TQs

ptrlcop

Established
What is your preferred TQ and why? I have taken to the practice of carrying both SOF-W and CATs because it's a little easier for me to self apply the CAT and it also seems to work a little easier on small appendages(kids). Am I dicked up because I now need to know how to work 2 different TQs under stress?

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I prefer the SOFTT-W; I've personally broken 3 brand new mil-issued CATs in training, and it's hard for me to trust them anymore. The SOFTT-W has all-metal hardware, and I haven't seen (or heard of) one break yet

- Jake

TJ208

I run the RAT it's cool I guess but not really big enought to go high on my leg. I was running the SOFTT-W but it's all metal hardware was destroying my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ephraim R.

I prefer the SOFTT-W as well, however I dont have a problem and still use and have many CATs. Ive seen an old one fail in training, but that was a very old and abused one. I have not seen any of the newer ones bust or fail when needed. At the frequency of use downrange after the build material was changed, I have positive faith that the CATs work and work well.

I have a few RATs that I have been getting use to. Not sure yet, but I will give them a fair shake.

I have attached some good info on the use and evaluation of TQ's on the battlefield. This is some of the data I refereed to above in regard to CATs. No reason not to trust them. With that being said, there is also data out there that points to TQs (CATs specifically) being damaged by exposure to the elements and thus possibly susceptible to breakage. I recommend carrying your TQ in a covered pouch if possible. If not, do as you should be doing to all your other kit, check and re-check. Its good to run these serious life saving devices on a replacement/inspection schedule if you're not already. Saving your life takes precedence.

Do your research to see what one best fits your needs and if that one actually works.

Check my attachments for some good information that is checked and verified. Science.

Attachments

• Tq Analysis.pdf
    760.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Tq Breakage.pdf
    557.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Ephraim R.

I run the RAT it's cool I guess but not really big enought to go high on my leg. I was running the SOFTT-W but it's all metal hardware was destroying my pants.

How was it destroying your pants? As in from carrying it around in your pocket or with training use?

TJ208

The texture on the metal hardware was destroying my pockets. The RAT is was easier to carry but if I get hit in the leg I don't know how much I trust it.

Bronson

Fury
The SOP we developed includes CAT's and SOFT-TW's.

While this does mean increased training time for both types and Hick's Law is in effect, I feel the juice is worth the squeeze because of differences between TQ types and application for Self-Aid / Buddy Aid.

CAT's are designated for arm injuries, and specifically for Self-Aid. SOP is to to carry a CAT in each shoulder pocket.

CAT is set up specifically for Self-Aid one-handed application to the arm. It is routed through one loop with a 10-12" tail folded back for a pull tab. It is folded with the pull tab separating Velcro layers so it does not bind on itself when extracted.

SOFT-TW's are carried in an IFAK and fully enclosed pouches on kit. SOP is one SOFT-TW carried high on the chest of the PC and one in IFAK, though I prefer 2 in fully enclosed pouches on a PC as it's faster to access than opening up an IFAK.

SOFT-TW's are dedicated leg injury TQ's. They are carried looped with ample room to slide over a leg or amputated limb.

Most Deadly Extremity Injury (non-amputation) is a femoral artery sever / bleed. For Self-Aid, the time standard for applying a TQ is 15 seconds. There's an excellent video of a dude taking an AK round to the leg and being combat ineffective in just 17 seconds.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
I've got a few years of practical experience carrying and applying CATs in combat. They work well for what they are designed to do. I've never broken one with proper application. I was pretty fastidious about ensuring I had fresh CATs (unwrapped, but unexposed to the environment) to use. I also carried the SOFT-T (before the W) and applied it occasionally. I like the design of the wide version but haven't been able to apply it to a real live sick person. I've used the MAT in training and think it has an over complicated internal mechanism. I've used the SWAT-T in training and like that it is small and has multiple uses as a piece of medical gear. Again, I've never had an opportunity to apply it to a real patient. I've read the research for and against it (I think that I would be hard-pressed to achieve 1000 mmHg of occlusion pressure *get it? hard-pressed?*) and I still carry one in my pack in addition to a CAT.

As far as tourniquet application goes, I like to put out three rules:
1. Using a piece of equipment with which you are comfortable is much better than a piece of equipment with which you are unfamiliar.
2. Using a commercially manufactured device is much better than having to improvise something when time is critical
3. Improvising a solution is much better than doing nothing.

The practical application of all this is that you should find something that works for you and integrate it into your "process", whatever that might be. Medical providers should always be keeping abreast of breakthroughs in technology and the science of medicine, but don't jump from wagon to wagon without a compelling reason. I still use CATs because I've trained with them, I've taken them to battle and saved lives with them, I know I can apply a CAT effectively in seconds, I know they are readily available to me, and I trust what have learned and have experienced. I've started carrying a SWAT-T because I would like to learn more about it, but I certainly haven't abandoned my tried-and-true. The same might go for someone who has only worked with a SOFT-TW. There is nothing wrong with that.

M Atwood

Vendor
I've got a mixture of CAT's and SOFTT-W's in my gear; I have faith in them both, but I will say all the CAT's I use are inside bags (unexposed to UV) and not knocked around a lot (i.e. in my car bag, in my home aid kits). I EDC a SOFTT-W, and that's my recommended TQ for carry typically.
I also have a SWAT-T or two in almost everything except my pocket. I've got a kiddo, and most of my social circle do as well, so I want something on hand that can be used on smaller limbs (and I kind of loathe the TK4/TK4L).

I also have a RATS now, and am curious about it. I don't have large thighs (24") and can get at best 3 wraps, which if even against one another makes for 1.5" sure, but two things tend to happen: The wraps slide up onto one another, making for a sub 1" width, or they end up (at speed-of-life application) spaced farther apart than I am comfortable with (two or three .5" TQ's sounds like an awful idea to me...). I wonder how folks with larger legs would fare with the device. As there is no really scientific third party data, and no field/lab data that is available, I am holding off on considering the RATS for any kind of use. If data comes around painting a favorable picture of them, I may reconsider, but I imagine the issues I mention above will still give me pause. We shall see. I am not gonna "see" on myself or someone who needs a TQ though. I can carry a SOFTT-W in almost the same amount of space, and I know absolutely what I am getting there.

Rootbeer

Amateur
I pretty much stick to the CAT tourniquet as my preferred tourniquet. Like Max D, I have a bit of practical experience applying and re-assessing multiple tourniquets on patients. I have broken a CAT on someone before, but it was also previously opened and I have no idea how much it was abused. I've played with, trained on and used the SOF-T and SOF-TW but am not a fan. I can appreciate the metal windlass, but am not a fan of the set screw or windlass clasps. I've played with multiple tourniquets, many of which I forget their names. I've seen the "Ranger Ratchet" which has a 99.9% success rate (will find supporting documentation somewhere in my pile of medical stuff). SOF-T, SOF-TW, NATO TQ, some roller blade strap looking one, BP cuff style, CroC, JETT, Elastic Tourniquets, RATS, Belts, Speakerwire, I've seen a lot. I just stick to the CAT, applied correctly should have no issue. During training I am lucky to get more than half a turn before someone complains it is too tight.

One product I can't really get behind in the "RATS" tourniquet. I had made a post on another forum before about it but am admitting to laziness and not searching for it. I understand the idea behind it, the USMC attempted a tourniquet similar with a hook connected to a elastic material. Singapore medics also use a similar design, except theirs is thicker and wider. I feel it has the same type of application that an ace wrap has. I just don't think it is a great tourniquet. Better than nothing, but not what I would want my life to depend on.

I don't EDC any type of medical gear on my person besides chapstick when I am stateside, so maybe I am among the few oddball medical providers.