Vehicle based Gunfighting

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Cross over from the BookFace page:

We have several SME's on vehicle based gunfighting here.

Vehicle based gunfighting. Guns, ammo, how to shoot, etc.

No SME, but I would contend that this is the LEAST trained area for LEO's considering that they spend the majority of their time in and around vehicles. I worked as a COP for 8 years before I finally got to shoot into and out of auto glass, and that was at a Graham Combat rifle/pistol course I paid for myself. A massive eye opener for me. I try to integrate some work around vehicles into the department firearms classes I teach.

WayneF

After being read into and tracking the details of every OIS in my state over the last decade, it is painfully obvious that this is a skill set that needs to be trained to.

Not just bailing out of cars or running "highspeed" drills. Simply a demonstration of things such as how rounds perform when striking an intermediate barrier. After a couple years of running vehicle based classes, we hear at least one LE or .mil guy upset that he had worked 5-10-15 years without this kind of training.

Over the past few years we have seen a number of cases of suspects using vehicles as a weapon against officers, going for guns while inside of cars, and one sheriff ambushed and killed in his car while eating lunch. Not one of the officers I spoke to after the shooter had any idea what was going to happen when his rounds impacted body panels or glass. The folks picking out ammo also do not tend to look at these topics and instead focus on limited penetration due to liability concerns of over penetration.

Detmongo

Amateur
Hey guys if you want you can look up Will Petty and Steve Fisher. They have a great course relateing to this very subject. My team had them come to NY a few weeks ago and we learned a ton of stuff form that class that we are already teaching our guys.

Curt

Amateur
I have some video some where in my stuff of some vehicle takedown stuff we did in 2006-ish using a "marionette" to work the "shoot/don't shoot" piece. This was for my SWAT guys. We work with Chase at Talon Defense providing IG support for his Gunfighter Course which focuses on the car fight. This subject should be a requirement at all LE agencies.

KUTF

If you're going to get a few junker cars and work vehicle-based stuff, get/build a 3D box target, especially if you're training vehicle assaults or UC rescue; it will give you a better idea of the trajectory of your rounds over a 2D paper target. It also allows you to work targeting/engagements from various angles that a flat piece of paper won't allow.

Oh, and make sure the gas tank is totally empty before you zap targets in the backseat.....

WayneF

And know if that you are having students in the front shoot a target in the backseat, you are going to quickly get a flat tire on the car that you intended on keeping mobile.

Steve F

Sentinel Concepts
If you're going to get a few junker cars and work vehicle-based stuff, get/build a 3D box target, especially if you're training vehicle assaults or UC rescue; it will give you a better idea of the trajectory of your rounds over a 2D paper target. It also allows you to work targeting/engagements from various angles that a flat piece of paper won't allow.

Oh, and make sure the gas tank is totally empty before you zap targets in the backseat.....

We actually use IDTS(id target systems ) 3d torsos targets

Chappy

LMS Defense
Happy to chat about this but it belongs in the LE area.

@Lane C is the best in the world at LE vehicle fighting work. Will Petty is great, as is Yeti.

It's of of the 3 most important but under trained technique sets in police gunfighting.

Steve F

Sentinel Concepts
haven't met lane, so i cant comment I'm sure he is good if you guys say so i can only go by the reviews of others whom have taken several other vehicle classes that are current out there so excuse me for not knowing of Lane C

Chappy

LMS Defense
Steve, Lane doesn't teach much outside of a small circle out here in the West. He's pretty ID sensitive. Not sure if that will change with retirement.

And all I can hear in my head is Steve Martin from Saturday night live "Well excuuuuuuse me!" lol

Guz45

William Petty is an outstanding Instructor with vast information of vehicle applications and a practical knowledge with drills. Worth every dime of my money.

PM07

Staff member
If you ever get in the Alabama area, check out Chase at Talon Defense. He does a great vehicle orientated class, Gunfighter. Its a bear.