Veritac Solutions SFTP-1, Taber, AB, Canada

WhiskeyDeltaGulf

Staff member
Class: Veritac Solutions SFTP-1, 29-30 May 2021, MD of Taber Sport Shooting Complex

Instructors:
Taylor, a close protection expert and medic with decades of experience in Africa, South America, and CONUS. "Taylor is equally adept and comfortable operating in an Aloha shirt or a Hugo Boss suit."

Jonny, a CAF veteran of Afghanistan with extensive firearms/tactical training outside his military service.

About Me: 30-year CAF (infantry turned medic turned PA) veteran with multiple combat and other operational deployments, ISPC, IDPA, 3Gun, with multiple pistol, carbine, and tactics course. Honestly, since COVID 19, with the lockdowns in Kanada, I have not shot a pistol in 1.5 years.

Course Attendees: An eclectic mix of competition shooters, LEOs, Regular Force CAF, Reserve CAF and just dudes.

Round Count: I went through 800 9mm rounds. Recommend bringing more to take advantage of coaching.

Facilities: MD of Taber Sport Shooting Complex is a phenomenal facility with 600m, 200m, 100m, 50m, Pistol, Shotgun, 5 Action Bays, and Archery. It is extremely well groomed and well cared for.

“An old dog can learn new tricks.”

I specifically listened to the advice of the senior instructor: Taylor. I did not dry fire or dry practice prior to the course. So that, I could attempt the course without reinforcing training scars. As an experienced shooter and combatant, I approached the course like a blank slate with an open mind and my mouth shut. During social times during breaks, I did proffer advice within my lane when requested.

SFTP-1 is primarily a fundamentals course that trains the shooter to be able to self diagnose their errors and how to improve upon that with combination of dry fire and live practices. Veritac standards are shot at the beginning of the day and, at the end of the day, to demonstrate to the shooters their improvement and areas to work on. At the end of each day, a detailed debrief was conducted with personal recommendations for areas of improvement. Everyone shot better by the end of the course.

“Don’t make things Weird.”

Primarily, I have been trained in a dynamic, cookie cutter, early 2000’s approach that has worked through multiple TICs and incidences that I have had to use my weapon. The Veritac approach is one of simple biomechanics and physics; rather than stiff, robotic responses. A natural, relaxed approach to shooting with 100% round accountability within an operational context with feedback provided by the experienced instructors.

On multiple other courses, I remember feeling sore and stiff from fighting recoil and driving the gun hard. After this course, I am tired from the 5-hour drive home and getting sun-fucked in the Alberta climate. Yes, I drank lots of water and used sunscreen.

I highly recommend this course. Highly!!!

Sustain:

• Open minded, jovial, peer-based attitude
  • Use of sunscreen. “I don't know much about this Cable fella, but I guarantee you he hasn't killed as many people as melanoma has.” Peter, DeadPool 2, 2018
  • 6Ps. My Glock 17 shit-the-bed in the early morning of Day 1. I was prepared and ran the rest of the course with a stock G48 AIWB. This worked out to my advantage as the instructors were well versed with AIWB and corrected me on training scars (sic: re-holstering). This will be incorporated into future dry training.
  • There is no THE WAY.
Improve:
  • Dry practice with new techniques
  • Use video to critique performance.
  • Bring more ammo to take advantage of personal coaching.
  • Wear a bandana reversed to reduce sun exposure.
  • Pre-hydrate
I will be taking this course over again and taking future ‘advanced’ courses. In fact, I have recommended this course to peers and my GF will likely take it, so that I do not give her any training scars.