Vertx Recon Base Layer Jacket Multicam

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
If you are not familiar with the Arcteryx Atom Lt or don’t own one you have probably been living under a rock for several years. The Atom Lt was one of the more affordable jackets offered by the company via standard sales and the LEAF program. At around $160, most people could score one and it was actually a lot of jacket for its price point. It has just been updated a few weeks ago, but it didn’t change much in all that time. It was offered in Black, Gray, Ranger Green, and Crocodile. For a ridiculous sum you could get it in Multicam....maybe. Enter Vertx.

Vertx/Fechheimer have a relationship with Arcteyx that goes back over 10 years. The first item I ever saw was a pair of Phantom Lt pants Pat McNamara was wearing at a training event at Bragg around 2008. It was obvious from the cut Arc designed them. At some point I realized that the Vertx Integrity Base Jacket was a licensed copy of the Atom Lt. Vertx made them in Black, Gray, Green, and I believe some Kryptek patterns. At some point they opted to drop everything but black.

Of course that’s about the time I realized it was the Atom Lt. I scoured the usual places looking for something other than small. I happened to encounter some Vertx folks well in the know at NTOA. I tried to leverage their resources to locate a green one some where to no avail. I wanted an insulated layering jacket in camo for hunting. Beyond , Crye, Arcteryx all had a product but it was between $200 and $500. I had located a Gray Integrity Base so I hit up the Vertx contacts and asked why they could not find a spot in this market with their product but in Multicam? I followed up on this several more times over the following months until one day I was told wait until late summer 18. That came and went and just a month ago I spotted what I was looking for in the Vertx website. No fanfare, no announcement, no Soldier Systems Daily press release. I ordered one right away.

So how does it compare? The cut between the Arcteryx and the Vertx is almost Identical. The color options are obviously different. The Arc has much larger hand pockets. You can reach way up to your chest inside. The Vertx product has large pockets but they don’t extend so high. There is also no Media port in the top of the Vertx. The insides have a sort of Tricot lining. The Arc has a bungee draw string waist that is absent on the Vertx. The insulation is different but in I think a good way. The Arcteryx uses 60g sq/m of Coreloft and the Vertx uses 68g sq/m of Primaloft. Having worn both over very extended times I personally think the Primaloft is warmer. Opinions may vary. The outer shells are different but very similar (Arc is more silky) and all have a DWR finish. Don’t think water resistant, just light rain will bead up and not soak in. The price is obviously very different. You can regularly get 20-30% off codes for Vertx. I paid $127.58 shipped on a MSRP of $169.

What’s the same. Sizing is identical. Zippered hand warmer pockets and interior chest pocket are the same (new Atom Lt moves chest pocket outside). The cuffs both secure with the same spandex wrist material that is only present on the bottom of the wrist. Vertx has added loops as well so that the Recon will zip into their Recon Shell. Both use the same solid color Polartec Power Stretch Hardface material on the sides under the arms. The collars of both are lined with a color matching micro fleece. The overall cut is exactly the same. Both my Arcteryx bought through LEAF and the Vertx Recon Base are made in Malaysia. My Integrity Base was made in Costa Rica. Both use YKK zippers throughout.

There is no other product with this value in this market space. I think Vertx really hit it out of the park with this. If I could ask for anything else it would be a hooded version and color matched Velcro included but not sewn on. The closest competitors with a Multicam option are the Beyond A5 $350, Crye Loft $330, and the Limited edition Arcteryx Atom SV $350. None of these is close to 2-3 times the Jacket. The Vertx Recon Base is an exceptional value that I suggest you jump on now. If you are in a MC uniform and or wear armor this is the cold weather layer you have been looking for. With a thin next to skin layer and medium 1/4 zip base layer I’ve taken this down to 14 degrees at work on the range and remained warm. Vertx even did a good job of choosing fabrics that before well in the NIR spectrum. In the attached photos it’s sitting next to a set of Crye G3 all weather pants. A small detail often overlooked.

Vertx does a really poor job of promoting itself. I have a theory as to why but none the less if folks don’t discover these and jump they may not stick around. Buy with confidence.

I’m sure I will have issues with some Pics but everything else can be seen @oakcitytactics in IG

200CD3F7-D985-403A-8485-3484651DB8E1.jpegDFCD3966-FA68-4366-99EC-84CFB4D6CD93.jpegF4CFDEEA-B09F-479D-9603-5D6A4D4FFB91.jpegAB4DEACF-B84D-48E0-ABA8-BFD4B2350B66.jpeg829191B8-CB31-42DD-A8E9-99C7556AB759.jpeg200CD3F7-D985-403A-8485-3484651DB8E1.jpegDFCD3966-FA68-4366-99EC-84CFB4D6CD93.jpegF4CFDEEA-B09F-479D-9603-5D6A4D4FFB91.jpegAB4DEACF-B84D-48E0-ABA8-BFD4B2350B66.jpeg829191B8-CB31-42DD-A8E9-99C7556AB759.jpeg

scw2

Thanks for sharing. Other than the pattern and country of mfg, are the Recon and Integrity versions the same?

I want to pick one of these up because my guard unit won’t issue us shit in the way of cold weather gear.

I usually wear a medium-long in blouse tops. Would a large in one of these suffice?

Blitzer613

Amateur
I live in the DFW area, so our winters are 20°-55°. What range/training temp and moisture conditions would you recommend this Vertx for? Any conditions it would be horrible for? Generally my winter classes are 40°-55° and more often than not have some moderate to heavy precipitation, outdoor range trips range from 30° and up with some moderate wind. I’m always looking for better winter shooting gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scw2

Came back to share my experience. It works well in the 40s for me if there isn’t high wind, and especially if active. In windier conditions it may be too cold for you. I also haven’t worn it exclusively for an extended period of time in rain without a shell, but for shorter periods or light drizzle it works well. I’d guess the best way would be to have a shell to handle wind and rain is you’ll be training for extended periods.