Velocity Systems Scarab LE

fellfox

Here's a review for the LE I put together, I'll add some pics of the setup tomorrow when I've got a little more time.

For background I'm a Border Patrol agent in Texas, and have been using the LE for a couple months now. In regards to heat this thing is leaps and bounds better than our old kevlar outer carriers. Having mesh on the cummerbund and on the inside of the carrier allows for so much more breathability. Even in the heat wave we've been experiencing it's not been unbearable to have this on. The shoulder straps are comfortable considering their small profile. I'm running a radio pouch and vertical trauma kit on either cummerbund and still have pretty good range of motion in my arms.

So I've got a few things that would make this absolutely perfect in my mind. 1. a factory option for something like the arbor arms buckle or first spear tubes. 2. I would like to see a hybrid of the LE/LT where a back panel has both the drag handle and zip-on panel ability. It would be nice to quickly zip on a hydration bladder and have the drag handle still available specifically for law enforcement. 3. the d-rings for the shoulder straps are noisy when the carrier has some weight on it. This is really specific in that when we are setup to apprehend subjects in the field, I'm looking to minimize any noise source. I've just been using some candle wax to silence them and that has worked well in case anyone is looking for a solution. 4. last on the list would be an OD green option. I know that's dated but it's a lot closer match to our uniform and possibly to some other agencies stateside.

The LE is great, the things I listed are really just preferences. If your on the fence about purchasing just get it, you won't regret it.

Wake27

Velocity will do custom work if you email them. I was part of a small group buy on another forum for a custom Scarab that nixed the kangaroo pocket. Send me a PM if you want a POC to try and find some other buyers. The Scarab is without a doubt the most comfortable plate carrier I have ever worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fellfox

Velocity will do custom work if you email them. I was part of a small group buy on another forum for a custom Scarab that nixed the kangaroo pocket. Send me a PM if you want a POC to try and find some other buyers. The Scarab is without a doubt the most comfortable plate carrier I have ever worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate it, I just might take you up on that in the future. I'm gonna run this one for a while until I get called out on the non-uniformity haha.

Tropleo

I have a scarab Lt that I turned into pretty much what you described. It comes with zip on capability, i added a spiritus systems recovery handle, and use the arbor arms cummerbunds. I also had velocity sew on molle to the front loop velcro panel which they did for no additional charge.

Wake27

Not sure if anyone else has the same issue, but one of my few complaints with my custom Scarab is the lack of cable/hose management on the shoulders. The pads on my APC stretch enough that its easy to run a camelback hose through, but the Scarab pads are too tight. I had Velocity make me a set with loops sewn in, like the harnesses for their chest rigs. Turn around was 2-3 days, I'll post a pic when I get them.

fellfox

kit.jpg
Way overdo but here is my setup currently. I got the arbor arms cummerbund recently and I'm definitely digging it. The carrier is the Scarab lt with issued hesco lv iii's. Mounted on the vest is a NAR advanced eagle ifak, taser x2 in the issued blackhawk holster using a bawidamann pup setup to mate to the molle, 5.11 radio holster on the inside of the cummerbund with my service radio inside, a streamlight pen light with a red filter in the and trauma shears in the kangaroo pouch, and I rigged up a surveillance mic and earpiece on the outside. On the belt I have a firstlight torq nv, kywi triple mag holder, cuff pouch with s&w 100's, 26"asp, gerber diesel, hk p2000 with a streamlight tlr-1 hl riding in a safariland light bearing holster, a key keeper, and I replaced the belt buckle with a 2" cobra buckle. Not pictured gear I keep in my pants are my badge and creds, a benchmade triage, a spare cat tourniquet, small notebook, pig delta gloves, and a St. Michael's pendant.

Compared to alot of other guys in BP I'm definitely in the gear queer spectrum, but I'd rather be that dude who can wear my armor and be comfortable.