Varusteleka Level 4 Recon Smock

Tore Haugli

Staff member
Initial impressions of the Varusteleka Särmä L4 Recon Smock

My overall impression is that it is a solid piece of kit, with well thought out features. It makes for a very good outer layer in dry environments, and very good for roles where you want to carry kit on your body for prolonged field conditions. It is probably not the best garment to be combined with body armor worn on top, due to all the pockets and loose fit.

pmKbwiGDj

Sizing, fit and overall makeup

I used the measurements given on their website, and decided on the Large Regular size. I am on the smaller end of the chest circumference scale, at 102cm (40”), and feel that the sizing was spot on for me. It is not too loose, but still room for putting on layers underneath. Arms were a good length in this size for me as well, not too long, and not short.

As for the overall makeup of the garment, materials feel solid with the main fabric being a 200g/m2 type rip stop, with the inner liner being a black mesh fabric. This mesh fabric serves a dual role as internal pockets as well. Stitching is good and accessories are of good quality. The only thing to address here is that there were some loose threads, mostly on buttons and hook/loop patches, which ideally should be cut to prevent stitches from pulling out if threads are tugged at or otherwise disrupted.

pnm6G6IAj

Features

I’ll go over all the features, starting from top to bottom.

Hood:

The smock features a roomy hood, that fits over a helmet. The hood has channeled shock cord, with cord locks, that allow you to cinch the hood down around your face to protect from bad weather and wind. It also cinches down in the back, to pull the sides of the hood away from your face to improve field of view to the sides. You can also cinch down the collar area of the smock for better protection against bad weather. The shock cord on the rear should ideally be inside a channel for reducing snag hazards. The front cord locks should ideally be on the outside of the hood, for ease of adjustment and to avoid the cord locks rubbing against your face.

The hood does have a visor, but ideally should have a piece of copper wire or similar in the front to help with shaping the hood.

pnMoATyvj

pn4k6AtLj

pogr3BnIj

pmjPCA5vj

pnuUzMu5j

pnXvZOY1j

pmDMw67Qj

Front closure:

The front of the smock features a full-length zipper closure, using an OPTI zipper. It also has a storm flap that goes almost all the way up the front, that closes with slotted buttons. The utility of this is that you can close the front of the jacket using only the buttons to allow for better ventilation. Using the zipper provides more protection during windy conditions. Using both protects well against snow. I would have preferred a full-length storm flap, but by no means a deal breaker on this smock.

poBP2ATvj

Sleeves:

The sleeves feature arm pockets that are angled for easier access. The pockets have a double closure, with both hook/loop and slotted button. Does not come with silencer. Pockets are bellowed for more space. Two strips of Velcro run down the pocket for attaching patches, flags etc.

The elbows are reinforced with a more durable fabric and includes internal pockets for elbow pads.

The wrists have hook and loop for adjustment.

The smock has zippers in the armpits for ventilation.

pmPVTIYjj

pmz0ULqvj

Chest pockets:

The smock has two bellowed chest pockets, that closes with a slotted button and flap. The pocket also has a snow flap, meaning that the front of the pocket is taller and folds over to protect contents, hindering debris from getting in. Each pocket also has an internal pocket underneath, made with the mesh liner. These are accessed via zippers that face the front of the jacket. Zippers are pulled up to open, and down to close. The main advantage of this is that you get more force when you close the zipper, but on the downside you risk losing items if not being careful to close the zipper all the way down.

pnEH83lkj

pnQG3PFSj

Hip pockets:

The smock has two bellowed hip pockets, that closes with two slotted buttons. The pocket also has a snow flap, meaning that the front of the pocket is taller and folds over to protect contents, hindering debris from getting in. Each pocket also has an internal pocket underneath, made with the mesh liner. These are accessed via zippers that face the rear of the jacket, so these can work well as hand warmer pockets. Zippers are pulled up to open, and down to close. The main advantage of this is that you get more force when you close the zipper, but on the downside you risk losing items if not being careful to close the zipper all the way down.

pm1Zd81aj

po6liKa0j

Rear pockets:

The smock has a large bellowed rear pocket, that closes with three slotted buttons. This pocket comes with dividers included, that are attached via hook/loop. The pocket also has a snow flap, meaning that the front of the pocket is taller and folds over to protect contents, hindering debris from getting in. This pocket also has an internal pocket underneath, accessed from either side through a zipper closure. Zippers are pulled up to open, and down to close. The main advantage of this is that you get more force when you close the zipper, but on the downside you risk losing items if not being careful to close the zipper all the way down, although not as big of a risk with this pocket.

pojhqknDj

poOeKEMEj

por5T3Kxj

A big advantage having mesh inner pockets is that you can keep items in there that need to dry, and your body heat will help the process along.

Adjustments:

The smock comes with two possibilities for adjustment; the waist and the hem. The waist adjustment is quite innovative, using a method I have never seen before. It uses a 1” elastic band with button holes in it, and you stretch it to the desired length and attach to the fixed button. Garments like these usually use shock cord and a cord lock.

The hem uses shock cord and cord locks for adjustment, and the adjustment is made from the front.

poHBhEEaj

pojcDlTrj

Reactions: 22F