Uh-oh...Field Gauge...

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
My trusted Mk18 that has ridden with me for years and been pointed at bad guys has just closed on a Field headspace gauge.

I feel like I just lost a friend...

borebrush

Not Pumpkin
It aint the whole gun bro. 20 min and I would have it ready for rezeroing. Its just a milestone.

Whats Odd to me is that it swallowed HS gauges. That was never the issue in my experiance and oir guns were shot on the SOCOM firing schedule. then again I was very proactive with parts replacement, so I never saw HS develop.

On our mk18s, throats were shot out by appx 12,000rds. They got a new upper with new bolt. Rebarreling is an option, but before long you start seeing other things give up the ghost. Time is money and fighting a bbl nut cost us more time more often than not, and we ended up going to a new upper.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
It's been used, but not abused, and its still below a round count where I thought I would be getting to this point. I know I can rebarrel it, but it's going to be on my dime unfortunately.

It's surprising to me also, as I still have accuracy with it and no pressure signs in the brass. I discovered it yesterday by chance as I finished up attending one of Sully's armorer classes.

borebrush

Not Pumpkin
That tells me the throat is still good at this point. However that can change in the next 10 rounds.... Thats another story.

I would swap bolts and see if that reestablishes headspace
... Thats the genious of stoners design. Wear occurs to the bolt lugs, its the sacrificial part. A moderately used gun can easily go through multiple bolts.

Then again, my shop motto is "When in doubt, Swap it out!"

borebrush

Not Pumpkin
My eureka on throat erosion was with a class gun in a BSAC class. The student bzo'd 10rds and knotted it up. Went back to 50 to confirm and his target was covered in hatchet wounds.

His throat was fine until round 11.

Erosion and accuracy cascades. It accelerates quickly. This is why I avoid the ragged edge on LTIs.

We were doing 5thColumn 50yd zeros at 25. (1"low at 25) then walk them back to the 50 to confirm. This was the work around until we could get the formal sign off...

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
LTI?

I was figuring throat erosion would be the eventual end of my barrel instead of the headspace. I'm going to source a bolt and attempt it.