached?

Asian Jedi did a cool wrap around mod for an Xfer holster that worked well.
Since the VG3 is ambi, I just drilled holes in the Kydex and attached with screws on both sides of the VG3

oalocke

Bringing this over from FB...

Meet the VG3dolon v.01 Janky edition

As Roland mentioned in the holster modcast, the vg3 is awesome in that it allows me to carry a full blown Roland Special appendix under a t-shirt. However, the long-ass front sight blade has claimed 2 pairs of jeans so far, and the Freya pokes the butt out just enough to print when I shift my body the wrong way. Plus, the comp does get a little toasty after a few rounds, and with a class coming up I decided to make a few mods toward addressing the issues, at least temporarily until Raven releases the official solution.

I made the shield for the slide out of thinnish kydex, since the vg3 as delivered was already plenty rigid. I decided not to mold it closely to the slide partly out of laziness, and partly to maintain some level of universality in the holster. But mostly it was laziness. It's bolted with spare Raven Chicago screw for and aft on both sides.

I added a LH Raven claw from a vg2 advanced kit to tuck the butt in a bit more, since I don't have to worry about the front site snagging anymore. I haven't tried a RH claw yet, but I suspect it would end up being too much of a good thing. (NOTE: Raven has said using a claw on the vg3 will eventually over-stress the holster leading to breakage)

Finally (not shown) I stuck a Dr Sholls adhesive heel pad down by the muzzle to help tuck the top of the gun in a little further, again ala the Eidolon.

I've only been using it a few days but so far it's a solid improvement in both comfort and conceal-ability. If anyone has any other suggestion, gotchas or tweaks for me to try I'd love to hear them.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 96

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Bringing this over from FB...

Meet the VG3dolon v.01 Janky edition

As Roland mentioned in the holster modcast, the vg3 is awesome in that it allows me to carry a full blown Roland Special appendix under a t-shirt. However, the long-ass front sight blade has claimed 2 pairs of jeans so far, and the Freya pokes the butt out just enough to print when I shift my body the wrong way. Plus, the comp does get a little toasty after a few rounds, and with a class coming up I decided to make a few mods toward addressing the issues, at least temporarily until Raven releases the official solution.

I made the shield for the slide out of thinnish kydex, since the vg3 as delivered was already plenty rigid. I decided not to mold it closely to the slide partly out of laziness, and partly to maintain some level of universality in the holster. But mostly it was laziness. It's bolted with spare Raven Chicago screw for and aft on both sides.

I added a LH Raven claw from a vg2 advanced kit to tuck the butt in a bit more, since I don't have to worry about the front site snagging anymore. I haven't tried a RH claw yet, but I suspect it would end up being too much of a good thing. (NOTE: Raven has said using a claw on the vg3 will eventually over-stress the holster leading to breakage)

Finally (not shown) I stuck a Dr Sholls adhesive heel pad down by the muzzle to help tuck the top of the gun in a little further, again ala the Eidolon.

I've only been using it a few days but so far it's a solid improvement in both comfort and conceal-ability. If anyone has any other suggestion, gotchas or tweaks for me to try I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for sharing!

Ike