Upcoming Holosun HE509T - Enclosed emitter, tube-style titanium pistol optic

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
0E799F25-72FD-4621-9DFB-BCC010EE8662.jpeg

A competitor to the ACRO appears...

https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=96

The new HE509T Micro Red Dot System is based on our famous HS507C, but with an enclosed frame for a great sight picture, clear glass and an incredibly tough Grade 5 Titanium housing. Powered by a 1632 battery which allows the HE509T to operate up to 5 years on a single battery. Equipped with Holosun’s Advanced Solar Fail-safe power engine that gives the HE509T an indefinite run time. Featuring our Multi-reticle system, the user can switch reticles in the HE509T with the push of a button. Packed with features including Holosun's Shake Awake technology and last setting recall.

Features

• Parallax free optical design, with unlimited eye relief
• Fully Enclosed, Nitrogen Filled System
• Shake Awake technology with last setting recall
• Solar cell and high capacity battery provide dual power supplies
• Industry standard footprint for your pistol mounting needs
• CNC machined Titanium housing

The video claims it will have the same footprint/bolt pattern as the 507 (meaning RMR), but all the media I can find of it shows it with an integrated rail clamp. Perhaps two different versions?

Looks interesting. I’ve always liked Holosun’s integration of solar cells into their optics as a backup to dead batteries, and all of the durability tests I’ve seen of the 507 make it seem it’s as tough as much higher priced competitors. I also like that it’s available with your choice of red, green, or amber reticle. The enclosed design really brings something different to the table of pistol dots as well, as it’s my understanding that was a primary source for the hype around the Aimpoint ACRO

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I must admit, this is the first optic I’ve considered having my P320s modified to accept instead of the R1. Enclosed emitter and solar cell backup power is quite enticing...Will have to wait to see durability tests

I must admit, this is the first optic I’ve considered having my P320s modified to accept instead of the R1. Enclosed emitter and solar cell backup power is quite enticing...Will have to wait to see durability tests
I have high hope for durability.
507 survived really well on the Sage dynamic Aaron's torture test.
the person I talked at IWA said they went with titanium housing, not for the lightness but to make it even stronger, so it is heavier than the aluminium version (508 is titanium version of the 507) but this added weight+tiatinium sure will be a tank like optic. also, a sacrificial lens that is recessed will mean even when it gets dropped at an odd angle chance of having that glass shatter will be lower.
And even if it does shatter the function should still be alive as those lenses are a sacrificial lens.

I hope they do ship with an RMR footprint. At these prices it makes if feasible to own a backup sight in the event we do break one. I just picked up a 507C for a Glock project. Haven't mounted it yet, but it seems pretty nice just playing around with it. Time will tell.

user12358

The main problem I see with the ACRO is that people running RMRs can't reuse milled slides. Having an ACRO competitor that uses an RMR footprint sounds like a real winner to me.

KE Arms makes an RMR footprint to ACRO adapter and I have already had hands on one in the wild. It is exactly the same concept as what Holosun is doing here except for you don't have to use ridiculously tall irons like it appears you will have to with the 509T.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
KE Arms makes an RMR footprint to ACRO adapter and I have already had hands on one in the wild. It is exactly the same concept as what Holosun is doing here except for you don't have to use ridiculously tall irons like it appears you will have to with the 509T.

There will be a version of the 509 that is a direct mount to an RMR slide cut, not the integrated rail. Which will be much lower

user12358

There will be a version of the 509 that is a direct mount to an RMR slide cut, not the integrated rail. Which will be much lower

Where are you getting that information? Even the video you linked just says that they are going to be making an RMR footprint to pic rail for the 509 to ride on. The top down screw design of the RMR footprint is not conducive to enclosed emitter designs because you can't access the screws.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Where are you getting that information? Even the video you linked just says that they are going to be making an RMR footprint to pic rail for the 509 to ride on. The top down screw design of the RMR footprint is not conducive to enclosed emitter designs because you can't access the screws.

The comments at 2:32 in the video I included in the first post, the “industry standard footprint” comment in their Features list, as well as PoisonJelly’s very first reply in this thread

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I agree if they only offer it with that ridiculously tall pic-rail mount it would kill it for the pistol market, but according to numerous sources they’re going to offer a direct-mount version

user12358

The comments at 2:32 in the video I included in the first post

He is talking about the RMR to picatinny mount which the Holosun attaches to in the video. The second comment in this thread is talking about how they have been telling people that they are releasing the stand alone optic (Picatinny mount) and shortly after will be releasing the RMR to picatinny mount (read as adapter). The enclosed portion of the optic goes too far back for it to ever natively mount to an RMR footprint without drastically redesigning the optic to allow for screw access.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
He is talking about the RMR to picatinny mount which the Holosun attaches to in the video. The second comment in this thread is talking about how they have been telling people that they are releasing the stand alone optic (Picatinny mount) and shortly after will be releasing the RMR to picatinny mount (read as adapter). The enclosed portion of the optic goes too far back for it to ever natively mount to an RMR footprint without drastically redesigning the optic to allow for screw access.

Hmm...You may actually be correct about that. If that is the case that’s extremely disappointing, and kills it for use on pistols

Joker75

Amateur
It does look like the Holosun optic has more distance between the mounting surface, and the optic window, so I don't doubt that it will be sitting higher than an RMR, as well as the ACRO.

As far as completely discounting the Holosun, because it requires a mounting plate/ adapter, to attach it to a slide milled for an RMR, just realize that the ACRO, requires a very similar mounting plate. It will be interesting to see what the actual difference is, when someone gets their hands on both optics, as well as mounting plates, to give us a side by side comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Default.mp3

Established
Given a fair number of reports of failures of the DPP's Motion Sensor Technology in USPSA, I am leery of Holosun's Shake Awake, and that's something that can only really be teased out over large sample sizes.

user12358

Glad to see Holosun got this optic where it needed to be. Having already broken an ACRO just after 4,000 rounds I am interested to try out the 509T. The 1632 battery will be a massive improvement over the ACRO's 1225, somewhere in the neighborhood of 130 mAh vs 48 mAh before solar even comes into play. Once a month battery changes aren't the end of the world but I will never complain about better battery life and a smaller dot size.

oda175

Yeah- kinda wanted to hear Aaron speak of the battery life/compartment. (Unless I missed it in the video. Have been happy with the 507 I have, works just as well as my RMRs. They only difference I noticed on the 507 is the “Auto- Brightness” adjust function is visibly slower than the RMR.

Ill be getting one of the new 509t s regardless- first foray into trying out a closed emitter systems. Lets see what the street price cones out at.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I believe I read or heard somewhere (in the chaos of information on new releases in the last week) that it still has years of life on the battery alone, but as is the case with all of their optics in any reasonable amount of light the solar panel is capable of powering the optic completely on its own as well. The combination of the two will give you a very, very long time before needing to worry about changing the battery