Toddler, child trauma care

Andrew Gutt

I have a one year old daughter and I have no medical training beyond cpr. I was wondering if anyone had some reading material or advice for being prepared till the paramedics show up. A list of items that work best for children or a toddler.

RATS TQ?
NPA size?
Emergency blanket?

Santostype1

Amateur
Find a “stop the bleed” class. If you look online should find something at least semi-local.
Look at dark angel medical, North American rescue for a basic trauma kit.
Avoid the rats tq always for anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend attending a PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) class. American Heart Association has a blended class with an online portion followed by an in person skills session.

Combine that with a Stop The Bleed class for learning hemorrhage control.

CoTCCC recommended tourniquets will occlude in children as young as 6yo, younger than that direct pressure is ideal.

When it comes to airway management, if you want to step to that level perhaps consider a PHTLS (prehospital trauma life support) class. They typically run around 200 dollars and will equip you with a large amount of lifesaving skills.

Remember, med is DEFINITELY a perishable skill. Continuing education is pertinent.

Andrew Gutt

I recommend attending a PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) class. American Heart Association has a blended class with an online portion followed by an in person skills session.

CoTCCC recommended tourniquets will occlude in children as young as 6yo, younger than that direct pressure is ideal.

Thank you very much for this info. This is what I was looking for!

Andrew D. Fisher

Medical Guy
Staff member
RATS TQ? - one study demonstrated it may be beneficial over CoTCCC recommended TQs. A SWATT may be useful for peds, I do not know about the RATS, it's thin and may cause some underlying damage. If a CoTCCC recommended TQ doesn't work, any elastic type pressure dressing will work.
NPA size? - no, not worth it. Either place into a recovery position or open manually.
Emergency blanket? - not for trauma, you need something like a Ready Heat blanket.

Red Queen Hughes

Vendor
VIP

PALS is for paramedic/RN/MD. You are tested on IV drugs, defibrillation and advanced airway. OP says he has no Med training. First aid, stop the bleed and CPR including infant and child might be a better recommendation.

PALS is for paramedic/RN/MD. You are tested on IV drugs, defibrillation and advanced airway. OP says he has no Med training. First aid, stop the bleed and CPR including infant and child might be a better recommendation.

^ you’re correct, I should have double checked that recommendation.

Pediatric first aid is what I should have linked. Thanks for the correction

Andrew Gutt

RATS TQ? - one study demonstrated it may be beneficial over CoTCCC recommended TQs. A SWATT may be useful for peds, I do not know about the RATS, it's thin and may cause some underlying damage. If a CoTCCC recommended TQ doesn't work, any elastic type pressure dressing will work.
NPA size? - no, not worth it. Either place into a recovery position or open manually.
Emergency blanket? - not for trauma, you need something like a Ready Heat blanket.
This is really good information. Thank you.