Trijicon front sight removal

I picked up a pristine (unissued) LE trade-in G22 a while ago and decided to replace the dim night sights on it with standard sights. Rear sight was easy as usual, but the front sight is connected with what looks like an oval rivet from below the sight (looking inside the slide). I gave it a couple of whacks with a brass punch to see if it would pop out. Bent the punch the and sight did not budge. Any tips on removing this without damaging the slide? Can u give me more info?:(

tylerw02

It’s a hex screw. You need a specialty tool for it. Available from several sources. I prefer the Dawson tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointblank4445

Established
"oval rivet"?

Sounds like it could be one of the old pin/wedge or staked front sights...these preceded the aforementioned hex screw.
If that's the case...
Staked: use pliers and push the flared out material in and the sight will work loose
Pinned: try to remove the pin and the front sight should come off

MPer15

Amateur
"oval rivet"?

Sounds like it could be one of the old pin/wedge or staked front sights...these preceded the aforementioned hex screw.
If that's the case...
Staked: use pliers and push the flared out material in and the sight will work loose
Pinned: try to remove the pin and the front sight should come off
This is a really good point that I didn't consider. Definitely look into this too OP.