US CBP awards duty pistol contract to Glock, including new G47

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
23B5715C-F63E-440B-8878-F7B356FD6010.jpeg

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...rotection-adopts-the-brand-new-glock-g47-9mm/

U.S. Customs and Border Protection awarded a contract to Glock Inc. today to provide CBP law enforcement personnel the next generation standard duty handgun.

The contract is for up to $85 million over 10 years, which includes other DHS law enforcement components that have the option to purchase duty handguns through the contract.

CBP’s Law Enforcement Safety and Compliance Directorate led the extensive solicitation process to replace CBP’s current duty handgun.

“This contract provides CBP law enforcement personnel the latest in handgun technology and represents our commitment to providing the highest quality use-of-force tools and equipment to our law enforcement personnel who defend America’s frontline every day,” said Deputy Commissioner Robert E. Perez.

The solicitation process included independent performance testing by the National Institute of Justice laboratories, direct input from over 16,000 CBP law enforcement personnel and extensive field evaluations.

With the award of this contract, CBP intends to transition all law enforcement personnel from the current .40 pistol to a 9mm pistol by the end of Fiscal Year 2021.

The G47 appears to be a G45 frame with a 19L MOS slide and barrel, utilizing a G19 recoil spring assembly. Which makes it possible to swap to a G19/G45 length slide on the same gun.

CB6F15AC-64E7-4C2C-8B73-634B3A687352.jpeg

Unclear if or when Glock intends to release the G47 on the commercial market, but my guess is they will...

Erik

Amateur
I get the 43x and 48 but don't really get this. I guess I am missing something, or Glock is spending alot of time in the parts bins.

David Mayeur

From what I've heard, it uses a:

Glock 45 Frame (17 length grip & 19 length dust cover)
Glock 17 Length Slide (with an extended dust cover similar to a 17L and 34 slide)
Glock 19 Length RSA

Since they are purchasing the G19 and G47 for duty use, I figured they wanted parts compatibility.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Hopefully this becomes the future of Glock; G45 frame as standard with 19,17,34 slides compatible.

This would seem to make the most sense as that’s the direction that their competitors (P320 and M&P2.0, namely) have gone. Greater variability/modularity

dopro587

From what I've heard, it uses a:

Glock 45 Frame (17 length grip & 19 length dust cover)
Glock 17 Length Slide (with an extended dust cover similar to a 17L and 34 slide)
Glock 19 Length RSA

Since they are purchasing the G19 and G47 for duty use, I figured they wanted parts compatibility.

Correct, the CBP Statement of Work stated a preference for the full size and mid size pistols to have cross compatible upper assemblies.

So the 47 slide assembly will fit the 19 frame to make a "19L MOS" and the 19 slide assembly will fit the 47 frame to make a "G45 MOS".

I don't know if they will actually allow agents/officers to configure their duty pistols in 19L or G45 configurations, but potentially agents could have 4 configurations to choose from.

David Mayeur

Correct, the CBP Statement of Work stated a preference for the full size and mid size pistols to have cross compatible upper assemblies.

So the 47 slide assembly will fit the 19 frame to make a "19L MOS" and the 19 slide assembly will fit the 47 frame to make a "G45 MOS".

I don't know if they will actually allow agents/officers to configure their duty pistols in 19L or G45 configurations, but potentially agents could have 4 configurations to choose from.

I can only assume that Glock took the opportunity to use an agency contract to finally allow them to make a 19L without having to spend their own funding to make a 47 type slide.

I am a firm believer in that being the reason we have a 43X. I believe they were intending on making the 48 with a 43 compatible slide, so it would only make sense to put the 43 slide on a 48 frame and sell it as another gun.

Nowski

Interesting.

Frankly, I'd really like to see a G26MOS also.

Why not just have a 26 slide milled? The MOS system isn’t great to begin with and how many times are you going to switch out your optic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LigerNoir

Amateur
Since reading my email that we are going w/ Glock (which I'm not happy about, but that's my problem), I'm failing to understand why not just go w/ a 45 instead of the 47, OR JUST go with the 45. If this is for logistical reasons, a 19/45 solves that issue to include the slide and barrel. If we just went w/ a 45, that would solve the magazine issue too. I'm personally grateful they didn't go straight 19 b/c my hand's too big for the 19 w/o a pinky extender (like the current P2000).

I would also like to know why suppressor height sights weren't added if adding a red dot was such a big part of this solicitation.

I often talk to management about use of funds in the wrong places, this is one of those places.

OFO is also likely going to get screwed the issue of RDS and Lights.

:mad:

dopro587

Since reading my email that we are going w/ Glock (which I'm not happy about, but that's my problem), I'm failing to understand why not just go w/ a 45 instead of the 47, OR JUST go with the 45. If this is for logistical reasons, a 19/45 solves that issue to include the slide and barrel. If we just went w/ a 45, that would solve the magazine issue too. I'm personally grateful they didn't go straight 19 b/c my hand's too big for the 19 w/o a pinky extender (like the current P2000).

I would also like to know why suppressor height sights weren't added if adding a red dot was such a big part of this solicitation.

I often talk to management about use of funds in the wrong places, this is one of those places.

OFO is also likely going to get screwed the issue of RDS and Lights.

:mad:

My understanding was there would be two pistol sizes to choose from, a mid size for those who want something more easily concealable but still duty capable, and a full size for the rest who prefer a larger gun for duty.

I agree a G45 & G19 combo would have worked for us, but the field survey that the statement of work was based on showed many agents wanted a full size gun, not a crossover.

As to the sights, I would guess RDS will be an option for those who want them, and probably won’t be available to the rank and file for some time, at least not unless they allow individual purchase. Since the statement of work mentions taller sights, those will be available from the firearms department.

I am just guessing what the logical progression will be, and I may be disappointed. However of late I have been impressed with the direction the folks in Force Modernization at Harpers Ferry have been taking us.

TheTick

Safariland Rep: And how many 6360RDS holsters will you be needing, sir?

USCBP Boss: All of them.

And now no one can get 6360RDS holsters in a timely manner...

lol