"Turtle" or "heavy" entry vests

Darth Tater

We run the Paraclete Alpha One for traditional SWAT operations. It's amazing mobility and weight compared to the Point Blank turtle vests we had previously. For slicked down stuff we run SOHPCs with the lightweight Paraclete level 3 stand-alone plates.

Cheeseman

Amateur
Ok so took a few more days then expected my bad. let me know if these are what you needed. I'm 5'07 170lbs for reference.

20161108_161914.jpg 20161108_161921.jpg 20161108_161924.jpg 20161108_161929.jpg

Rabbit

We use the Protech fast attack vest on our team. They've been durable and held up really well, but they're bulky as hell. We got all ours custom fitted to us, but even without side plates I have to run a drop holster to get to my pistol without leaning over. I haven't tried the ALS low ride yet though, and plan to. The whole vest is kangaroo pouched, which adds more bulk, though I kind of like it because of how I've adapted my loadout to it, and when you're not adding external pouches, it keeps it slicker and less likely to hang up on things.

I would not call it a bad vest by any means, but I think there are likely better offerings from other companies. I haven't tried any though, so I don't have an informed opinion. The last armor other than concealable I wore was the interceptor and IMTV while in the Marines

Matt117

Amateur
i'm required by department to wear the ballistic collar and bicep protectors on my issued entry vest(tyr venator) but I've been considering adding some of the other scalable armor to my kit. Does anyone have any experience with Tyr Tactical's offerings, particularly their throat, abdominal and groin armor pieces. I have the standard BALCS cut throat and groin issued but the throat is uncomfortable to the point of being useless, and I'm wondering if the try abdominal and groin offerings are worth the upgrade as well. I've done a bunch of searching and i can't find any photos of this stuff in real world use.

On a side note, I'd appreciate hearing everyone's opinions on accessory armor in general and what they run for entry work.

Appreciate any input, Thanks in advance.

Fatboy

Established
i'm required by department to wear the ballistic collar and bicep protectors on my issued entry vest(tyr venator) but I've been considering adding some of the other scalable armor to my kit. Does anyone have any experience with Tyr Tactical's offerings, particularly their throat, abdominal and groin armor pieces. I have the standard BALCS cut throat and groin issued but the throat is uncomfortable to the point of being useless, and I'm wondering if the try abdominal and groin offerings are worth the upgrade as well. I've done a bunch of searching and i can't find any photos of this stuff in real world use.

On a side note, I'd appreciate hearing everyone's opinions on accessory armor in general and what they run for entry work.

Appreciate any input, Thanks in advance.

I run the issue paraclete rmv with soft armor, front and rear plates, pouches, groin flap (adjusted so it doesn't smack my nuts) and neck yoke with Samurai shoulder flaps. I do not run the front neck piece because I have no neck and it interferes with a mask, breathing, etc.

Given the choice (and funds) I would run a plate carrier for less bulk and more comfort, and I would adjust add ons on a job by job basis.

barchack

Amateur
We use the Protech fast attack vest on our team. They've been durable and held up really well, but they're bulky as hell. We got all ours custom fitted to us, but even without side plates I have to run a drop holster to get to my pistol without leaning over. I haven't tried the ALS low ride yet though, and plan to. The whole vest is kangaroo pouched, which adds more bulk, though I kind of like it because of how I've adapted my loadout to it, and when you're not adding external pouches, it keeps it slicker and less likely to hang up on things.
We have the oldest version of the Fast Attack. I agree that it is bulky, but the integrated mag pouches work really well with SKD KYWI inserts. Everyone mounted pouches on the vests, adding a lot of bulk, until we tried the inserts. It allows us to stow mags easily, with very little extra weight.

We also have the Protech plate carriers for woodland ops, and have been training them for most tubular assaults, too. The PC isn’t perfect for those ops, but the bunker vest just doesn’t fit in busses, etc.