True Defense Solutions (knife defense training)

JRT6

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this here or in the Ohio section. The company I'm reviewing does travel but it is based in Ohio.

I recently took a free knife defense class hosted by StarkLET which was provided by Wayne Parker who is a police who just started up his own side business: True Defense Solutions. Wayne is also an OPOTA basic peace officer academy commander at Kent State Univ (I work at Kent's Trumbull branch) and teaches a lot of subject control and a complete list is on his web site. This includes the training system he is a part of: Raw Combat. Now I can't comment on any of that but what I can say is I was impressed by his knife defense system.

The class starts off with basic striking and blocking because knife attacks typically are deployed in attack just like strikes. The blocks (checks) are same that I've used in Muay Thai so that was a big plus for me as it shortens the learning curve significantly. Some of the blocks are more from JKD and that did cause me some problems but you go with what you know as almost every block scenario can be used with whatever block technique suits you. The checks and passes are all fundamental silat so this training has been tested in real fights. We only had four hours to train so unfortunately I did not really get anything out of it more than I want I want to train this more. One training seminar in knife defense won't make you anymore able to defend yourself from a knife attack than a short handgun seminar would a gun fight.

What I did get out of this class is a sense of urgency to in becoming proficient in this system of something similar so I can effectively defend myself and teach it to others. Plus it's a new challenge and I'm excited about it. Wayne has a good delivery, is engaging and he is in shape and definitely walks the walk. Wayne explains everything he wants us to do and why with skills all build on one another. The four hours were intense as we really only got about five minutes an hour to rest and there was very little standing around. I made the mistake of going in tired from training hard the whole week so I got fatigued near the end which sucked because my performance went to crap and I started to get stabbed often. When you don't know what to do you do what you and I resorted to clinching a lot, I even scored a takedown on an 8 year wrestler, but needless to say that is exactly what you do not want to do in a knife fight. So I need to train to know what to do and then fatigue will not be a problem.

Wayne teaches a friday class in Kent Ohio for cops and civilians and I will be going to some classes as a drop in student. I highly recommend giving him consideration especially for departments needing use of force training.