Tourniquet Carry option for duty/war belt.

This is my method for keeping my CAT tourniquet on my LE duty belt, near my center line and accessible with both hands. I carry an X2 now, but previously I had this same setup on my X26 holster. A Blue Force Gear TQT Now!, a couple holes drilled and some screws and backers and I'm good to go. Very secure in fights and foot chases and doesn't need to be stowed in a cargo pocket.

Also, it might appear that it interferes with the retention hood, it does not.

a438c3b1769ece80ab29d871b8c2813c.jpg

ec0efe0c8a779a723d779988e3653cfc.jpg

ptrlcop

Established
We are issued the eleven10 gear TQ pouches which are decent but take up belt space. I like your solution but would prefer an enclosed pouch to protect the tq a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I use the First Spear TQ pouch mated to a Missing Link adapter. I carry a CAT due to the area Medical and LE training on TQ only being on the CAT.
c3e4821294222031f846ac16b06ada96.jpg

JB3

Amateur
I carry two CATs and a pocket DARK in my cargo pocket. I will definitely be messing around with your set up.

Bronson

Fury
That's a pretty slick solution.

LEO's face a difficult time with TQ placement solely due to how much equipment they have on their duty belts.

I 'd prefer an enclosed pouch for the TQ to protect it from the environment / UV but that's still an ingenious idea.

Well done.

Other alternatives include pocket carry or ankle carry, both of which have their share of positive and negative options to go along with each.

Ankle Carry makes it difficult to access and can force you to stop and / or assume an awkward position to access. It's also not immediately recognizable to teammates / first responders in the event of buddy aid. Ankles are also a location prone to amputation in IED strikes and vehicle accidents. Positive is that it is stored in an out of the way location that doesn't interfere with lethal and less lethal kit as that trumps friendly casualty treatment.

Yeah, I wanted a both hand available solution. The ankle is better then nothing, but I envision the suck of taking a round in the leg with the TQT and then having to get it from that effected leg.

I also carry a second one in a rear sap pocket, but that would be for putting on a partner.

I might rock an ankle setup for off duty carry.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I went with the First Spear TQ pouch pictured above because it keeps it enclosed from dirt/sunlight. Working in a small agency I can get called out for emergencies and I usually have time to pull a pair of pants, shirt, body armor and throw my belt on. If it isn't on my belt, it might not make it with me. This ensures I have the TQ with me at all times.

jmatt511

Amateur
Big fan of the Dark Angel Gen 2 or Gen 3 Kits. Sits in the rear midline of my belt for access by either hand. Kit contains HALO seals, Celox pads/compression bandage, nasopharengeal tube, gloves, Israeli bandage and Mojo Dart. I have another tourniquet in the front in a 11-10 pouch for self application if needed.

Jason C

Bing
Failuredrill, that's a clever solution.

I also like Bourneshooter's First Spear pouch on a missing link.

My frame of reference drives me toward an enclosed TQ pouch when possible, so if presented with the above situations I would take a few minutes to mount a First Spear or SORD pouch to the X26 holster for a combination of two good solutions.

The FS and SORD TQ pouches are the best thing going for a vertical TQ pouch and wouldn't be too hard to mount to the holster in a manner similar to Failuredrill's.

It would be a very-refined version of a TQ attached to the Safariland via Coban or tape, which I've seen in the past.

I am not encumbered with the amount of equipment that a LEO needs on the belt, so I mount a TQ pouch horizontally in front of my holster on my MRB.

tact

I use the Eleven10 TQ rigid pouches for the CAT. After several training scenarios under fire and stress, I'm switching to the SOF-T over the CAT.

tact

They both have their pros and cons I just felt like the SOF-T was a better option. I carry both but only put the SOF-T on my duty belt now. I like its metal parts above the plastic. I've seen a few of the plastic windlasses break. I work in rugged terrain and am always outside. The Velcro on the CAT can be problematic mixed with dirt and blood. Additionally, under stress while pulling the buckle back and then feeding the working end back through seems to cause some hiccups. The SOF-T has the tough webbing that only takes a good pull using a knee to pull tight. It seems to be faster and easier in attempting to stop femoral bleeds. The CAT is however faster and perhaps a tad bit easier to apply to one's own arm since it is not necessary to double back through the buckle for a brachial bleed.

Awesome, thanks. I've experienced the same things. Particularly with over used CATs used for training. I carry a SOF-T wide additionally for that same reason and to apply on others.

Jason C

Bing
tact, are you carrying the SOFTT or the SOFTT Wide?

I've also seen a windlass break on a CAT, but it was a long time ago on an older example applied to an upper thigh. Have you seen many of these windlass failures?

As for buckle routing on a CAT, have you seen any of the work done to determine whether double-routing of the strap through the buckle is necessary?

There have been some studies done and I've heard a lot of conversation about it.

Here's one worth reading, I think.

http://www.acphd.org/media/372769/cat_routing_study_-_2013.pdf

tact

tact, are you carrying the SOFTT or the SOFTT Wide?

I've also seen a windlass break on a CAT, but it was a long time ago on an older example applied to an upper thigh. Have you seen many of these windlass failures?

As for buckle routing on a CAT, have you seen any of the work done to determine whether double-routing of the strap through the buckle is necessary?

There have been some studies done and I've heard a lot of conversation about it.

Here's one worth reading, I think.

http://www.acphd.org/media/372769/cat_routing_study_-_2013.pdf

I'm just carrying the regular SOF-T. The study was interesting and pointed out some of the shortcomings we found with the CAT. One thing that stood out was the fact that there was no fluids introduced into the research. Velcro gets gummed up with dirt and blood essentially making a gluey mud. If using only one threading on the buckle you are relying solely on the velcro to hold all the tension the windlass will create. While dragging a buddy over rocks and brush I like the beefier construction of the SOF-T. I think a single threading for brachial bleeds is sufficient but I am not ready to use it for femoral bleeds. In any case, whatever we prefer or choose to carry, there should be continual follow on training to ensure proficiency as it could very well save you or a buddy's life.

Jason C

Bing
Agreed on the follow-on training.

The problem a lot of folks who prefer the SOFTT or SOFFT-W run up against is a lack of training for others as the CAT is much more prevalent. That's the concern I most often hear voiced as to why an individual who would switch stays with the CAT. No one else/no other local agency issues the SOFTT variants, so they stick with the CAT.

We have prepped the CAT with double-routing and have not lost considerable time when compared with single-routing when put on the clock for brachial or femoral locations for self application or applying it to others.

Whether we choose to use one or two loops when setting the TQ is of less concern to me than these windlass breaks. Can you tell me more about those?