VERTX EDC Gamut Plus Review

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
https://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2017/02/vertx-edc-gamut-plus.html

Vertx EDC Gamut Plus

I’ve been using this pack for over approximately 1 ¾ of a year so far. It’s been my mostly daily carry/use pack, also hauling lots of stuff on family hikes, trips to the range, travel, etc.

I first was interested in this pack when I was hunting down an easy way to “EDC” a rifle “Every Day Carbine” to quote Victory First. I was looking for a backpack that was big enough to hold a rifle, yet look like a normal backpack while still having space for items in addition to the rifle. The backpack had to look like it belonged in normal daily carry. The backpack needed enough space to have the rifle, as well as items that would make the pack blend in – snacks, water, books, coats, etc. The backpack couldn’t be the size of a 45 liter backpacking pack either. The Vertx Gamut looked like it might fit that role, but the OAL of the Gamut precluded a 10.5” SBR with LAW folder from fitting well, if at all. The Gamut Plus is 24” high, whereas the Gamut is 22” high.

Through Matt Jacques of Victory Group I was fortunate to meet one of the VERTX executives. He was able to provide me with a Gamut Plus to use in my search for a rifle carrying capable pack. I have been using this pack since last summer 2015.

*Cool photo of the Gamut Plus in use from the VERTX facebook page*

The pack has been used to haul the typical “stuff” around, but allows me to easily carry my SBR around without it being obvious what is in there. The layout of the pack allows me to carry a sizeable amount of equipment as well as the rifle. Seen here is the rifle with a OR dry bag showing the size available.

I use this to haul range gear at times, using the beavertail flap to easily strap in a helmet with NOD mount. I can carry a SBR, PVS-14 and Helmet to make transit for range sessions smooth. For someone working in a low profile role where a rifle and night fighting capability are needed, this is an option – use other clothing, yoga mat, etc to cover up the helmet and nobody is the wiser.

This bag will barley fit in a Overhead bin or under the seat in commercial air traffic. When traveling with kids, a large pack you can stuff things into easily to make the transit through security as fast as possible is worth it. This pack size paid off when I flew to take VCQB last year and needed a place to carry my soft armor and JPC. I was able to carry this as a carry on, and despite the increased weight, it worked.

So far the only wear point has been one corner of the drag handle on the pack has come out of the stitching. The movement out of the stiching is less than half the total attachment, not even halfway. The stitching hasn’t torn more since I noticed it last spring, leading me to believe that by now its staying in place and not a concern.

The pack continues to perform well and should be considered if you need a larger day pack or a pack for carrying a rifle.

http://vertx.com/edc-gamut-plus-bag

Harv

I have the same bag. Got it to replace my Kelty MAP3500 for work traveling. I have had it for about 6 months and love it. Fits in all overheads or under seats so I never have to plane side check. The layout is excellent and allows easy access to what I want.
Straps are comfy and low profile. Great bag,

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
An update in reference to the handle tear. Spoke with both VERTX and the designer about the issue. It was an issue they resolved shortly after this pack went to market as it happened on more than one bag. The tweaked how the handle was sewn in and it hasn't reared its head on the line since then.

Bill Assande

Amateur
Nice review! I've been looking hard at both the EDC Gamut and Gamut Plus for a couple of months to replace my Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger. After NRAAM 2015 I finally understood how uncomfortable an overloaded sling pack can become. I'm a notorious gear whore with a 3yr old so the ability to organize everything is a major factor for me. My one personal gripe is the lack of colorways, though Vertx seems to be adding some newer ones slowly.

This may be a topic for another post, and I seem to remember it being covered somewhere... but can you talk about internal organization? Inserts purchased? Additional pouches? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
This may be a topic for another post, and I seem to remember it being covered somewhere... but can you talk about internal organization? Inserts purchased? Additional pouches? Etc.

About a month ago Advanced Holster sent me their Grab N Go panel to try out for that. Currently I'm using it, but before that I didn't use any sort of internal org other than the built in pockets.

ac6e3e6f596e958d79f10bb8600b6435.jpg

45d3732ee681b9b7357bcd0c418f462c.jpg

989517fc3dd2e07d396d2ea401914c69.jpg

1bd00c5af0b9cd104682c82bcfef3dc1.jpg

Last edited:

Fatboy

Established
When you had your soft armor and JPC in the bag, did you have plates in it?

It looks like you have a new Safariland optic holster in your bag there. Any chance of a review on that as well?

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
When you had your soft armor and JPC in the bag, did you have plates in it?

It looks like you have a new Safariland optic holster in your bag there. Any chance of a review on that as well?

Yes plates were in the JPC. It was a crammed bag, but only thanks to poor packing planning.

Yeah we will see about the holster review.