TTP for swat teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil_f_20

Good afternoon,

I was wondering do you one have or willing to be be a point of contact from different swat teams I can reach out to? My team is looking to update/consolidate our TTP’s and I’m looking to see what other teams use to see if it will work for my team.

pointblank4445

Established
Yeah, that sounds like a headache/nightmare. Better to figure out why you're doing what you're doing and figuring it out organically (with some guidance of course) than to copy everyone's homework and pickin' what ya like. (Just my 2 cents).

My advice would be to get some of your people into a Blowers course while you still can. See the most recent "No Knock" podcast if you are not certain of who that is or why I might recommend him.

Phil_f_20

Yeah, that sounds like a headache/nightmare. Better to figure out why you're doing what you're doing and figuring it out organically (with some guidance of course) than to copy everyone's homework and pickin' what ya like. (Just my 2 cents).

My advice would be to get some of your people into a Blowers course while you still can. See the most recent "No Knock" podcast if you are not certain of who that is or why I might recommend him.
Yeah it’s gonna be a nightmare but it’s something my team is desperately in the need of updating. Been instructed by my TL’s to take on this task. I appreciate the info though. I have been to blowers HR course and gonna be taking his TL course and his nvg instructor coming up soon.

shoobe01

Established
...Better to figure out why you're doing what you're doing and figuring it out organically (with some guidance of course) than to copy everyone's homework and pickin' what ya like. (Just my 2 cents)...
You will get lots of good specific advice, but as I do lots of system/process design (I write books on design, trust me!) I say this is the right approach. Okay to get other ideas and take some training as it will get you not necessarily new ideas but start making you all challenge what you do...
...and WHY.
The ideal case (and I know this is lots of work!) would be to have someone (ideally not even on the team, but smart enough and versed enough in the principles of police tactical work) literally just watch you, with a camera and notebook, at the next few training cycles, and if plausible even briefings for and real world ops. Watch body cam footage if legally allowed for this purpose, etc. Write it down, organize it into items done repeated and done one or a few times, and then you all talk through WHY you did that. Specifically with some sort of model consistently applied to all of them such as circumstance, resource, outcome.
Whatever the org, imposed processes (or TTPs) take a lot of effort and often do not work as well as analyzing, documenting, and improving on your own.
(Some caveats if you have a known series of bad outcomes, and want to change specifically, but only some).

pointblank4445

Established
@shoobe01
Agree in "the ideal case"...and as you've noted its tons of work. Even for a small team like ours, change just a few TTP's is like turning an aircraft carrier. It's too much for one individual which is why this initial post gives me a lot of pause of "gimmie your TTP's". Our TTP pdf couldn't be emailed if I wanted to...it'd have to be drop boxed or whatever.

What I should have specified by "organic" is to first avoid the pitfalls of the "LAPD SWAT does this...FBI HRT does that" monkey see, monkey do mentality and first taking stock of what the capacity of one's team is and is NOT capable of. So if your team can't afford but a few PVS14's, probably not best to model off a team that's fully NVG capable. Despite similar dynamics of size, budged, op temp I can't say I've ever seen 2 teams even closely matching on TTP's and I am left with the impression that it must be something internally developed (I guess I should have said rather than "organically) with full consideration to fit the team's capabilities in the context of their mission in their AO in mind of the local and national landscape.

shoobe01

Established
Not to keep hijacking this, but I totally use "organic" when talking of process creation as you can do the steps (even if you don't have time/budget for outside people etc) and will find that there's more there than was known to be. It naturally turns from data to formal process often without a change, just documentation.
But yes entirely agree with your examples. Not just "policing is regional" stuff, or even legal standards per state or circuit, but admin preferences and department policy, and very much equipment. To get away from sexy stuff: you can't lift and use ANYONE'S process for joint commo procedures because if you just go 20 miles down the road there's zero similarity in how everyone's radios work and (if they do at all) interoperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.