Vehicle Loadout

Crabtreep

I am new here as far as posting, but have lurking for a good while. I work in our capital city about 60 miles from my house. I live in a neighborhood in a very rural area. (I sit on my porch and listen to cows and donkeys). So my main concern is getting home. I figure I will drive as far as absolutely possible in the event of an emergency. So if I have to bail out of my truck I would have encountered the “bad stuff”. My current loadout is listed below.
- Glock 45 w/ RMR (in truck)
- Glock 26 my ccw
- Keltec sub 2000 (it uses the same mags as my handgun also replaced my AR. I did not think it was a good idea to throw around 5.56 in an urban setting)

My question is I am looking for what I can a Grey Man escape set up. Small pack? Battle Belt? (I don’t like the idea of hiking home with 16 lbs of plates in a carrier) FYI , I did think of putting the AR back in.

The reason for this question is times are changing situations are changing. When the riots started last summer I realized my setup would have to change. The grey man approach seems way more important, as you may have to travel through a lot of people and you don’t know who is the enemy.

thank you in advance

22F

Staff member
Good question mate.
I don’t envy such a distance to get home.

First off, I’ve moved this topic to the Preparedness area. I feel it’s more relevant there, because this a fairly wide ranging topic.

Second thing to consider is your risk assessment and planning factors. You’ve already started on your risk assessment, by mentioning your response to threat levels. Next big items to think about: weather, terrain and routes home.

Third item:
Alternate routes and planning associated with that.

For my experience and background, my basic assumptions are that I’m going to be walking from the get-go. Every mile you cover via truck is a bonus.
So, by that assessment, I would be looking at something like a 3-day pack or small/medium hiking pack, depending upon weather.
That should be large enough to store everything you need to get home.
This includes weapons, first aid (something you didn’t mention in your post), a little bit of water (I assume you can forage along the way), some food, and clothing (cold weather clothing and a basic set of shirt/pants/boots to change into out of work attire).

pointblank4445

Established
I am new here as far as posting, but have lurking for a good while. I work in our capital city about 60 miles from my house. I live in a neighborhood in a very rural area. (I sit on my porch and listen to cows and donkeys). So my main concern is getting home. I figure I will drive as far as absolutely possible in the event of an emergency. So if I have to bail out of my truck I would have encountered the “bad stuff”. My current loadout is listed below.
- Glock 45 w/ RMR (in truck)
- Glock 26 my ccw
- Keltec sub 2000 (it uses the same mags as my handgun also replaced my AR. I did not think it was a good idea to throw around 5.56 in an urban setting)

My question is I am looking for what I can a Grey Man escape set up. Small pack? Battle Belt? (I don’t like the idea of hiking home with 16 lbs of plates in a carrier) FYI , I did think of putting the AR back in.

The reason for this question is times are changing situations are changing. When the riots started last summer I realized my setup would have to change. The grey man approach seems way more important, as you may have to travel through a lot of people and you don’t know who is the enemy.

thank you in advance

I'm not really one to indulge deeply into ridiculous prepper fantasies but just wanted to add $0.02 from a certain perspective

As stated, extra tools/clothes/sustenance should be a no-brainer.

Not knowing your state/AO in question, what's the BMV (vehicle burglary) look like in your areas? Do you have a secure garage/port or is your vehicle left outside year round? In other words: How much is the risk of loss/theft of your kit vs. the probability of use? Theft aside, do you live in a cold/harsh environment that may kill the battery in that RMR in your truck?

Instead of a G45 stashed in the truck and a G26...why not just go with a rmr'd G19 as your carry? Your carry footprint barely changes and you now reduce the risk of aforementioned theft/failure.

One thing that always concerns me is people's lack of knowledge of geography. Have a hard map. If you've lived in a particular are for any given time you should know:
What are the problem areas for flooding?
Who maintains which roads for snow/ice removal and in what order?
What are the high-crime areas or areas where your personal demographic's mere presence isn't welcome?
What are my alternate/indirect routes home?
@22F addressed this but I want to just second it.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Throwing around 556 is a more effective and potentially "safer" option than duty caliber pistol rounds. Pistol rounds are less effective on people and over pentrate drastically compared to certain common 556.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Watching the I95 snow mess today, this is the second time I've seen this even occur and it just reinforces to me that this or the Colorado wild fires are more likely scenarios that we might face than one we need to shoot our way out of. Although not as cool, reading up on tips from Field Craft Survival or Field Craft Mobility might be more useful. The likely scenario is always going to be environmentally based, not necessarily socially.

pointblank4445

Established
Watching the I95 snow mess today, this is the second time I've seen this even occur and it just reinforces to me that this or the Colorado wild fires are more likely scenarios that we might face than one we need to shoot our way out of. Although not as cool, reading up on tips from Field Craft Survival or Field Craft Mobility might be more useful. The likely scenario is always going to be environmentally based, not necessarily socially.
Yep, noted in posts #2 and #3 well ahead of this incident.