VFG’s, AFG’s, and SBR’s

Thought I might take stock of your opinions when it came to vertical and angled fore-grips on short-barreled rifles. I run a modified stubby MagPul VFG (Standard length cut to about 2”) on my 10.5 for a few reasons. Primary use of this rifle is competition, should it matter.

1. Using a modified C-Clamp grip on my support hand, it gives me something for my palm, pinky and ring fingers something to rest against/pull back against.

2. In a hurry, it also acts as a handstop.

3. Depending on the stage, I can also use it as a barricade stop/hook.

That being said, I recently built an 8.5” blackout upper, and discovered that it was almost too short for me. I found myself passing on the VFG in favor of a magwell grip.

I’ve toyed with a few AFG’s, but keep coming back to the VFG that I cut down. Anybody else wind up with a particular setup that they just can't let go of?

Longeye

Established
I really like either the Magpul RVG (for 1913) or the BCM stubby grip (for Keymod). I have tried the chopped VFG's and found that the 2" minus grips leave to many options off the table.

I liked the Tango Down stubby back in the day, but find it too fat now that the RVG is available. Same for the Larue FUG. The KAC VFG was always too skinny for me.

The AFG never did anything for me.

I have long arms and have always prefered 9" and longer rails. This is one of several reasons the VSBR thing has never resonated with me.

Nice to know I'm not alone...the running joke in my group of shooting friends is that I can scratch the back of my knees without bending over. That 8.5" was just too damn short to be comfortable.

MidGuardian

I use the larue VFG but also have a cut down magpul. Larue is just a bit more sturdy, but is twice the weight of the modified magpul. I use the VFG for the same reasons as the OP, with one addition. I've also used an AFG. But when trying to reach my laser switchilogy with the AFG (I don't like pressure pads), my fingers aren't long enough to overcome the height of the AFG, rail, and laser. I would really have to break my support grip to get to the laser. The VFG makes the reach not quite as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe _K

Established
Skip any type of grip, put a grip stop at the very end of the 6 o'clock rail so you don't slide off the end.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Arete

Tried a lot of things on 10.x SBRs (including the AFG) and what works for me is a shorty VFG, which I use as a handstop and to hook on barricades, etc. for stability.

The full length VFGs snag on things and I didn't use the lower 1/2 of them.

Tried a AFG and didn't care for it. It has a place on a AR pistol, though, for legal reasons.

Tried a lot of things on 10.x SBRs (including the AFG) and what works for me is a shorty VFG, which I use as a handstop and to hook on barricades, etc. for stability.

The full length VFGs snag on things and I didn't use the lower 1/2 of them.

Tried a AFG and didn't care for it. It has a place on a AR pistol, though, for legal reasons.
I was about to say this exact same thing. Hated the knights armament full size getting snagged on figuratively everything. Although it works alright on the m4 length quad rail for when you've got a miles laser, peq15, and surefire occupying all your real estate. Other than that, way too long

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rabbit

I tried the AFG with my full length and hated it. Always have used stubby VFGs as a hand stop until i discovered hand stops. My SBR has a TLR mounted at 6 as far forward as it can because I'm required to run backup irons. That serves as a forward reference. IWC hand stop behind that to keep my hand from slipping back. Love that setup.